Bicycle stand.

Barney

Newbie here. Is there a bike stand that works with a QX100? I would like to get it off the ground to do simple maintenance, cleaning, lube the chain etc. I have a simple one for my road bike but it won't work with the QX.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I use a Parktool PCS10, usually clamp it on the seat back post:

tmp_6252-IMG_20170515_103523738~011129114628.jpg

Edit: I should have mentioned that it is clamped this way when I am working on the boom (I work on my boom alot with my steering moded X100 and soon to be moded Q):

tmp_3965-IMG_20170516_070453224~0158858857.jpg

Last edited:

Barney

Thanks for replying, you actually answered two things, I was wondering where to clamp it, thanks for the picture.

Barney

The QX100 has 26" wheels, is there enough adjustment to have the bike clear the ground and how do you secure the heavy front end that just wants to flop one side or the other.

Barney

My last comment was for the PCS9. Trying to save a couple bucks vs the 10. I'm also having a rough time getting used to riding it, already fell a few times. I guess I should post that in a different forum or thread.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My last comment was for the PCS9. Trying to save a couple bucks vs the 10

With the pcs 9. Clamp the boom. Leave rear wheel on ground. If you need it higher put an orange five gallon bucket (aka orange Home Depot style) open side up to hold the wheel. If you need to work level put bucket under each wheel

IMG_6299.JPG

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
The QX100 has 26" wheels, is there enough adjustment to have the bike clear the ground and how do you secure the heavy front end that just wants to flop one side or the other.
My last comment was for the PCS9.
Yes, there's plenty of adjustment. I have the arm-to-floor distance set at around 42". My Silvio S30 with 700C wheels clears the ground with several inches to spare. The clamp can be rotated to whatever angle you need, and then tightened at that angle (separately from tightening the clamp around the tube on your bike), so it won't flop around.

IMG_1268_resize.jpg
I'm also having a rough time getting used to riding it, already fell a few times.
Have you been working through the learning-to-ride checklist? What part is giving you trouble? I had to slam my feet down (more than) a few times, but never actually fell.

Barney

Ok, thanks for the photo!

I'm falling to the right doing circles. I have been doing exactly like they say on the check list. I am going to just ride it until I get more comfortable before I start doing circles. I have a very large parking lot to practice on. I'm 71 YO so the adaptive brain takes a bit longer I guess. I am determined so it's just a matter of time.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I'm falling to the right doing circles.

OK, here's a little more detail from Ratz's original checklist, Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time. Maybe this will help:

6) Start doing shallow turns; when you turn "DROP" your outside shoulder; it should feel like a reverse shrug; just relax you shoulder muscle so the shoulder drops. Some riders simply "lean out." This is the same thing you do on racing motorcycles and snowmobiles you have to lean OUT ever so slightly on the turn; this is the opposite of what you do on a road bike. This is the #1 thing DF riders do wrong; they want to lean in to the turn; and coast; at which point they start to fall into the ground. On a Cruzbike you can lean out and pedal through the turn.

7) After you can do the shoulder drop; do some pedaling figure-8's. Start big and work smaller. Go Both directions, one side will be way easier that the other, that is you dominate side. Make note if it's easier to go left or right. Pedal through the turns if you are feel tipping. Remember this might be the the first bike you've had that you can pedal through any turn. You may have to slam a foot down on your weak direction the first few times.

8) When changing directions, is easier if your foot to the inside of the turn is at the top of the pedal stroke. Example: If turning left and coasting; position the left foot at the top in preparation for turning right or resuming straight riding.

9) Now consider your #7 results. If you turn left and it feels like you will fall into the ground then your right foot is dominate; if you feel like when you turn right you will fall into the ground then you left foot is dominate. If you feel like you are going to fall doing both you are a freak and need to continue practicing #7.

I belong to the last year of the Boom.

Barney

You are correct, I'm sure I lean in unconsciously therefore a trip to the ground. I have to give my elbow a couple days rest after my last episode but I'll pay more attention in the turns in the future.

SamP

Guru
You might want to get some knee and elbow pads like skate and skateboarders use, until you fall over less.