Aero Wheels designed for 28mm tires?

ccooper

I prefer to run tubulars. Is there any reason why one could not use one of the many cyclocross tubular wheels set up for disc brakes, running one of the wider road tubular tires? You can find these on the used market at reasonable prices.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Not sure, as someone who rides long distances into parts unknown I have no interest in tubulars which can't be repaired in the case of catastrophic failure.

As far as Mtb or CX wheels go that's a real option at 1/4 the cost but wouldn't net you the aero gains of deep wheels. Splitting hairs really but that's what is done at the front of the pack.

ccooper

Not sure, as someone who rides long distances into parts unknown I have no interest in tubulars which can't be repaired in the case of catastrophic failure.
I don't understand. You're talking about Schwalbe Pro One's, which are tubeless. You can have catastrophic failure on tubeless, just the same as tubular, right? And how do you repair the tubeless in that case? You can insert a spare tube if you are carrying one, but on tubular you do the same thing...just replace the tire with your spare.

Am I missing something?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I don't understand. You're talking about Schwalbe Pro One's, which are tubeless. You can have catastrophic failure on tubeless, just the same as tubular, right? And how do you repair the tubeless in that case? You can insert a spare tube if you are carrying one, but on tubular you do the same thing...just replace the tire with your spare.

Am I missing something?

Hmmmm... perhaps this is it.

Tublar's you glue on a rim without lips and the latex tube is sowen into the tire; there's no field repairing those unless I miss a memo.

Do you by chance means Clinchers with a Tube when you wrote Tublar? If so that's why Jason is confused. There are also some hybrid sewin's you can fix but they are pretty rare; they don't glue on; they go on a standard clincher wheel but the late tube is sewin to make installation of the the latex tube less prone to failure.

ccooper

Do you by chance means Clinchers with a Tube when you wrote Tublar?
No, that's not what I mean.
Correct, there is no field repair with tubulars. All you have to do is take off the old (flat) tire and put on your spare. There is enough glue or tape to hold the tire on the rim. It's not a good permanent solution, but it should be good enough to finish your ride with.
Of course, most punctures are not catastrophic. They are well-solved by using sealant, the same as you might with tubeless.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Reusing existing glue doesn't sound like something I want to chance when I descend the mountains as fast as I do. I personally need field repairs to be permanent quality. Also carrying a spare tube and a tire boot is a hell of a lot more compact then a whole tubular tire. Not saying tubulars are bad, I just don't feel they are for the majority of us.