BHPC races

McWheels

Off the long run
Hi all,

While not CB specific, this is the latest incarnation of the British Human Power Club race results. I haven't seen them presented like this before and rather like it. http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events17/01hillingdon/index.html

Steve Slade is the closest we have to Rojo, but when he gets out it's rather like chancing upon a Formula 1 car and watching Gandalf himself climb out of the cockpit. There really is something to be said for fully faired. Interestingly, his Beano is FWD MBB, admittedly with rather restricted steering, plus launch/recovery undercarriage.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Results have a strava flyby style map which is pretty cool. Not a single CruzBike in all those results. Are CruzBikes super rare in the UK?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My favorite chart in those results is the line graph showing position progression. I like to see someone climb through the ranks as the race goes on.

McWheels

Off the long run
So far as I can work out, US manufacturers are rare. I've not seen Bachetta previously to that race and when we had it, the TerraTrike Cruiser was also the only known example to have competed.
I think I'm the only V2k in the UK, but certainly I know of a few Silvios and Vs cutting around, just not at these races.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I might go to the next one. The track is five minutes ride away. If I do it it will be the nearest thing to Sebring that I will ever do. Redbridge track is built on the side of a hill, so I can outclimb the faired people. I think.

LMT

I might go over either on Sunday or Monday morning to have a look, it's a little over 10 miles from where I am. I'll treat it as a training ride and see how I get on if I do go over there. I've got a power meter so it'll be interesting to get some data on a closed circuit and how I'd fair if I was to race.

Unless it was a just a meet I don't know why you'd group a two wheeled fully faired bent in with some stock trikes - but anyways. Good to see that Mike Burrows is still about and racing too although he was a DNF.

McWheels

Off the long run
It's all done on different categories, 2-wheeler fully faired, part faired (behind the rider only), unfaired; multitrack faired, unfaired etc. The races are just groupings by approximate speed. From time to time we get some upwrongs, no special category for them, and they get routinely destroyed.

What would it be to have a fully faired Vendetta, a V^2 (Velomobile-Vendetta)?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If I do it I will have to take the lights off. The front light is attached to the B bracket, and they think that is dangerous if you crash into someone. They require a bash ring so I got one, but the chainring bolts are not long enough to hold it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I raced at Hog Hill. I enjoyed it. Friendly people. The multifarious variety of HPV types were there. They do four races, but I only had time to do the first one. I think I finished somewhere in the middle of the field, but I wasn't paying enough attention to find out. I just wanted to do it. Everybody's time and distance is recorded but they haven't put them on the BHCP website yet. I looked there for pictures but that facility does not seem to be working, so the Plagerists are going to say I dreamed the whole thing. There was a guy who said he liked the idea of a Vendetta, but he was worried about ordering something from across the water. I told him what nice, honest, competent, reliable people the Cruzbike team are.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Results have a strava flyby style map which is pretty cool. Not a single CruzBike in all those results. Are CruzBikes super rare in the UK?
Yep... too many crazy drivers going twice as fast as the yanks on roads that are half as small. So why would you want something that cycles like a bullet?

Not only that but there seems to be a stigma attached to recumbents being for overweight people with back issues. The word needs to get out there that there is a thoroughbred race bike out there called a Vendetta. Perhaps a distributor that can reduce the shipping tax. I do know that Speedx gets around the issue by assembling parts in Germany for Europe so as to reduce the tax situation.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The results are on the website. I am Simon Cramp, by the way. Good name for a cyclist. I went quicker than I usually do, although it did not feel any faster. Something about the psychology of being in an actual race. Well, I did it, and at least I was not the slowest.

DavidCH said:
too many crazy drivers going twice as fastas the yanks

We are all barmy.

McWheels

Off the long run
Great result! I found a little more pace than the usual Silly Commuter Racing when I had a go last too.