Assusie on Assusie banter (we are not sure they are speaking english)

jond

Zen MBB Master
It can't be the cold weather, as in Adelaide,"It's Great one day, and Perfect the next!!!!!"

now slim there are a few of us aussies who know the truth . i have sat idly by and let you pronounce how great adelaide south australia is citing it as the "best".

and of course it is great....................

however compared to newcastle nsw where the climate is as you mostly describe. even nicer than the driest state upon the second driest continent on earth. surely you could not disagree oh partisan one.

you must be drinking too much murray water. :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear misguided Jond,
When was the last time Adelaide, had a major earthquake like Newcastle in 1989, OR have a oil tanker washed up at Nobby's Point in 2008, OR have 41" of rain a year compared to 17.3", OR be flooded in 2016!!!
I was surprised to see that the days of clear days was the same at 89/yr.

There is not much Murray River water to drink, as all those HUGE NSW cotton and rice farms suck too much of the water out of the darling/Murray system!

jond

Zen MBB Master
There is not much Murray River water to drink, as all those HUGE NSW cotton and rice farms suck too much of the water out of the darling/Murray system!

slim you cheeky bugger you. :)

rice a risso chesty bonds :)

and i am very sure you appreciate the nsw septic tanks draining into your water supply too. yummy yummy.

how harsh.......... the coal tanker was merely a tourist attraction and proved the versatility of the best beaches in australia.

floods nah just a big washout every now and then. maybe adelaide will eventually take a bath one day not in brown smelly hard water. de-sal anyone . :)

earthquake nah that was merely a tummy rumble an experiment in high density tradesmen and insurance companies.

but seriously slim it is to newcastle the climate award goes. adelaide a hot dry cold dry extreme distant second.

but i loved your cricket ground before it was ..................modernised. lets call it a draw. :)

global warming anyone :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great fun guys - (although I am sure most of us know absolutely "nothing" of what you both are actually bantering about) - and I could see where this could go on .... forever! :)
Sound likes something that should be settled in some kind of competition - maybe on a "Cruzbike"??? ;) Maybe a 100 mile TT??? Winner takes all (the good weather) :eek:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Misguided Jon,
I think all that Iron Ore , and Coked coal dust from the old BHP steel plant, and the NEW Black Coal loading, must have effected your brain!!!!

Has there been any other tremors in Newcastle since 1989, as this has rewritten the Structural Code of Australia for buildings!!!

You have obviously have been born and bled in Newcastle, to have such a ONE eyed view of the town!!!
I on the other hand am NOT biased!!!

I agree that our beautiful Adelaide Cricket ground has been decimated in the interest of Football, to fit more people in!
The new ultra wide curved bridge across the GREAT clean???? free flowing???? River Torrens, and across the road access to the train station, has greatly improved the speed of dispersing 40,000 people in 15 mins via trains and trams, instead of 90 mins via cars and some buses when football was at West Lakes!

We completed the 100 GL/year (50% of Adelaide water requirement) in 2011, but have not used it due to the 150 year level floods in NSW and Queensland in 2012 AND 2013.
Prior to that, the River Murray was a series of salty ponds between the 11 weirs, with all the salt coming from over watered rice and cotton farms in NSW and Vic!!!

With only 17" of rain there are many good days or riding, without having to use pontoons to create a sea bike, for all the floods!

jond

Zen MBB Master
burst out laughing when i read slim's latest . just in case everyone i have met the big hearted kind slim in person and he is a larrikin mate justly proud of his beautiful city. whenever i have visited adelaide i have greatly enjoyed my time. south australia is cycling central for australia really. it is a great part of australia.

slim true i was not born and bred in newcastle. i am actually from the old blighty arriving here in 1968 strapped to the side of the fairstar. i am a sydney boy. now i am glad i am out of sydney despite it's charms.

i came here to newcastle after the steel making ceased. the place became clean. apart from the coal dust from the port.

it has remained a secret mostly. but now it is being slowly discovered and any house with a view of water lake or sea has hit 750k plus. the place has developed and now has 3 precincts for dining for example.

it still is the busiest port in australia with coal exporting the main fare.

but with a population base of around only 70,000 i count myself lucky to be here.

i am sure the banter might continue with merriment aplenty. we are both aussies living in the lucky country of 22 million people on a land mass not much smaller than america . what a lifestyle.

4 weeks annual leave/ universal healthcare /11 public holidays/ low murder rate /arguments sorted with fists / real poisonous snakes/ real poisonous spiders /red backs on the dunny seat. and space. who could ask for more.

slim i will leave you with this thought .

if it was good enough for the don to come to nsw..............

and yes zzorse i love football round ball and oval ................... all except that aerial ping pong aussie rules girls game in tight pants played by metrosexuals pretending to be men all running around saying "kick it to me kick it to me " stone the crows there are about a 150 guys on the field all at the same time. watched a few games live but .......apart from the SCG it left me cold. and yes they are all as dumb as rugby league thugs. and yeah i know about the crowd numbers. i rest my case.

now slim just take a look at the profile. last year 22k almost. year round riding in shorts and a tshirt. and with respect you cannot do that in adelaide without cooking or freezing your nuts off. mate your weather has more in common with cessnock than newie but you can drink the water in cessnock without getting kidney stones.

bottled water all round :)

but you do have that delicious coopers pale ale..........

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Small Town Jond,
It is GREAT stirring you, as only Aussies can!!!

Sir Donald Bradman, the worlds best cricketer, was born near Bowal, NSW, but lived most of his married life in Kensington Park, ADELAIDE, Sth. Aust., due to the GREAT weather!!!

You obviously have not seen the Crows (Adelaide) play AFL, with free flowing passes that get the ball from one end of the field to the other in 15 seconds!!!

I too have cycled 2 Km last year long with riding shorts and t shirt, due to the closeness of Adelaide to the sea, and its stabilizing effect!

In Adelaide, we have the best (Cooper Pale Ale), and worst (West End Draught) beers in Australia, OR maybe the World!!!

I do agree with you on this comment!

"We are both aussies living in the lucky country of 22 million people on a land mass not much smaller than america . what a lifestyle.

4 weeks annual leave/ universal healthcare /11 public holidays/ low murder rate /arguments sorted with fists / real poisonous snakes/ real poisonous spiders /red backs on the dunny seat. and space. who could ask for more.""

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
"We are both aussies living in the lucky country of 22 million people on a land mass not much smaller than america . what a lifestyle.
4 weeks annual leave/ universal healthcare /11 public holidays/ low murder rate /arguments sorted with fists / real poisonous snakes/ real poisonous spiders /red backs on the dunny seat. and space. who could ask for more.""
...... Maybe a few UMC AUltra-cycling events each year to match your 4 weeks annual leave - then it would be pure paradise. :):p:D

p.s. Jon, Slim... I have recently come to learn that "all" UMCA events are "private" events that are organized by private individuals or clubs and then "sanctioned" by UMCA, therefore there is nothing stopping either of you from creating and holding events there. "If you hold it, they will come".. or something like that. :)

Hey Jond
I am going to have to weigh in with Slim here and back Adelaide for the top spot. Although I did visit Newy and it did remind me of Adelaide somewhat only not quite as good.

jond

Zen MBB Master
barry barry barry parochial barry from hectorville south australia ......... what can i say. you must have visited newcastle in england.

at least most south australians tend to vote labour in the city of churches.

my apologies to the don. of course he was bred in bowral and his museum i have visited............. doh. must have been that south aussie septic water i almost drank .

slim i said stone the crows..... not watch them play aerial ping pong with socks stuffed down their 1970 tight shorts . go the roos i mean swannies.

well then nsw v south aussie in an ultra. sounds interesting.

would prefer australia v america. and since we are upside down we get a half hour head start.

let us be thankful then that we do not live in sydney or melbourne.

tee hee.

i do watch the weather every night and see adelaide suffer.

i guess that is why the majority of australia's population cling to the eastern seaboard.

let it be known slim you have purloined queensland's favourite phrase. beaut one day perfect the next.....

and you cant argue with the people's feet on the ground. you know it makes sense.

so coopers pale ale to all or a nice hunter valley shiraz none of that south australian over-rated soup. lets ride.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
barry barry barry parochial barry from hectorville south australia ......... what can i say. you must have visited newcastle in england.

at least most south australians tend to vote labour in the city of churches.

my apologies to the don. of course he was bred in bowral and his museum i have visited............. doh. must have been that south aussie septic water i almost drank .
NO, Too much of that FLOODED hunter Valley wines!!!

slim i said stone the crows..... not watch them play aerial ping pong with socks stuffed down their 1970 tight shorts . go the roos i mean swannies.
We do NOT need socks in our shorts, as South Aussies are REAL men!!!!!

well then nsw v south aussie in an ultra. sounds interesting.
Barry I hope you are a RACER, as I am an old Tourer, with an Aero body!!!

would prefer australia v america. and since we are upside down we get a half hour head start.

let us be thankful then that we do not live in sydney or melbourne.
Totally agree for a change!!!

tee hee.

i do watch the weather every night and see Adelaide suffer.
We had a RARE weather event on Sunday, when our World Famous Clipsal 500, V8 car race was stopped by rain, as the V8's could not corner at 60 kph, even when on wet tyres!!!!

i guess that is why the majority of Australia's population cling to the eastern seaboard.
That's ONLY because Sydney Harbour is such a VAST good harbour, AND had good high quality water!

let it be known slim you have purloined Queensland's favourite phrase. beaut one day perfect the next.....
I was wondering when an Aussy, would dob me in for stealing Queensland's advertising slogan of the 80's
I really liked that slogan!!! I knew that 95% of the Forum members would not know!!!

and you cant argue with the people's feet on the ground. you know it makes sense.
NOT many people have voted on Newcastle, compared to 1.3M in Adelaide!!!!!

so Coopers pale ale to all or a nice( Hunter FLOODED Valley NO ),YES to Barrossa Valley, Clare, McClaren Vale, Langhorn Creek, shall I KEEP on going to our world famous Sth. Aust. wine zones!!! shiraz none of that south australian over-rated soup. lets ride.

Super Slim

jond

Zen MBB Master
Nope too easy; not going there;

ratz you kickin the can and stirring the pot or what :) we really are all winners being here in the first place..........adelaide included. but i will bite.

as i said before adelaide is a beautiful great city but it is not the "best" despite being the debatable cycling capital of australia. it could not be the overall best to any unbiased free thinker like yourself and I.

melbourne always comes out as the most liveable city in australia. sydney as the most beautiful..... cant beat that now very clean harbour. they even get whales visiting the harbour now.

and newcastle is a newly polished jewel undiscovered by the masses thanks to it's admittedly dirty steel making past. long may she stay that way.

adelaide is seen as the city of churches where they pray for clean water and a decent football team.

our famous aussie singer/ song writer paul kelly sings about adelaide........... that nothing ever happens except the same as last year now where do you go on a saturday night and "all the kings men and horses would not drag me back again to adelaide" just paul's opinion of course.

where once stood a cricket ground to rival the sydney cricket ground is now a footie oval garish to the extreme. an abomination of a mistake pandering to money.

too easy hey ratz hmmm okay............ well let me ask you as a free thinker and with the wonders of internet research where would you live in australia if you had to make a choice ????? adelaide or newcastle????

so live in a city of 1.3 million thirsty people who cannot get there soap to lather in the brown hard smelly water which is in short supply thus reduced and resigned to drinking de-sal . where you drive 15klm inland and you are in the desert. where they have a ferry that does not run. where they play a victorian silly game.

or in a working class provincial town of around 70,000 souls just 2 hours drive from australia's major city of sydney .
with a clean exported plentiful supply of soft soap lathering crystal clear water with a traffic peak hour of less than that. great beaches , full employment , even climate without the extremes of adelaide , friendly egalitarian people. a developed food wine entertainment scene. a mtb park state nature reserve within 5klm of city centre fronted by 3 surf beaches and backed by my beloved training track. glenrock reserve is a gem. there is sound reason why nsw is the most populace state. not just because of the more amenable climate. but simply because it really is the best place to live. i rest my case on the numbers. and the facts. and my clearly objective benign scientific reasonable decision to live in beaut newie.

you are what you eat drink breathe and think. novacastrians go go go.... now that we have got rid of our black lung coal dusted cough cough coughs :) . you can now walk around at night without coming home dirty :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
too easy hey ratz hmmm okay
I was actually chuckling thinking back to traveling Europe disguised as a Canadian (hey it was the late 80s) and watching the Aussie men hunt american woman for sport; while we all tried to hide from the Assusie women of the day. But I can't really post that now because it's a tad sexist for even non PC personality :eek:. But I did learn to drink beer like an Aussie and for that I will forever be thankful. Although somewhere I also learned to drink Scotch like a Scottsman; but that would be a different thread.

I'm too old to be allowed to immigrate to your fair country in-spite of the fact that I'd be bringing my business with me and 20+ jobs. Otherwise we'd already live by you..... So perhaps I'm just bitter....

jond

Zen MBB Master
while we all tried to hide from the Assusie women of the day. But I can't really post that now because it's a tad sexist for even non PC personality :eek:

political correctness has stifled debate long enough. you watch out for our sheilahs mate they will break your back in a few ways. sexism or no i am sending our elle macpherson at over 51 years of age to do it for you. she is a good sheilah and should have been a chiropractor.

it is a broad church we belong . " disguised as a canadian" that is so funny to an aussie. not sure how are canadian friends will feel........... i have guessed wrong a few times i admit. apologies.

aussie men hunting american women..... i can imagine the sparkling conversation over the gulf.

aust male "owzitgoindidjahavagoodweekend"

american female "sorry there" "um hi there"

aust. " i said owyergoin mate how waz the weekend"

american "i am not your mate and it is a monday" and thinking who is this person from south africa or ireland??????????????

aust thinking bloody yanks dont listen "nah mate youve got the wrong end of the stick but we could be mates if you can tell where i come from mate." thinking again she'll be right fair suck of the sav if i havent given her a clue enough. struth mate septics.

american with confused bored disdain "south africa???? right no ireland right"

australian "crappo sheeat next"

truth be known the ocker is long gone as a stereotype and our cultural cringe has somewhat abated. never the less there is still that unique knockabout almost egalitarian character that values the garbo as much as the doc. and we can discuss anything anytime anywhere. personal problems just tell a mate.

sadly we are more litigious and fatter than americans and are starting to take ourselves a little too seriously............ all that fatness in spite our great export the cruzbike. :)

we are very nearly the 51st state of the u.s of a.

should of stuck to being limey bastards maybe :)

great having this cultural exchange.