Bike Sebring 2018

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
It's been a long cold winter! Almost all of my riding has been in the garage. But Maria and I will be packing up the bikes and heading to Sebring, FL in 2.5 weeks. Fast time or slow time, it's always a great time for a Cruzbike get-together at a recumbent-friendly race in sunny Florida. We hope to see you there. -Jim

Bike Sebring 2017
upload_2018-1-23_17-29-40.png

Can somebody lay out the logistics for the 12-hour event?

1) on the long course, does the event provide water & supplies?
2) on the 11 mile loop, do you park your car to resupply?
3) do you pass by the same check point on the short course?
4) how much traffic is on these roads? Is a flag needed.
5) excess clothes drop?

I know how to set up for the Mid-Atlantic, but can use some help understanding Sebring.

Last edited:

Tigerpaw

1. There is water and bananas, bathrooms, etc at the turnaround at Frostproof on the out and back ‘century’. Plus, a stop with the same and a portojohn in between.
2. The 11 mike loop is just like the Mid-Atlantic, you come through the pit area (electronic scoring) each lap.
3. About 6pm or so, you get directed on the track and make as many laps until 7pm. Note: you will not pass your ‘pit area’ unless someone moves your supplies while your are on the last 11 mile loop.
4. Traffic is very similar to the Mid-Atlantic. Most just run front and rear lights.
5. Depends on weather. 2015-2017 the start was chilly, but not too cold.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
She’s looking sharp and wants to go to Florida. I’m finding it harder and harder to keep telling her no...but the old man’s just not in that kind of shape. What’s a guy to do?
I am dedicated to coming as well and plan on riding the Century for the first time.
You should come Doug - it is a nice course and setup and lots of Cruzbikers to rub elbows with. I have some videos I can send you links to that will show you what to you will see at the "pit area" for the day-time loop. Lots of extra people around to help you if you need it as well.

You should come Doug - it is a nice course and setup and lots of Cruzbikers to rub elbows with. I have some videos I can send you links to that will show you what to you will see at the "pit area" for the day-time loop. Lots of extra people around to help you if you need it as well.
Thanks Larry, I'd like to see those videos. I was able to find a couple threads from 2017 that helped fill in the details, including your century video. I'm going to plan to come down for the 12-hour, if the weather forecast is dry. I started training for this before Xmas then got sick...oh well, no expectations.

https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/...ring-and-back-again-part-1.11555/#post-132061
https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/a-sebring-beginner.11568/

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks Larry, I'd like to see those videos. I was able to find a couple threads from 2017 that helped fill in the details, including your century video.
Doug,
Here is what I could find on my Youtube channel for Sebring that I thought would be helpful to you:
2017 Century:
(gives you a good idea of what the first 100 miles will be like)
The 11 mile loop:
(this is pretty good showing the pit area available - and what you will spend the most of you time doing in the 12-hour)
The 3.7 mile Sebring track loop:
(you will ride the first 3 lap of the 100 on this and then probably the last 30 minutes of the 12-hour.)
Good luck and looking forward to seeing you there
Larry

Sorry Larry, I know you did a lot of work on those video clips for me. And they do tell the story I needed to see. But I’m out of Sebring. I had the bike all ready to go and was looking forward to it, but just can’t get the days off to drive there. Too many deadlines.

There’s a 400km brevet in Lumberton, NC the week after. Not the same I know, but much closer to home. I think I’ll give that a go.

Good luck to all that make it to Sebring.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Doug,
Here is what I could find on my Youtube channel for Sebring that I thought would be helpful to you:
2017 Century:
(gives you a good idea of what the first 100 miles will be like)
The 11 mile loop:
(this is pretty good showing the pit area available - and what you will spend the most of you time doing in the 12-hour)
The 3.7 mile Sebring track loop:
(you will ride the first 3 lap of the 100 on this and then probably the last 30 minutes of the 12-hour.)
Good luck and looking forward to seeing you there
Larry
That was an incredible experience. Thanks for posting

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Cruzbike racers took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the 100 mile race. An EARLY Cruzbike breakaway held up. Been doing this event for 8 years and have never seen an early breakaway last very long. Kyle nipped Larry in a photo finish, followed a few seconds later by Jesse. I was way way back in the field compiling my list of excuses.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cruzbike racers took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the 100 mile race. An EARLY Cruzbike breakaway held up. Been doing this event for 8 years and have never seen an early breakaway last very long. Kyle nipped Larry in a photo finish, followed a few seconds later by Jesse. I was way way back in the field compiling my list of excuses.

Jim “ I was too busy directing the success” “I got locked out of the breakaway “
“ I ran the sacrifice play. “

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Results:
View attachment 6255

Here is a link showing the final 2 seconds of the Century. Do not blink when you are watching it!
ANOTHER Brilliant set of results!!!
See what can happen with a group of FAST recumbent bikes AND riders, riding as a team!
Was Jim at the front of the DF riders, 29 minutes behind the Three Amigos?

The finish was tight!!!
Is it the front axle or the front of the bike over the line?