better climber?

Bentas

Ha! I turn sixty next month , it would be just my luck to find a group of DF riders my age and they are all Larry Oz's
I would be leaving the camera off in that case , but I am really excited about the potential of my latest build and would like to splash out on a decent camera , in the future .
Only couple more months of cold weather here in Tasmania ,looking forward to dialling in the bike and the body this summer.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Ha! I turn sixty next month , it would be just my luck to find a group of DF riders my age and they are all Larry Oz's
I would be leaving the camera off in that case , but I am really excited about the potential of my latest build and would like to splash out on a decent camera , in the future .
Only couple more months of cold weather here in Tasmania ,looking forward to dialling in the bike and the body this summer.
Age is just a number! :D If you are fit, you can still blow away a few younger guys! Go get 'em!!;)

Bentas

You have a very nice lightweight DIY Carbon MBB! Now all you need is a nice Eken H9R or any other Gopro-like camera mounted on your helmet, then you can catch and share some action from your rides. Just look for a few DFs and see if you can keep up and overtake them on a climb.

Hi Ak-tux,
Is the camera you use the Eken H9R ?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Hi Ak-tux,
Is the camera you use the Eken H9R ?
I use Eken H9. I wanted an H9R (R stands for remote) but I made mistake during my order. But they are the same apart from the included wrist remote control(and firmware). It's great value for hobby/armature video capture and way cheaper than a Gopro. I got it from ebay for about $60. (Off-course for professional work Gopro would be better.)

Yes it works well especially at 60fps Full HD. However it's in a cheap plastic casing so one has to handle it with care.

Tip: For vibration free video "3rd person"-like view, mount it on the side of your helmet. Mounting directly on the bike may not be smooth on rough road surfaces because it does not have image stabilisation:

Here are a couple of my videos using Eken H9:

Last edited:

Bentas

The footage looks stable and sharp , looking at the angle of your headrest does this cause your head to tilt forward?
The reason I ask is, if my head is tilted to far back I end up looking through the reading part of my progressive lenses, which can blur vision, still haven't found an ideal solution for this.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The footage looks stable and sharp , looking at the angle of your headrest does this cause your head to tilt forward?
The reason I ask is, if my head is tilted to far back I end up looking through the reading part of my progressive lenses, which can blur vision, still haven't found an ideal solution for this.

In know this is slightly out of topic, but (in my opinion) your head should be in it's most natural forward facing position (maybe even slightly downward). It should not be facing the sky because it will force you to look through the reading portion of your glasses.

My headrest just (barely) touches the back of my neck just below where the helmet adjustment screw is. Remember it's DIY, so I keep tweaking it. But my goal is to have it barely touching the back of my neck when Iam relaxed and looking at the road a few meters ahead of the bike. You just have to keep tweaking it until you find the sweet spot. Ideally, it should barley touch otherwise you will constantly feel the road vibrations.

Bentas

After seeing the climbing prowess of Marco and friends , I decided to try and adjust my MBB to geometry closer to theirs. I moved the seat forward, raised the seat angle, added a head stem extension which enabled me to move the bars forward and lower the height of BB , now seat and BB are almost level, this is a challenge as I’m short 5’5”, gearing is sorted, 1x 44t up front and 11x50t cassette, just have to practice more in the hills now to recondition the engine.DFBFA125-1193-45C9-99F4-8E11142EE941.jpeg