Bike Sebring 2018

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That's interesting about the 200w sprint loss with the FWD. I suspect you'll be able to gain most of that back. For me, I can compare only to my upright (S-Works Tarmac). I am usually about 100w less on the Vendetta than the Tarmac, but wheel spin is the limiter I think.
You younger/stronger studs can spin out your wheels! I do not think I will ever have that raw power. Wait, I did spin my wheel once if I can remember. It was a couple years ago, climbing a 15% grade, oh yeah and it was raining. Does that count??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Barefoot Biker

Haha - if we were all built the same it would be boring. Stronger for 5 seconds is completely different than stronger for one hour. I'm looking forward to your one hour run!

telephd

Guru
The thing about that photo is a slight illusion created by the head-on perspective. The riders closest to the camera seem larger in relation to the riders further back and this makes the last rider (DF) look like he's lower to the ground than he might be in actuality, due to his distance and apparent relative size. A side pic would reveal more accurate frontal area differences, and it might be more than what is appears for the DF in spite of his lowered TT position.

Are we referring to the same photo Apollo?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Finally here is my complete 4-hour video of the entire race. Play it in front of your trainer and ride Sebring with us!
Just finishing up my written report. Hope to be done today.
Enjoy:

11:50 now leading except one velo

Larry just in case you missed the memo, that means you're in second, you can just say you're in second :p

Apollo

Are we referring to the same photo Apollo?
I was replying to Ed's post commenting on the photo originally posted by Jim on the second page (post#34). My speculation is that the head-on perspective of the photo grants the appearance that Jean-Luc Perez' TT bike at the back is lower and has a smaller frontal area than usual for an upright TT rider. I posit that this is mostly an illusion caused by distance to the photographer relative to Team Cruzbike. I could definitely be wrong about my theory. In the next few days, I'll be examining Larry's Sebring video in detail as I do every year, and see if I can determine this with some conclusiveness. Thank you Larry for posting your video, much appreciated. :)

Great posts and excellent thread.

jond

Zen MBB Master
So question for Kyle @Barefoot Biker : the flashing rear radar system you are using... why did you decide to ride with it? Does it tell you how fast another rider is coming up on you?

David I use radar too and would now not ride without it. Safety measures what price.

It’s weakness is 7 hr battery life though it can be extended with an add on bank. You do get a visual cue as to relative speed red being a high speed pass but no actual speed representation. Plenty reviews on line.

When I read and see these mouth watering inspiring ride race reports I dream of getting a passport...............

Racing with friends.......maybe one day sooner than later .When I’m retired just before the nursing home.lol

Kenneth Jessett

I just read this for the Sebring results:

Dave Lewis, riding an HPV, finished with 647.2 miles.

Good Grief!!!!

If I had one of these I could ride LeJog in less than two days. :rolleyes:

jond

Zen MBB Master
You know you'll always have a place to stay and a car to drive if you get here! Just give me the date and time and I will be there at the airport! :):):):):):):):)

Larry thanks for posting your epic ride videos. I confess to watching them avidly. Incredible really.

Mate I won’t need a car to drive I’ll be riding with you on mint vintage vendettas.

Mate maybe it might just happen. I plan on retiring in four short years. To ride a Sebring type event with yourself and the tribe would be a great dream come true. Such truly wonderful camaraderie. Couple hurdles soothing tones to my wife. Might just work

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry thanks for posting your epic ride videos. I confess to watching them avidly. Incredible really.

Mate I won’t need a car to drive I’ll be riding with you on mint vintage vendettas.

Mate maybe it might just happen. I plan on retiring in four short years. To ride a Sebring type event with yourself and the tribe would be a great dream come true. Such truly wonderful camaraderie. Couple hurdles soothing tones to my wife. Might just work
Jond Is the retirement age in NSW, 70 years old?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
sebring2018-sprint-jpg.6305

Interesting profile pic. Three blazingly fast riders, each with a slightly different frontal exposure. Unless there is an optical illusion, it looks like 1st Larry's body position is the most horizontal and I assume most aero, 2nd Jesse's position looks to be the most vertical with the most frontal area exposed (less aero?) and 3rd Barefoot's looks intermediate between the two. If you could share - what seats and approximate angles do each of you ride?

And brilliant showing by all the Cruzbike racers!!
This side view shows Larry's max knee angle at 90 degrees, Jesse 100 degrees, and Kyle 110 degrees, so I think Kyle and Jesse, need shorter cranks or move the BB further away, if you knees don't complain, as I think that any degree past 90 is wasted energy, as the extended knee needs to pull the bent knee back to below 90.

Jesse Groves

This side view shows Larry's max knee angle at 90 degrees, Jesse 100 degrees, and Kyle 110 degrees, so I think Kyle and Jesse, need shorter cranks or move the BB further away, if you knees don't complain, as I think that any degree past 90 is wasted energy, as the extended knee needs to pull the bent knee back to below 90.

I'm a bit confused; in the photo it appears that Larry has the least amount of bend to his knee which should mean that his max degree is a higher number rather than lower...but you seem to be saying the opposite. 100 degree angle is more open than 90 degrees, right?

I have the BB so far in because I had problems keeping traction with it farther out. With the BB farther out, it allows me to really pull on the upstroke, which was causing my power to spike real high in one spot of my pedal stroke which caused wheel slip. With the BB in closer, I really have no power on the upstroke pull and have to spin faster, but at least no wheel slip.

CruzLike

Guru
I'm a bit confused; in the photo it appears....

I agree with your confusion Jesse. I have always thought of the angle that was behind the knee when the ankle was closest to your hip. Preferred is not less than 90. The way @super slim defines it, is the inverse. He is starting with the lower leg at the bottom of the stroke as 0 degrees and then measures the difference when lower leg is at the top of the stroke. That might be described as the angle in front of the knee.
Hope that helps.

NeaL

Guru
Since no one can get their calf and thigh to fold into each other to achieve zero degrees, it makes more sense to me to use the straight leg as reference for zero.

Barefoot Biker

Was Dave's 'bike' a trike, do you know the make?

https://www.intercitybike.nl/en/ <-- yes, it's a trike, specifically DF velomobile with canopy and wheel pants - it's shockingly close to the velomobile 24hr record in a consumer available design ... maybe the carbon vendetta race case on the back is the first step in an evolution of aerodynamics to pass that record? :)

re: knee angle - my cranks are significantly longer than larry's so, it makes sense that the angles are different. i'm not sure the picture shows everyone at the same point in the pedal stroke, but regardless, my knee bends a lot. this is to accommodate the unorthodox style i began developing decades earlier ...
... or it could be in error, not sure! i have tweaked the distance a few times mainly because the slider was slipping apart when i went hard early on. i finally got it tightened down properly and it's just where it felt most comfortable, matched closely with my other bike.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Jond Is the retirement age in NSW, 70 years old?

Slim we new south Welshmen the most populace state have actual employment jobs Australia’s economic centre no nick Xenophon performing super funds electricity turned on stolen water and clean water and amenable climatic conditions here .
Can’t argue the numbers even from 2008.
So what if you are a decade out like all South Australia . It is still a beaut hot dry dark thirsty dirty dusty place to be.

Mate seriously now I’m hoping to retire at sixty. But it’s a moveable feast. Depends on stock market and my missus. Oh yeah and having good health. ....god willing.