2017 Cruzbike retreat in White Lake, NC

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have just returned home from this great time!
25 Cruzbike fanatics all in one place! haha
It was so great to meet everyone and hear everyone's story, and to see us all riding down the road together.
The location was fantastic - great pick Cruzbike!

Here is a short video of everyone riding down the road.

Also a couple pictures I took while there as well at the Lu Mil Vineyard
Larry, Jim, Alvin, and Doug checking his pulse (he must have just got done eating a chili footlong and wanted to make sure his heart was still working!)
20171014_103236.jpg
20171014_110644.jpg
20171014_110652.jpg
I encourage everyone else to submit some photos and tell about your time there.

Last edited:
I learned that I've ignored the thread on chain wax for long enough. I could actually hold Larry's chain without getting gunk all over. I'm sold. http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/c...t-easy-and-other-mysteries-of-this-art.10959/

I *might* have learned that I've ignored the thread on the keto diet long enough. I guess time will tell on that one, but I'll take a look: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/diet-low-carb-and-ultra-cycling.11000/

And I saw some interesting gadgets. Unfortunately I didn't take photos, but here's what I wrote down:

It was great to meet new folks at the retreat.

LarryOz

Here is a video of when Jim, Kyle, Alvin and I tried to gang up on a 7.1 mile KOM around the lake. Jim knows the guy that has it and really wanted to break it. Jim, Kyle and I stayed together pretty good, but Alvin was having trouble staying close. It is hard to do on a recumbent compared to an upright. We all ended up breaking the original KOM of Justin Smith that was 16:06 (26.5 mph), but Kyle took the KOM as he started just behind me when we started timing it! A well known trick. haha :)

Kyle 15:03 = 28.3mph
Larry 15:04 = 28.3mph
Jim 15:21 = 27.8 mph
Alvin 15:36 = 27.5mph (this was a solo effort - Alvin worked harder than all of us)

Alvin later road it solo again and did it in 15:08 = 28.2mph

NeaL

Guru
About 16 miles. Good to know. I'm hoping that I'll be able to attend the next Cruzbike retreat with my kids since I'm planning to get them each their own Cruzbikes next Christmas-ish time. I'll need to plan some rides to help get us all ready for that long of a journey.

twhbent

I learned that I've ignored the thread on chain wax for long enough. I could actually hold Larry's chain without getting gunk all over. I'm sold. http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/c...t-easy-and-other-mysteries-of-this-art.10959/

I *might* have learned that I've ignored the thread on the keto diet long enough. I guess time will tell on that one, but I'll take a look: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/diet-low-carb-and-ultra-cycling.11000/

And I saw some interesting gadgets. Unfortunately I didn't take photos, but here's what I wrote down:

Doug,
The longer kickstand used was made by http://www.click-stand.com/click-stand-home-page.html.
With the weight of the triangle it really works well.
The smaller kickstand is made by upstanding(https://upstandingbicycle.com/) and adds some additional insurance.
Together they both compliment each other, although you could get by with only the click stand version.
I initially bought the smaller upstand for my wife's diamond frame and decided I needed one for my Vendetta as well.
I will try and post some pics of the setup latter.

Cudos to the Parkers.
What an enjoyable weekend I had. With the meeting of new people/faces with their stories and the recommendations on how to improve on our riding techniques/skills.

Alvin, I'm going to try and find some of your favorite fried feathers dish (here in Illinois) you were pushing while at the Wine Festival.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I had a GREAT time at my first Cruzbike retreat. We did a lot of riding on (mostly) quiet roads, but the best times were just sitting/standing around the beautiful lake-front facility learning about each other and all the bikes and their modifications and gadgets.

My favorite ride of the weekend was the 50-mile return trip from Lu Mill Vineyard back to White Lake that took us across one of the few remaining inland ferries in the country.

Here is the "fast" group for that 50-miler (L > R) Jim, Peter, Lanier, Kyle, Doug, Larry, Alvin, and Rick about to cross the Cape Fear River on the Elwell ferry.

upload_2017-10-16_10-15-42.png

The weather for the weekend was about perfect. The water in the lake was still quite warm enough to enjoy a swim. The food was really great, too.

We had new and experienced Cruzbike riders at the retreat. The FFA facility was a perfect place to learn to ride and try out new bikes.

We had fun at the Cruzbike Olympics where the TACOCATs (spell tacocat backwards) went up against the Fighting Goats.

I learned A LOT from my fellow Cruzbike riders. I am always impressed at what a smart bunch of people ride Cruzbikes.

Thanks to everyone for coming. Special thanks to Robert Holler for all the wrenching he did over the weekend, keeping everyone rolling smoothly.

Jim

twhbent

Doug,

Here is the link to a previous post regarding the upstand/clickstand with pics. https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/kickstand-for-silvio-and-vendetta.8942/#post-128809

Barefoot Biker

I was prepared to throw an elbow at the finish if needed... ;-) But get this: Larry went out solo the next day and took back the KOM from me!!! He is the man.

This is a description of the rear view radar I was using:

I had a flat a few days before the retreat and I was covered in grease by the time I finished changing it in the field. Seeing Larry's waxed chain has convinced me as well.

A couple more highlights:

1. Chasing Alvin on our "No Drop" fast ride. He did clarify that because it was a no drop ride he expected everyone to keep up. At about the time we found ourselves alone and out of cell phone range off course far beyond our last turn, I was starting to think he was dropping everyone on purpose!
2. Pushing 500 watts on Larry's bike on the trainer at over 100 rpm and then trying to do the same thing at around 70 rpm. I knew high cadence makes power more easily than low cadence, but experiencing the pedals coming to an absolute halt at the low rpm brought the lesson home.
3. Hearing everyones story and getting to know everyone. I learned a ton!
4. Watching B Girl learn to ride!

This is a picture of B Girl on her first day riding her new Vendetta! She rode 33 miles the first day down to the ferry and back. She broke away from the group and was the first one back by several minutes. The bike just wants to go fast. Her second day she rode 38 miles and picked up a QOM along the way. I'm afraid to swap in aero wheels!

bgirlbike.jpg

LarryOz

This is a picture of B Girl on her first day riding her new Vendetta! She rode 33 miles the first day down to the ferry and back. She broke away from the group and was the first one back by several minutes. The bike just wants to go fast. Her second day she rode 38 miles and picked up a QOM along the way. I'm afraid to swap in aero wheels!
Dang - she is even in "sandals" and platform pedals! :D
Yes the "B girl" is destined to be fast!
Let's see (lots of possible Christmas presents I see on the way):
  • PT-P1 pedals
  • Full disc back wheel
  • 80mm front wheel
  • Pro-One tubeless all around
  • Narrower handlebars
  • Q-rings
  • 155mm cranks
  • Moose Pack
  • Race case
  • Giro Attack helmet
  • Some high intensity training
.. and a star is born! :):cruzbike:;)

Oh yeah - when she gets all this perfectly fit to her - then she will probably only need about 100 watts to go 21-22 mph.
Kyle - you (and all the rest of us) will need "slightly" more power to keep up with her! :oops::eek::eek::eek::eek: Good Luck!

NeaL

Guru
4. Watching B Girl learn to ride!

View attachment 5670

How old is B Girl? I took my three, V Girl (15), T Boy (13), and J Girl (11), to the recumbent convention. I'm getting a T50 for each of them. V Girl and T Boy did soapbox derby racing for one season. J Girl was too young at the time. If any of my three take well to this, I might invest in a V20 or S40 if they'd seriously like to get into racing.

Is there an age limit for participating in bike races?

I like the "RIDE WITH #CRUZBIKE" where it is situated on the sides of those jerseys. Brilliant idea. I've been wishing there were stickers or something for the back window of my truck above the bike rack, or across the bike somehow, or brand name and logo on visibility flags.

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Fantastic that u are so into your kids. If u can keep them interested in biking the next few years you'll be doing great. Teen years. A lot of Mt biking opportunities, but I don't know about cb.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Dang - she is even in "sandals" and platform pedals! :D
Yes the "B girl" is destined to be fast!
Let's see (lots of possible Christmas presents I see on the way):
  • PT-P1 pedals
  • Full disc back wheel
  • 80mm front wheel
  • Pro-One tubeless all around
  • Narrower handlebars
  • Q-rings
  • 155mm cranks
  • Moose Pack
  • Race case
  • Giro Attack helmet
  • Some high intensity training
.. and a star is born! :):cruzbike:;)

Oh yeah - when she gets all this perfectly fit to her - then she will probably only need about 100 watts to go 21-22 mph.
Kyle - you (and all the rest of us) will need "slightly" more power to keep up with her! :oops::eek::eek::eek::eek: Good Luck!

Looks like a grand time for all spreading joy and happiness.

Now who drank what at the winery.

What a location. Keep smiling

NeaL

Guru

Oops. Sorry, from this picture and the name "B Girl," I thought this was a teen or "tween." Something my ex-wife always did in her message boards with other moms was to use the first initials instead of kids' full names.

I was looking at the group photo on the Cruzbike FaceBook page again and recognized the footwear. It looks like she might not be as adolescent as I had thought.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I learned that I've ignored the thread on chain wax for long enough. I could actually hold Larry's chain without getting gunk all over. I'm sold.
Doug - I did the same thing after seeing the @ratz chain waxing operation before RAAM.

I will also testify to the efficacy of the keto approach, in general.