A very interesting CYCLIST article about climbing

When climbing a steep hill on your Cruzbike, what percent of the time are you leaning forward?

• Total voters

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
While specifically about standard bike racing, much of this article applies to us Cruzbike racers. Maria and I have noticed that when we are passing RWD bents on climbs, we are often switching between our usually laid-back (open) position to a "sitting up" (closed) position.

Many standard bike riders do the opposite of what we Cruzbike racers do... they change from a closed to an open (standing) position when climbing steep hills. This article discusses the reasons for getting out of the saddle when climbing and explains the significant changes in angles at the hips, knees, and ankles when going between open and closed positions. It makes sense to me that changing positions (either way) would be beneficial to bring in "fresh" muscles.

The article also mentions the added benefit of engaging the upper body for leverage on wide handlebars, which also applies directly to us.

I also found the discussion on the ideal cadence for flat vs. climbing interesting; and exactly corresponds to what I have found works best for me.

The article can be found here, and I have also inserted it below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should you sit or stand when climbing?

by James Witts 22 MAY 2015

The pros can't decide which position is best for climbing, so we ask the scientists for advice on cycling technique

At this year’s Vuelta a Espana, two exceptional climbers went head-to-head on some of Spain’s most feared mountains. Time and again, Alberto Contador and Chris Froome slugged it out on the ascents, often equally matched, but rarely demonstrating the same technique. Contador, the eventual winner, tended to prefer an out-of-the-saddle style of climbing (‘dancing on the pedals’ as Phil Liggett would put it), while Sky’s Chris Froome would usually stay seated and spin a fast cadence. Both techniques were effective, but which should we emulate?

‘It’s all about the steepness and length of the climb,’ says former Team BMC rider Marco Pinotti. ‘The shallower the climb, the faster you go, so you don’t need to stand. It’s also more aerodynamic when you sit. If it’s steep, you can enjoy a brief advantage by standing.’ As a six-time Italian National champ, Pinotti’s been there and burnt the quads, but does that broad anecdotal brush reflect textbook physics? We’re sure that through beads of sweat and with an aorta that’s at bursting point, you’ve pondered the mechanical work that you and your strained limbs are undertaking. If you haven’t, here’s a reminder of the power required to tame Alpe d’Huez:

W = krMs + kaAsv2 + giMs

We’re all familiar with this of course, but just as a recap, W is power, kr is rolling resistance, M is the combined mass of cyclist and bicycle, s is speed on the road, ka is air resistance, A is the combined frontal area of cyclist and bicycle, v is speed through the air (including headwind), g is gravitational acceleration and i is incline. It’s a convoluted way of saying that lighter riders with a high power-to-weight ratio tend to excel in the mountains. But does the technique of smaller riders such as Joaquim Rodriguez – all of 5ft 7in and 59kg – reflect scientific theory?

Climbing balancing act
In 2008, Professor Ernst Hansen discovered that road cyclists were better off remaining seated until the gradient hit 10%. From then on standing became more effective in terms of sustained power output, although the riders consumed 5% more oxygen when standing. During short (less than 30 seconds) all-out bursts, peak power output has been measured at 25% greater when standing compared to sitting, but there is trade off. Research has shown that even at shallower gradients of around 4%, ascending at 19kmh while seated requires 10% less oxygen than when standing. That’s primarily because the body’s centre of mass is supported by the saddle, conserving energy. Science and real life aren’t always happy bedfellows, but it seems Hansen’s Lycra-clad lab rats reflect the peloton. ‘In general, I’ll only stand up on steep sections – around 10% plus,’ says Tejvan Pettinger, winner of the 2013 British Hill Climbing Championships, ‘though standing up is more tiring so usually this is left to below 60-second bouts.’

Those brief out-of-saddle bursts are common across all levels of cycling, whether for varying the effort or accelerating away from a rival, though some riders stay standing long enough to raise eyebrows. At the 2013 Vuelta, American Chris Horner became the oldest winner of a Grand Tour. His 41 years dominated the headlines, but cycling aficionados were more interested in his climbing style. ‘I’ve never seen a rider spend so long out of the saddle, climbing in a big gear,’ says Professor Louis Passfield, who has worked with British Cycling as lead sports scientist. ‘But clearly it worked.’

Standing has the potential to elicit greater power output due to differences in the kinetic chain, starting with the upper body. ‘When standing, the rider can produce greater leverage from the handlebars,’ says Tinkoff-Saxo’s Daniel Healey, who was formerly the head of sports science at BMC, ‘and the wider the better to increase this lever. Horner at the Vuelta 2013 had super-wide bars.’ Horner’s 44cm-46cm handlebars were purportedly down to a mechanic fitting the wrong ones several seasons back, and he stuck with them.

Playing the angles
‘Standing up also alters many of your body’s angles with a key one being at the hip,’ adds Passfield. ‘By opening this up, you activate more muscles, including the glutes and more of the calves, which gives you more power potential. When seated, that “closed” hip angle can restrict power output.’

The range of hip motion from seated to standing rises from around 40° to 70°. This range increases at the knees, too, from around 30° to 75°. Finally, the range of ankle movement increases from a seated 25° to standing 40°. ‘These angles are close to what you get when running,’ says Passfield, ‘which certainly pays off in the propulsive [down] phase.’ More power is possible when standing, then, but there’s an energy cost. ‘This sounds obvious but it’s down to efficiency,’ says Passfield. ‘It comes down to factors like producing more power for less energy, how much heat you emit and so on. In the past people thought efficiency couldn’t be trained but James Hopker and myself showed that it could. With regard to climbing, this efficiency is targeted, so if you train on climbs in the saddle most the time, that’s where you’ll see the benefits; vice versa when standing.’

Passfield suspects your preferred climbing style arises from your experience from the moment you seriously ride a bike, which raises the question of the effect of nationality. Does Colombia’s climbing culture, for instance, mean that the likes of Quintana and Uran tend to ride out of the saddle more than, say, Wales’s Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe? ‘I don’t think so,’ says Pinotti. ‘If there is a correlation, it’s because that country might, in general, produce certain body types. The bigger you are, the more energy you waste, so standing is uneconomical. If you’re light like Nairo Quintana [58kg], that doesn’t apply as much.’ For the record, Contador weighs 62kg and Froome 69kg, which might be a factor in why the heavier of the two prefers to sit.

There’s also the matter of cadence. Numerous studies have shown that 80 to 90rpm is optimum on the flat; slightly less on the hills. Research on the 2008 Tour de France showed that the average cadence on the 17.5km long and 1,208m high Galibier came in at 67rpm, while the 10.3km and 8.3% Saint-Lary-Soulan registered a lower 64rpm. As Pinotti says, ‘Your cadence can’t sink too low on the mountains or you’ll lose momentum and fall off.’ It’s certainly not a problem high-revving Froome seems to encounter.

Lightweights may dance on their pedals, derrières of heavyweights might remain planted to their saddles, but one thing unites all – climbing hurts a lot regardless.

To learn more about the science behind climbing and weight distribution Cyclist's article 'Rim weight vs Hub Weight' talks about gaining advantages on a climb.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/183/should-you-sit-or-stand-when-climbing

LMT

For me sitting down on a df spinning a low gear climbing a hill trumps over standing every time. Ime if you find yourself having to stand for long periods of time going up a hill then you need to look at your gearing. Ferrari touched on this subject way back when he was working with Armstrong, a high cadence works. http://www.53x12.com/high-pedaling-cadence

Imo recumbents are better at climbing hills because of the reduced Cda, you might be quicker up a hill on a df but more than likely you would have run yourself in the red and ''burned a match''. Getting out of the saddle could potentially reduce the RPE of a hill climb, but incorporating your upper body increases your lactate build up which ime leads to your HR going up.

On the watt bike down the local gym pushing about 300 watts over a given interval usually leads my HR to go up to around 162BPM and then over time creep up to 172BPM and then after this the pain will increase with every heart beat beyond 172. Standing up my RPE feels lower because now my upper body is taking some of the load in producing this 300 watts but I found my HR will increase by on average 2-3 minutes quicker at getting to 172BPM, then if I was sitting down. So whilst your RPE feels lower for a fixed wattage your HR has gone into the red quicker.

This is what DF riders never think through when they speak to you and utter the immortal words 'yeah, but normal bikes can climb hills better because you can pedal standing up.'

Imo working on your recumbent fitness, losing some weight and having the right gearing so your CV system takes the strain rather than your legs will help you climb hills. Whilst I have sat slightly up to produce more power to get over a rolling hill, generally speaking when it comes to a climb that requires an effort I'll be sitting back and spinning a low gear to a pre-selected power.

Just my 2p worth.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I really gots no dog in this fight, I'm overweight and underpowered. Most of my 'leaning forward' is done to help me control the bike at low speeds. My mental preference is to 'spin' and when I was riding my Baron, I usually climbed the steep stuff at 100rpm+. There was a steep little bugger nearby that ran only 200-300 ft...at a measured 10-12%. I'd peak cadence there in the 110's. That was 10 yrs ago.

On the V2/K, I tend to run cadences of 90+ on steep climbs. I simply cannot do it yet on the V20. Working on that!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
It is my simple opinion as someone who does way more than the average standing on a DF bike that leaning forward on a Vendetta is not the same or even close. Outside of Single Speed racers you won't find many cyclists who believe standing is another viable form of pedaling not meant solely for sprint efforts. On a SS Mtb you'll find yourself standing for 30 mins strait without a chance to sit down and in these moments you develop a sustainable endurance standing method. There's a rhythmic rocking of the hips forward and back when turning the low cadence but once mastered you can climb amazing things.

On the vendetta leaning forward off the seat back generally means pulling on the bars and it just feels like so much more energy is being burned for little to no effect. Maybe leaning forward works on other CruzBike models where your not as reclined as the vendetta but I don't see it as advantageous on the V.

Today I just set a new PR on a 20 min hill climb on the Vendetta that bested my previous time set with my carbon DF bike a few weeks ago. This is the first time since owning the Vendetta that I've bested a climbing PR set on the DF bike. I did no leaning forward and in fact when things get the steepest lean lean back into the seat pan even harder as if I was trying to push out those last few leg presses at the gym. What I do do is use short sprint efforts leading into the kickers of the climb to get me up and over that part faster and then recover a bit on the less steep parts between. To avoid hard shifts under power on these kickers I will start each with a slightly high cadence as I lead in and torque down as I go up all in the same gear. As my cadence slows I lean back into the seat harder as my power climbs over 400 watts and I start to wrench on the bars to correct the big pushes on the pedals. So I'm working the bars like CruzBike claims when doing the wobble uphill method but only in that time when my cadence drops and I'm giving it my all to get over these small 40' kickers mid climb.

I'm may be one of the best CruzBike climbs but I also understand I'm not the best CruzBike rider as a whole so these are only my opinion based on my current CruzBike skills.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Jason make no mistake about it. You are the top Cruzbike rider and the fact you just stated "This is the first time since owning the Vendetta that I've bested a climbing PR set on the DF bike." will cause confusion and fear in the minds of the Cruzbike hater nation. Meanwhile I'll squeal like a school girl in delight. Everyone knows it's your raw power and ability to ride anything with two wheels that's gotten you here. But even better yet we all know you have yet to learn all the nuances of the Vendetta. Keep riding vedi warrior, the best is yet to come.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Jason, whatever you are doing when beating your best carbon DF times climbing up hills, keep it up!
You wrote: "...as my power climbs over 400 watts and I start to wrench on the bars to correct the big pushes on the pedals..." That leverage on the handlebars is getting more compression on the pedals. And I gotta agree with trplay that what is really fun for us Cruzbike riders who have been at this for several years, is this... as scary fast as you are now, you are only going to get faster. You upper and lower body are getting better at working together on that V20 of yours.

The "experts" are still arguing over how best to climb on a DF after 100 years to figure it out. Cruzbike "experts" have had a lot less time and there is still much to learn.

I personally like the CYCLIST article because it supports my pet theories and experiences, but obviously other successful riders have different theories and experiences.

Also, regarding sitting up when climbing... I don''t believe that is the secret ingredient to climbing fast on a Cruzbike, but for me, its rather a mini-vacation during a long climb... I feel like it gives me a rest.

Obviously, most power for climbing come from the legs spinning efficiently. Leveraging the handlebars can increase power, and that can be done either sitting forward or leaning back on the V20. Leveraging the handlebars also increases oxygen consumption and therefore can't be done indefinitely, so short bursts when you need it are the best use, and that sound like exactly what you are doing.

Jim

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
trplay said:
will cause confusion and fear in the minds of the Cruzbike hater nation
And in me.

RojoRacing said:
I'm not the best CruzBike rider as a whole
don't be silly.

Compared with Mr Perez, I can hardly move my bicycle, but I do not lean forward when climbing. The only time I lean forward is when I am going really slowly in the pedestrian places or in a traffic jam, when I need to balance. Pick something heavy up from the floor. Pick up the same weight when it is on a table and you don't have to bend down. That will demonstrate why I don't ride DF anymore. Why, on a 'bent, put your body in the same horrible contorted position that it used to be on your Claud Butler?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, the quickest way to pedal uphill on the V, for me, is fully reclined, standing on the pedals,
pushing hard and dancing in time with the frame -the frame cancels any pedal steer or, put another way,
transforms any pedal steer into useful power.

I also sit up to see better at intersections, when starting and stopping and for better balance
when just tooling along at a crawl.