6-12-24 Hour World Time Trial Championships Perez vs the World

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations. Remarkable ride and very consistent. Almost like you did not stop and rode like an electric motor.

It is interesting that the 4th place finisher (Marko) required 245 watts.

I wonder if your power meter needs calibrated? Huge difference in power needed. I'm a little surprised.....would have guessed 185-190 watts. Awesome race. Congrats.

Some interesting data between this year and last, basically I worked harder to go slower but managed to reset my previous course record by 3 mins simply by spending less time stopped in the pits.

______________2016_______2017
Miles__________510________510
Time__________23:53:00____23:50:00
Moving Avg speed__22.0_______21.5
Total Avg speed____21.3_______21.4
HR_____________127_______131
Watts___________150_______164
Calories_________13,994_____15,620
Training Load______679_______799

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Congratulations. Remarkable ride and very consistent. Almost like you did not stop and rode like an electric motor.

It is interesting that the 4th place finisher (Marko) required 245 watts.

I wonder if your power meter needs calibrated? Huge difference in power needed. I'm a little surprised.....would have guessed 185-190 watts. Awesome race. Congrats.

My meter has tested within a single % of my Tacx neo smart trainer which are known to be very accurate. I also see from many riders on zwift that when going from most other power meters or trainers that they loose 5-10% off their FTP when making the switch to the neo. Basically there seems to be a lot of trainers and powermeters out there in production that inflate the egos of their owners with overinflated wattage values. I've also seen higher values come from another local rider who will do a ride with me the whole time and magically average 10% more then me even though he's slightly lighter then me and we're both on similar bikes.

So first off I'm 5'10" tall with Marko being 3-4" taller then me so he does catch more wind then me even when I'm on my DF bike. Marko probably also outweighs me by 20lbs if not more, I don't know his exact weight but we look similarly purportioned with him just having a larger frame. So more base weight with slightly higher then average CDA because of his size and then maybe a overzealous power meter and he could easily out power me in the data.

Sadly if this is the case it becomes a double edge sword of sorts. If true makes the V20 look extra efficient putting me ahead of someone averaging nearly 100 watts more, great for brand marketing. If not so true then it overshadows my own performance and only adds to my slogan of "I'm not special, anyone can do this stuff". Also if not so true it hurts our stand to put ourselves on equal ground with the DF riders. Me finishing ahead of Marko at 90 watts less just further strengthen their position that bents and DF aren't equal and shouldn't be in the same class.

I should note that during my mountainous 200 mile races my average wattage is much closer to the DF riders who finish with close to the same time as me. I'm normally lower but it's usually only 10-15 watts.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Marko is about 185 lbs or 85 kg if I recall. A few years ago at Borrego Springs, I asked him what power he was going to ride at and he told me he was going to hold 250-260 watts for the whole race. I thought to myself, "wow...holy $^%#" and on two laps, I killed myself to stay about 400 yards behind him. I was 190 lbs and also similarly equipped bikewise as he. It took me around 265 watts to do the lap as fast as he did and then I blew up......LOL.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I think I remember that Marko was able to hold 250-260watts for the first 12-hour in 2016, but not through the entire 24-hour period.
Still incredible!
I am trying to talk him into trying out a Cruzbike - it would be interesting to see what he could do with it.
I can go close to 30mph on that wattage - but I can also only do it for an hour. :(

Jim Parker: You should build one of you spares to his body specs and take it to Sebring. I'll bet with a little prodding he would try it! I think he would jump at the chance of something to be able to beat Strasser latest 585 for 24 hours!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Marko shares his Strava publically, so it seems fair to post it here. 245 watts average.

I love the analytical side. Can't look into it right now

I am totally impressed with RoJo's placing.

Marko was National Champ in his country more than once and Silver Medalist World Master Roads, so, one would expect a huge engine and he does use those high custom aero bars for comfort. The risers are aluminum and maybe 80 mm high. So, his CdA might 'only' be like 0.30 or 0.290. In any case, awesome job on the second place.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1262432532

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
85kg puts marko 15kg heavier than me at 70kg. So first off you can't use someones weighted avg power, you have to go with their actual average power because weighted power get inflated the more poorly a rider paces themselves. Notice my avg vs weighted is only a difference of 6 watts vs his at 19watts, so that's data proof that I paced myself more evenly than him. Ok back to avg powers but in Watt per kilo I managed 2.34w/kg and Marko at 2.65w/kg that's a 13% difference. In order to equal Marko's 2.65w/kg(226watts) I would need to have averaged 185watt which is definitely within my range in the next year or two should I choose to continue as I have. 13% performance difference is massive at this level but then again I did make a 9% performance gain myself this year over last year so maybe two more years or a single year if I start "training".

Hopefully I can get Marko out to California for a few double centuries and I can compare our honest efforts with me in my Trek. I suspect he'll have his way with me in the second 100 miles because I don't do much long miles on that bike but it'll be a cool test ether way.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My meter has tested within a single % of my Tacx neo smart trainer which are known to be very accurate. I also see from many riders on zwift that when going from most other power meters or trainers that they loose 5-10% off their FTP when making the switch to the neo. Basically there seems to be a lot of trainers and powermeters out there in production that inflate the egos of their owners with overinflated wattage values. I've also seen higher values come from another local rider who will do a ride with me the whole time and magically average 10% more then me even though he's slightly lighter then me and we're both on similar bikes.

So first off I'm 5'10" tall with Marko being 3-4" taller then me so he does catch more wind then me even when I'm on my DF bike. Marko probably also outweighs me by 20lbs if not more, I don't know his exact weight but we look similarly purportioned with him just having a larger frame. So more base weight with slightly higher then average CDA because of his size and then maybe a overzealous power meter and he could easily out power me in the data.

Sadly if this is the case it becomes a double edge sword of sorts. If true makes the V20 look extra efficient putting me ahead of someone averaging nearly 100 watts more, great for brand marketing. If not so true then it overshadows my own performance and only adds to my slogan of "I'm not special, anyone can do this stuff". Also if not so true it hurts our stand to put ourselves on equal ground with the DF riders. Me finishing ahead of Marko at 90 watts less just further strengthen their position that bents and DF aren't equal and shouldn't be in the same class.

I should note that during my mountainous 200 mile races my average wattage is much closer to the DF riders who finish with close to the same time as me. I'm normally lower but it's usually only 10-15 watts.

Now that we've added the Tax Neo to the mix I have data from enough stuff to make some conclusions.
We tested with Qty2 Riders, Qty 4 V20 frames, Qty 4 P1 Pedal Sets, Qty 2 Kickr, Qty 2 Neo's
  • P1 Pedals Vs Kickr V1 = Kickr Reads 15 watts lower than the P1 all day everyday;
we specifically got extra P1's for the trainer so we could map Sustained wattage indoors and outdoors without translation. If you always train at a sustained 190 it's really nice to go outdoors and look for the familiar numbers
  • P1 Pedals Vs Neo = Dead on match within 1 watt and that just appears to be the micro lag from the crank to the Neo.
  • Indoor versus outdoors; Outdoor power from <= 30s power is drastically higher than indoors; I attribute that to the mobility of the bike beneath the rider making it easier to really drop the hammer and man-handle the bike for a short time.
  • I use to think creating outdoor power for >1min was easier outdoors; I now know that is all mostly EGO, because in a Zwift race, my 1 min - 20 min numbers look just like my rabbit chasing outdoors numbers; apparently I have a competitive streak after all.
The Neo is so accurate I'll probably sell our two extra sets fo P1 Pedals as they are redundant now.

Lastly if I ride a TT bike in Zwift and put out steady state ERG derived power my speeds are pretty darn close to my v20 speeds; I maybe give up 1 mph in the virtual world.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Monster truck tires on a dual aero disc wheeled bent. I never got to see it other then the few time I passed him but those wheels were super wide and the tires had to be close to 2" width. He wasn't as stable as myself in the high cross winds the last hour but he was far from as unstable as I would have expected.
View attachment 5877

Is that an elephant in the background lol

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jond is late to the party and didn't know we have post apocalyptic metal elephants roaming the California deserts.

ccf

Guru
Now that we've added the Tax Neo to the mix I have data from enough stuff to make some conclusions.
We tested with Qty2 Riders, Qty 4 V20 frames, Qty 4 P1 Pedal Sets, Qty 2 Kickr, Qty 2 Neo's
  • P1 Pedals Vs Kickr V1 = Kickr Reads 15 watts lower than the P1 all day everyday;
we specifically got extra P1's for the trainer so we could map Sustained wattage indoors and outdoors without translation. If you always train at a sustained 190 it's really nice to go outdoors and look for the familiar numbers
  • P1 Pedals Vs Neo = Dead on match within 1 watt and that just appears to be the micro lag from the crank to the Neo.
  • Indoor versus outdoors; Outdoor power from <= 30s power is drastically higher than indoors; I attribute that to the mobility of the bike beneath the rider making it easier to really drop the hammer and man-handle the bike for a short time.
  • I use to think creating outdoor power for >1min was easier outdoors; I now know that is all mostly EGO, because in a Zwift race, my 1 min - 20 min numbers look just like my rabbit chasing outdoors numbers; apparently I have a competitive streak after all.
The Neo is so accurate I'll probably sell our two extra sets fo P1 Pedals as they are redundant now.

How did you compare your P1s to the Neo?

ccf

Guru
@ratz the reason I ask is that it looks to me like my P1 pedals are reading a bit lower than my Tacx Neo. I would expect it to be the other way around. I have the Powertap mobile app. But when I run the Powertap mobile app during a session on the trainer, the Powertap mobile app just goes into auto-pause, and I get no stored data. I want to do a comparison of the time series data coming from the pedals and the trainer to see how big the difference really is.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
How did you compare your P1s to the Neo?
I connect my pedals to my garmin and my neo to zwift then at the start of a zwift race I'll start my garmin and stop it when I finish. It's important you don't completely stop in zwift as it'll auto pause the data on the neo end but not the garmin vector side. End you ride will upload your zwift ride to strava then you can sync your garmin to strava or connect and compare your average power as well as max power readings. I like to use zwift races but you can do the comparison during a workout or any free ride as long as both ride start and finish at the same time with no pausing. I once did a 20 min erg session at a strait 200 watts and ended with the same near exact average power as I get during the races between the two meters.