650B Tubless tire options

rx7mark

Guru
I have been daydreaming a little about a Vendetta, and was thinking there might be some advantage to go with a 650B wheel set for those of us that might be considered on the heavier Clydesdale side of the population and would prefer a slightly wider tire, assuming a disk break wheel set. There should also be a slight aero advantage, that might offset any rolling resistance disadvantage. Ratz even mentioned he was thinking about a 650B wheel set to improve aero. Anybody do any testing with a smaller wheel set on a Vendetta?

The only issue I can see is the limited tubeless tire selection in the 28mm to 35mm range. I really wish someone made something in this size equivalent to a Pro one. Has anybody found any options?

I know a 28mm Pro one will fit in 700c, and that is probably what I would go with if I had to decide now. Probably mount on a something like the Zipp 303 Firecrest tubeless disc wheel set, that can be built with 28 spokes front and rear, if I can afford them. What got me thinking along the 650B lines is that this exact wheel set is now available in a 650B size also.

Mark

Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Schwalbe G-One speed comes in 650B 30mm and is tubeless.

There is another one.....I need to think

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Schwalbe G-One speed comes in 650B 30mm and is tubeless.

There is another one.....I need to think

+1 to the G-one have those on box rims on my sons bike and it's a great tire. I specifically think would be a good tire for the S40.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I suspect the Compass Babyshoe TC would fit the S40. It is 42mm. Been thinking of the S40 this morning.

You could use Schwalbe’s G-One Speed in 1.5” (38mm) or 1.2” (30.5mm.) I wish Compass still sold their 32mm tires but I can vouch for their 38mm.
The Zipp 303 Firecrest looks great and is available with 24 spoke option. The internal width of 21 mm means there would be some step-off aero penalty when paired with wide tires.
WTB has a couple rims with 32 spokes that have 24 and 31mm internal width that may be aero with wider tires.

rx7mark

Guru
Yep the Zipp 303, is aero with 28-30mm only. I have aluminum WTB on my T50 now, and have looked at their composites also, as another option.

The Zipp 303 can be custom built with a 28 spoke count according to wheelbuilder.com. The WTB ci24 would allow me to build my own wheels for half the price of the Zipp, so definitey still an option.

Thanks for the info on the G-one Speeds, they look promising.

Mark

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Yep the Zipp 303, is aero with 28-30mm only. I have aluminum WTB on my T50 now, and have looked at their composites also, as another option.

The Zipp 303 can be custom built with a 28 spoke count according to wheelbuilder.com. The WTB ci24 would allow me to build my own wheels for half the price of the Zipp, so definitey still an option.

Thanks for the info on the G-one Speeds, they look promising.

Mark
I have a stupid question as I think about an S40. The rear wheel goes on the front, I get that. Do you put another rear wheel (130 or 135mm) on the rear of the bike or do you put a front wheel back there (112mm)?

rx7mark

Guru
The traditional front wheel goes in the back. But I think you have to be careful not to put a low spoke count DF front wheel on the back of a Cruzbike.

Mark

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The traditional front wheel goes in the back. But I think you have to be careful not to put a low spoke count DF front wheel on the back of a Cruzbike.

Mark
That's interesting... I have an 18 spoke carbon bontranger on mine. Any issue here tribe?:rolleyes:

rx7mark

Guru
That's interesting... I have an 18 spoke carbon bontranger on mine. Any issue here tribe?:rolleyes:

Remember I mentioned I am on the heavier side of things at 6'2" and 210lbs, so I worry about using race type wheels that may have been designed for a more typical weight rider. In addition, I think Cruzbike's might load the front wheel, that is relocated to the rear, more than a DF loads its front. But then again I am a structural engineer, and tend to be a little conservative, so I put 32 spoke wheels on my T50. But it's a commuter and recreational bike only. YMMV.

Mark

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If you go disk brakes, then 32 spokes I think should be the standard, due to the braking torque going through the spokes!
If you are on the slightly heavier side, like me, then I would stay away from Carbon Fibre Rims or Hubs!

I am 113 kg (248 lbs) and use a 24 aero spoke drive wheel with 30 mm deep Al rim 19 mm outside 15 mm inside Hand built TWE wheel, and a 28 spoke non drive TWE on my 2008 Silvio V1.0 45 degree seat back, with rim brakes.
I have been airborne many times going over cattle grids at 70 kph, and landing evenly with no bouncing, due to 28 mm tyres at 100 psi, and 32 mm travel air bag front suspension, and 15 mm Poly rear suspension.
In the 9 years of bike riding, I have not needed to true the wheels once!

super slim

Zen MBB Master

Mark
The weight balance is 50% front, 50% rear on most Cruzbikes, NOT 40% front, 60% rear on most DF racing bikes

G-One speed is not available in 30mm width for 650B rims. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-g-one-speed.html
You are somewhat correct in that they are almost always out.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/G-ONE_Speed
PERFORMANCE LINE / FOLDING TIRE
Item #11600929 30-584 (27.5 x 1.20) RaceGuard @ $48
EVOLUTION LINE / FOLDING TIRE
item #11600997 40-584 (27.5 x 1.50) MicroSkin, TL Easy @ $80

This underscores the limited availability of road tires in 650b sizes. I guess the small market place for this is why Compass quit the 32mm 650b. Unless we see more availability, I would be hesitant to invest more in this size. For now I’m sticking with the SRAM Rail 50/Compass 38mm combo that has given me a comfortable, but less aero, ride on my Vendetta.
By the way, Compass recently made their 42mm 650b tires tubeless compatible. They may extend that to smaller sizes.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
It took me 6 months to get my hands on the perpetually "out" S-0ne 700x30 tubeless that preceded the g-one. Not sure why but they are not easy to get. Grad Bois used to offer a 32mm 650b tire that seemed identical to Jan's extralegere except a bit more rubber on the tread. They were not tubeless. There are 38 mm tube required and above but not much in the 650b narrow range. I just measured my Compass Loup Loup 650x38. On HED Belgium plus rims, they are just a shade over 37mm at 40 psi with buytl tubes. Light tubes are also hard to find for 27.5 inch. I scored some 26 inch Michelins butyl tubes made in France that only weigh 140 grams.....just a little stretching. There really are not many 30-32 mm tubeless offerings in 700c either.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
It took me 6 months to get my hands on the perpetually "out" S-0ne 700x30 tubeless that preceded the g-one. Not sure why but they are not easy to get. Grad Bois used to offer a 32mm 650b tire that seemed identical to Jan's extralegere except a bit more rubber on the tread. They were not tubeless. There are 38 mm tube required and above but not much in the 650b narrow range. I just measured my Compass Loup Loup 650x38. On HED Belgium plus rims, they are just a shade over 37mm at 40 psi with buytl tubes. Light tubes are also hard to find for 27.5 inch. I scored some 26 inch Michelins butyl tubes made in France that only weigh 140 grams.....just a little stretching. There really are not many 30-32 mm tubeless offerings in 700c either.
I would love to have Compass Loup Loup 650x38 in tubeless version. But Compass is not planning to make this tires in tubeless version. I am currious if Schwalbe g-one speed 650x40 fitted on HED Belgium plus rims can fit to fork of Vendetta.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
You are somewhat correct in that they are almost always out.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/G-ONE_Speed
PERFORMANCE LINE / FOLDING TIRE
Item #11600929 30-584 (27.5 x 1.20) RaceGuard @ $48
EVOLUTION LINE / FOLDING TIRE
item #11600997 40-584 (27.5 x 1.50) MicroSkin, TL Easy @ $80

This underscores the limited availability of road tires in 650b sizes. I guess the small market place for this is why Compass quit the 32mm 650b. Unless we see more availability, I would be hesitant to invest more in this size. For now I’m sticking with the SRAM Rail 50/Compass 38mm combo that has given me a comfortable, but less aero, ride on my Vendetta.
By the way, Compass recently made their 42mm 650b tires tubeless compatible. They may extend that to smaller sizes.
But this is cheaper non tubeless version.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I would love to have Compass Loup Loup 650x38 in tubeless version. But Compass is not planning to make this tires in tubeless version. I am currious if Schwalbe g-one speed 650x40 fitted on HED Belgium plus rims can fit to fork of Vendetta.

I would never again run a Compass tire tubeless. The casings are too weak as is the bead. They are a comfortable ride but tubes and sealant for me when I run them.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I would never again run a Compass tire tubeless. The casings are too weak as is the bead. They are a comfortable ride but tubes and sealant for me when I run them.
What Compass tires were you running tubeless? Does selant work in tubes for you?