Anybody using a disc brake on the front wheel of new V20?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
By the way even on the big 6000' decent where I mentioned me wanting to 180 rotor up front, I never felt the 140 in the rear to lack power. I good rider will do 80% of their braking with the front due to weight distribution under braking load.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm over 200 and have my V20 set up with 160 front and 140 rear (TRP HY/RD). I cannot lock the rear wheel (skid the tire). However, I think once the pads seated, the balance is good, feel is excellent. I considered going to 160 on the rear but now think they're fine.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You NEED a second brake, IF the font brake cable, caliper, etc fails, so you still have a working but only 50% effective braking.
Front brake only

Would it make any sense to install a front disc brake only? While I now take more care in trying to lighten up my usage of the rear brake, several years ago I did take a bad fall on my DF when descending because I locked up the rear wheel. If the front brake is enough to stop, is it really necessary to have a rear brake at all?

Chris
On the Cruzbike, with its much lower rider centre of gravity, the front brake and rear brake is a lot more effective compared to a DF, with a DF Front only being 47% of a Vendetta, and its rear being 71% of a Vendetta.

You still NEED two brakes , just in case you get a flat tyre so you can slowly brake on the other wheel, or a brake cable breaks!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Bring on wireless braking.....

This would so cool for the coolest simplified looking build but damn I'd never feel comfortable. We have fly by wire throttles in the motorcycle world but no one dares mess with the brakes. One of the worst feelings in the world is going for your brakes at 180mph and getting absolutely nothing when you squeeze the lever. I takes a few days to shake that mistrust if ever at all .

JO_CONNOR

I'm over 200 and have my V20 set up with 160 front and 140 rear (TRP HY/RD). I cannot lock the rear wheel (skid the tire). However, I think once the pads seated, the balance is good, feel is excellent. I considered going to 160 on the rear but now think they're fine.
Trap
I traded up to a V20 last July. I am now planning a winter upgrade by changing to disc brakes, TRP HY/RDs. The problem is I have been rolling on ZIPP 404s, with ultegra 2x11 speed. plus Rotor Q-rings, and I want to keep that by rebuilding the ZIPPs to disc brakes. My LBO wrench is not sure how to get that all to fit together. What drive train and wheelset do you have to allow the TRP HY/RDs to work on the V20? Are you using 11spd or 10 spd cassette? I am also lusting for the eTAP Red electronic 2x11, wi-fi setup. Not sure I can get all this onto one V20.

BTW - many thanks to you, Ratz, LarryOz, RojoRacing, SuperSlim and all the other posters here that have been so helpful with their detailed posts!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Trap
I traded up to a V20 last July. I am now planning a winter upgrade by changing to disc brakes, TRP HY/RDs. The problem is I have been rolling on ZIPP 404s, with ultegra 2x11 speed. plus Rotor Q-rings, and I want to keep that by rebuilding the ZIPPs to disc brakes. My LBO wrench is not sure how to get that all to fit together. What drive train and wheelset do you have to allow the TRP HY/RDs to work on the V20? Are you using 11spd or 10 spd cassette? I am also lusting for the eTAP Red electronic 2x11, wi-fi setup. Not sure I can get all this onto one V20.
I'm running Hope hubs and SRAM 11sp (11-34?) cassette. The TRP HY/RDs just bolted on, no problem...did it myself. Putting a 160 on the rear will result in some interference...but a little judicious filing would solve that issue, I believe. Now that I've been riding mine for a while (my original post was from October), the brake pads are 'broken in' and now feel very solid.

===Marc

This is my experience putting TRP Hy/Rd disc brakes (disk brakes) on a V20. I'm sure this info has been covered on this forum in various places, but since I had to stop and order more parts every step of the way, I'll summarize my experience in case it helps someone else do it more efficiently.

I made a video (which really should of had a 2nd take) to help here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrb9gesubph2yc7/TRP_Hy_Rd_Parts.mp4?dl=0

Once you have the right parts, installation and adjustment is easy as shown by TRP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8T6cON6y_Y&t=108s

1) first thing you need know is what rotors your wheels take. Most take 6-bolt rotors, but mine took centerlock rotors so I had to order them and then order lockrings. The centerlock rotors I'm using were made by TRP and the lockrings are Shimano SM-HB20.

2) next thing you need to know is adapters. The V20 frame has International Standard (IS) mounts and the TRP Hy/Rd calipers are for Post Mount (PM). You'll need an adapter to go between. These adapters for upright bikes have different spacing for front and rear wheels, so the adapters are sold as front and rear adapters. What does that mean for Cruzbike? Well what I learned from multiple orders is you only want REAR adapters for both the drive and non-drive wheels. In my case I put a 140mm rotor on the non-drive wheels so this needed a Rear 140 PM to IS adapter. I put a 160mm rotor on my drive wheel so this needed a Rear 160 PM to IS adapter.

Examples:
Rear 140:
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1231&catid=188
https://www.amazon.com/RavX-Disc-Br...491925727&sr=8-23&keywords=disc+brake+adapter

Rear 160:
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1187&catid=188
https://www.amazon.com/RavX-Disc-Br...25968&sr=8-3&keywords=ravx+disk+brake+adapter

3) you'll need a little longer brake cable for the non-drive wheel. It will need to be at least 2100mm.

4) I think the largest rotor that would fit in the back is 140mm. On the front you could go 160mm or 180mm.

--Doug

P.S. After two shoulder surgeries and 6 months unable to ride off the trainer, my surgeon has finally given me clearance to start riding this weekend. I'm hoping I can still balance it. Does the statement "like riding a bike" apply when you've been off a Cruzbike for a long time? I'll comment on how much I like the disc brakes after they are burnished in.

TRP_HY_RD_DRIVE_small.jpg TRP_HY_RD_NON-DRIVE_small.JPG RavX_Adapter_small.JPG

RavX_Adapter_Label_small.JPG
Weld_filing_small.JPG

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Nice, clear pix. Well done! My TRP HY/RD brake sets each came with both ISO adapters (front and rear), so I didn't have to order any missing parts. I didn't order them that way, just got lucky I think. My hubs were 6-bolt, so no clearance issues...but I didn't know that until now. Somehow I avoided the centerlock hubs...again, just luck.

ccf

Guru
This is my experience putting TRP Hy/Rd disc brakes (disk brakes) on a V20.

Doug, did you run the rear brake cable housing through the frame? Or did you terminate the housing at the frame with ferrules and just run the cable through the frame?

-Cliff

Doug, did you run the rear brake cable housing through the frame? Or did you terminate the housing at the frame with ferrules and just run the cable through the frame?

Unfortunately the cable stops on my V20 broke while I was riding. Fortunately it wasn't at a critical time. So, I ran cable housing all the way, which works fine and makes for easier cable replacement too.

My wife's V20 came with a broken cable stop from the factory. I should have taken cue from that and skipped them on my bike too from the beginning.

Make sure you use compression-less housing.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Unfortunately the cable stops on my V20 broke while I was riding. Fortunately it wasn't at a critical time. So, I ran cable housing all the way, which works fine and makes for easier cable replacement too.

My wife's V20 came with a broken cable stop from the factory. I should have taken cue from that and skipped them on my bike too from the beginning.

Make sure you use compression-less housing.

That's not good; @Robert Holler is going to want to know about that incase it's a QA issue the welds shouldn't be letting go; I don't recall there being anything special about those stops compared to other bikes; the Derailleur ones are much the same and keep on ticking

I run a 180mm on the front with TRP Hy/lex (previously the same with Avid BB7) and it works fine. I like the power better than with a 160. This is a V2.0, not a V20. The back on the V2.0 will only take 140mm.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
There are no brake cable stops on any of the V20 frames. That is a pass through for 5mm brake cable housing. Both of the cable runs on a Cruzbike V20 for brakes are solid housing.

Robert