2017 Raven Rock Ramble

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Just got home from the Raven Rock Ramble, an annual fundraising ride (not a race) through the foothills southwest of Raleigh, NC. It draws about 700 cyclists who can choose rides up to 100 miles in length. Maria, Larry, and I did the 100 mile (which was actually 105 miles including the parts through the park where the race begins). My Garmin says the total climbing was 5486 feet. I finished in 4:58, and got the Strava KOM for the 100-mile course.

Only fair to point out Larry was ahead of me by a good bit when he got a flat. No doubt this would be his KOM except for that. Neither of us were racing it, but treating it as a tough training ride in preparation for RAAM next month.

upload_2017-5-7_19-14-0.png

Fast times are fun, but the best part for Maria and I was that there were seven Cruzbike riders in the event (out of 8 recumbent riders in total). Here are four of them (L>R, Jim, Larry, Maria, Doug). Not pictured were Jeffrey, Mark, and Bruce.
Raven Rock Ramble.jpg

There was a nice picnic lunch afterwards, and it gave us a chance to chat and trade war stories. Perfect weather for a long bike ride.

Last edited:

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master

RAR

Just got home from the Raven Rock Ramble, an annual fundraising ride (not a race) through the foothills southwest of Raleigh, NC. It draws about 700 cyclists who can choose rides up to 100 miles in length. Maria, Larry, and I did the 100 mile (which was actually 105 miles including the parts through the park where the race begins). My Garmin says the total climbing was 5486 feet. I finished in 4:57, and got the Strava KOM for the 100-mile course.

Only fair to point out Larry was ahead of me by a good bit when he got a flat. No doubt this would be his KOM except for that. Neither of us were racing it, but treating it as a tough training ride in preparation for RAAM next month.

View attachment 4789

Fast times are fun, but the best part for Maria and I was that there were seven Cruzbike riders in the event (out of 8 recumbent riders in total). Here are four of them (L>R, Jim, Larry, Maria, Doug). Not pictured were Jeffrey, Mark, and Bruce.
View attachment 4790

There was a nice picnic lunch afterwards, and it gave us a chance to chat and trade war stories. Perfect weather for a long bike ride.
Wow, don't know how I missed that one. Had I known you all were going to be there I would have been there with you.

Rick

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
There was a guy named Bruce from Chapel Hill on a yellow Vendetta, riding in sandals and a loose-fitting shirt-sleeve button-front shirt. He broke ahead of the lead pack after me and rode with Larry and I for several miles... a very strong rider. He stopped at a rest-stop and I didn't see him after that. Any one know him?

There was a guy named Bruce from Chapel Hill on a yellow Vendetta, riding in sandals and a loose-fitting shirt-sleeve button-front shirt. He broke ahead of the lead pack after me and rode with Larry and I for several miles... a very strong rider. He stopped at a rest-stop and I didn't see him after that. Any one know him?

I haven't met him yet, but I'm told he is Bruce Boehm and rides with the Tar Wheels bike club in Chapel Hill. I'll send you his email contact privately.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Sounds like a lot of fun by all. I've gotta say it though, Larry should just go ahead, get it over with and name his bike "Gremlin". Out of curiosity is he still fighting the tubeless trend?
I love the tubeless - Road them for over a year without a single flat. I damaged my drive tire and needed to mount a new Pro One but could not before this ride, so I rode my Conti 4000 - with a latex tube - guess what - No tubeless = more flats for me! I am just glad it happened within a mile of an aid station going at slow speed. It could have been going 45mph down a hill 10 miles from anything. If that had happened, I might still be in the ditch!
I tried to change my tube first on the side of the road. I think I had it in about 5 minutes, then as I was trying to pump up a decent psi , I crack the valve extender and then had to put the wheel back on just to walk it back to the aid station. Then instead of just sticking a new tube in and pumping it up, the guy there had to try and figure out what was wrong with my tube(s) and extender(s). Jim goes by, 5 other guys go by, Maria goes by - I was down for 25 minutes. Pretty frustrating. I caught up to Maria and road with her for a little while, then decided to try and catch Jim. I ran out of time. Congrats to Jim for taking the KOM. I got a couple too (so I have a consolation prize. :D), just not the big one.
Like Jim said it was not a race, just some good real world training for RAAM. We got that, and hopefully got any flats out of my system!

I love the tubeless - Rode them for over a year without a single flat.

Larry, have you ever had a puncture with the Pro One's that the sealant fixed? Are you using Orange Endurance sealant? How often do you have to reapply the sealant?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I tried to change my tube first on the side of the road. I think I had it in about 5 minutes, then as I was trying to pump up a decent psi , I crack the valve extender and then had to put the wheel back on just to walk it back to the aid station

For those wondering; Larry will be riding RAAM; myself and another will be the mechanics handling his repairs. I have two very large bottles of Orange Endurance if we can make it through the desert heat with the sealant in liquid form, all will be good.

Jeffrey Ritter

I haven't met him yet, but I'm told he is Bruce Boehm and rides with the Tar Wheels bike club in Chapel Hill. I'll send you his email contact privately.
Bruce is a legend here in Carolina Tarwheels. I finally met him at the start--very strong rider. BTW, for those who knew of my short ride due to the pothole, I am sore but okay, the bike is fine (always more important), but hey, a question: I am struggling to re-install my front wheel on the Silvio 3.0. I hate to be a newbie, but any suggestions are welcomed on how to keep the derailleur stable. Friction tape? Epoxy? I think both were suggested but I welcome details and tips. Thanks.

LarryOz

Larry, have you ever had a puncture with the Pro One's that the sealant fixed? Are you using Orange Endurance sealant? How often do you have to reapply the sealant?
I hit something on my track once doing about 25mph - Bang - and I expected the rear wheel to go flat but it never did. That was at about 80 miles into 145.
When I got done, the tire was down to about 30 psi. No wonder I was going slower. It did feel a little squishy too. It was a pretty bad gash, but once I let the tire sit with the gash pointing down it eventually sealed and I rode the rest of the year on it.
I never added any sealant. I put the recommended amount in (orange stuff) and it performed great. (We may be talking 5000 miles of outdoor riding. The rest of the time they just sit there in the garage and watch me on the trainer. :rolleyes:

It was a pretty bad gash, but once I let the tire sit with the gash pointing down it eventually sealed and I rode the rest of the year on it.
Hmmm, I could see riding the rest of the day on it, but beyond seems daredevil. But I could see how you'd be sold on them.

pedlpadl

I'm the Mark that rode in RRR. Got to say hello to Jim, Maria and Larry. Nice to have met all of you! And great to see so many Cruzbikes in one place.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
...but hey, a question: I am struggling to re-install my front wheel on the Silvio 3.0. I hate to be a newbie, but any suggestions are welcomed on how to keep the derailleur stable. Friction tape? Epoxy? I think both were suggested but I welcome details and tips. Thanks.

I've learned to prop up the boom when I change a front flat so this separation won't happen, but here is another solution that works if you don't run front disk brakes:
Get the front wheel and RD back on and place two medium zip-ties as in the photo below. I put a yellow arrow on the one to put on first. Loop it through the lower disc brake mount hole and around the left fork leg. Don't zip it all the way tight yet. Next put the second zip-tie around the lower chainstay and through the other zip tie. Next alternate tightening each zip-tie until they are both really tight. Trim the excess zip-ties off and that's it! You only need to do this to the left side of the fork. The right side will stay together if the left side does.

upload_2017-5-9_15-0-0.png

Jeffrey Ritter

Thanks! I had tried to do something similar on the derailleur side and was not having any luck. Makes sense, of course.

LarryOz

Thanks! I had tried to do something similar on the derailleur side and was not having any luck. Makes sense, of course.
Hi Jeffrey,
I certainly stand corrected (Thanks Jim!) - and I apologize for leading you astray on tie-wraping the derailleur side together. (it has been so long I forgot)
Yes, remember now - the other side was easy to tie-wrap together.
Good Luck - and let us know how it is going!

Jeffrey Ritter

Thanks to Larry and Jim! One other tip for any other Newbies is to push the B button on the rear derailleur and lock out the cage. Wow, that helps a lot too. Tie-wrap is done and, kudos to Cruzbike, the bike was not harmed. Had everything checked over by LBS, who enjoy the challenge of working on a Cruz! Sadly no one wanted to provide any care to my sore tailbone, but, a week later, I am heading out again on the bike. Sore. but unfazed.

pedlpadl

IMG_1720.JPG Pictures available here. If you can't find your picture there, try Facebook, "Dave Gill, Event Photojournalist" and click on photos. I couldn't find Bruce or the guy on the Silvio, but Jim, Maria, Larry and Doug are all there. I didn't want to post them without your permission.

Last edited:

LarryOz

The Parker's always have a smile on their face!
Not me - haha - I remember when this was taken! Just as I passed 104 miles - I look a little "worn" - :p:D:D
I showed this to my wife last night - and she immediately got on the phone to the fashion police!
I told her there was some form of "black" in each piece I had on (well - except for maybe the arm coverings!) haha
Good memories