Any tall T50 riders out there?

yangmusa

From an exchange with Cruzbike support, it sounds like I'm too tall for the T50 to be a good choice for me. But I love tinkering, and all the photos people are posting of their T50 builds are so inspiring! So I'm hoping that maybe another tall person has already tried it, and can give me the inside scoop..

I'm 6'4", and just measured my seated x-seam at 45.5". On my Sofrider with the seat base in the forward position, the cranks were substantially below the seat. I found it very hard to generate any power in that position, and it was slooooow. I moved the seat to the rearmost position, which brought the cranks roughly level with the seat. That was enough of a difference for me - it's now faster than my touring bike and in the same ballpark as my road bike.

Cruzbike told me the T50 seat is closer to the steering axis than the Sofrider seat. If they say so it must be, though I can't really tell from pictures. It does look like the T50 seat is mounted lower on the bike, which might make lower cranks ok too?

While I'm here - hat tip to Bill K for his Bacchetta Euromesh seat mod, great work! If I do end up getting a T50 that's on my list of mods! I couldn't tell from the post if it was just a test fit, or if you rode with it - how does it ride?

Last edited:

yangmusa

You could use a fiberglass/carbon shell seat and fashion your own mounting points.
Yes. I presume there's a limit to how far I can move the seat back, before I would run into traction issues? On the Sofrider with the seat in the rearmost position I occasionally spin the front wheel on takeoff, but otherwise have no issues.

If anyone has tried a different seat, mounted further back than stock - would love to hear your experiences.

Brad R

Yes. I presume there's a limit to how far I can move the seat back, before I would run into traction issues? On the Sofrider with the seat in the rearmost position I occasionally spin the front wheel on takeoff, but otherwise have no issues.

If anyone has tried a different seat, mounted further back than stock - would love to hear your experiences.

I am not as tall as you, but I will be mounting a Thor seat as soon as it arrives. I couldn't ride the base seat for more than 30 minutes without needing to get up and stretch.

yangmusa

I am not as tall as you, but I will be mounting a Thor seat as soon as it arrives. I couldn't ride the base seat for more than 30 minutes without needing to get up and stretch.
I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing all about it!

Bill K

Guru
While I'm here - hat tip to Bill K for his Bacchetta Euromesh seat mod, great work! If I do end up getting a T50 that's on my list of mods! I couldn't tell from the post if it was just a test fit, or if you rode with it - how does it ride?
I've ridden the T50 several times this week (for about 65 miles) with the EuroMesh seat. For the most part I like it.
My xseam is about 43 inches and with the seat mounting bracket slid all the way back, the boom slider is inserted about 4 1/2 inches, which means it could be extended about 2 more inches for someone with longer legs. That is with a seat angle of about 40 degrees.

Handling felt good. I climbed a 15% grade at 3 mph without wobbling and with no hint of wheel slip. And I got it up to 35 mph on a downhill.
On my longest ride (2 hours) I started to experience 'recumbut' which surprised me. It's the same seat at the same angle as when I rode with it on the Giro and I don't think I ever noticed this on the Giro. Most likely this is because I have been riding the V20 almost exclusively for a year and a half and "siting up" while riding takes some getting used to:)

rx7mark

Guru
I'm 6'2" with a 45.5 x-seam measurement, but have not finished my T50 yet, still collecting all the parts. I am hoping the basic bike with the seat as far aft as possible will work, and Cruzbike is sending an extra part to restrain the sliding joint in the boom more securely. But I am prepared to order a Thor Easy GS composite seat if I don't get along with the crank height or the seat comfort. I think the T50 design will make it easy to adapt the Thor and give me plenty of adjustment range.

I think you could make a T50 work, but like me might need ot be prepared to play with a aftermarket seat.

Mark

vertkurt

I'm not very tall (6'1") but my x-seam is 47". I'm 2/3 legs. I've been wary about placing an order for a T50 for this very reason..

rx7mark

Guru
I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing all about it!

My bike is done. No issues with a 45.5 x-seam. I did put the seat pan as far aft as it would go, then mounted the seat upper mount as high as it would go to reduce the seat angle. I might cut the length to be able to get to about 40 degrees in the future as my arms could use more room.

Cruz bike sent me a double clamp for the boom, instead of a quick release, and this feels very secure.

More details in the "What are you going to build thread"

Here is a side view to see the seat and boom position.
Side View.jpg

yangmusa

rx7mark - very nice looking build, have fun riding!

I think this confirms my suspicion that I'd need to use a custom seat. I need pedals at least even with seat (or higher) to produce any power.

rx7mark

Guru
Yangmusa,
I broke down and upgraded to a Thor GS Easy seat size large, I mounted it further aft, and it raised my BB quite a bit. You can see the thread I started in the T50 forum with pictures.

Mark

yangmusa

Your new setup looks great, rx7mark! I look forward to reading more about it as you gain experience with it. Have you noticed any increase in wheel spin from moving the seat backwards?

rx7mark

Guru
I love the new setup, but yes a slight compromise in traction on climbs. But I am faster on the flats and can apply power better so overall I am climbing stronger. Emeljay mod is coming next, and clip in Frog pedals.

Mark