Boom ... was that an S30 that just passed you?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I've no doubt that the new S30 is a good bike, and it looks to be more of a bike that can be thrown around it a bit more through the corners due to it's slightly shorter wheelbase which would make it easier to filter in traffic. But is it not eating into the realm of where the V20 sits in terms of performance?

This is true. Nimble without being "darty" at all. It very much handles like the suspended S30, but now with a more positive performance front end. Like was said - everything is a trade off, so there are gains in that arena but losses in the front comfort for some surfaces. If you have a suspended S30 it is still a sweet ride. If someone wants one still please contact me.

I do not see this eating into the realm of the V20 for performance. The S30 is not in that same league for flat out performance and aerodynamics. Someone out there might be able to keep up with a V20 for a while but they will be working much harder than the V20 rider provided they are of similar fitness, etc.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Isn't technology fantastic. Bikes are getting lighter and faster and even the engines are getting lighter and stronger. So an improvisation in the Silvio ... Whatever next ????

hoyden

Seems most everyone is happy and glad for the new non-shock Silvio. As a newly minted Silvio owner, less than a month, I wonder how the new fork will affect support and service for the old front end. I read what can't happen; upgrading an old Silvio fork for the new.

What is the reliability record for the front shock? Should I be concerned?

mzweili

Guru
Frankly speaking, I'm a little bit disappointed that there seems to be no possibility to retrofit the Silvio 2.x and S30.
As a mechanical engineer, I would appreciate to get some sound explanation why it can't be done. (Graphics i.e.)
Maybe it would simply require a different fork to do the job.(See the Silvetta)
I have nothing against the front suspension on my Silvio 2.1, but I'm unhappy with the overly heavy front end.

Jeremy S

Dude
Maybe it would simply require a different fork to do the job.
If the steerer tube is long enough on the new fork (I doubt it is) and you put some kind of spacer where the shock used to be, you ought to be able to swap in the new front end and keep the steering geometry intact. Or if you are willing to change the steering geometry (have the fork at a steeper angle) then you ought to be able to just put on the new front and end get the same result as Steve's Silvetta. The thing you can't change easily is the angle at which the hydroformed body tube is welded to the head tube.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Seems most everyone is happy and glad for the new non-shock Silvio. As a newly minted Silvio owner, less than a month, I wonder how the new fork will affect support and service for the old front end. I read what can't happen; upgrading an old Silvio fork for the new.

What is the reliability record for the front shock? Should I be concerned?
My Silvio V1.0 (2008) went 7 years until 2015 before an O ring on the top plug, above the air cylinder, started to leak and it cost $1 for two new o rings from the local hydraulics valve supplier.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
We have plenty of support for the old shock fork so no worries there to those that have that version. As Jeremy stated, maintaining the geometry is key. It is possible that some options might be reviewed on having a spacer, etc - but nothing for certain as economies of scale come into play for how many conversions would actually happen/get purchased versus how many would need to be produced without it costing a fortune to just manufacture a solution.

As it is now, the steer tube on the new forks is not long enough and a spacer would have to be designed and tested to even see if it would work.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We have plenty of support for the old shock fork so no worries there to those that have that version. As Jeremy stated, maintaining the geometry is key. It is possible that some options might be reviewed on having a spacer, etc - but nothing for certain as economies of scale come into play for how many conversions would actually happen/get purchased versus how many would need to be produced without it costing a fortune to just manufacture a solution.

As it is now, the steer tube on the new forks is not long enough and a spacer would have to be designed and tested to even see if it would work.

Building on those thoughts and the others in the thread...

No to be too silly; but that's almost the space of a Kickstarter effort. When there's nothing better to do Cruzbike (which won't happen soon); ..... figure out what a conversion would cost and how many people have to commit in order to make it possible and then let interest drive effort.... BUT... And it's a big BUT .... In the end though I have to think it's probably cheaper and better for almost everyone to let the suspended series be as is; and trend into the used market and bring us more people to the tribe. My thought being that the:

replace_with_new - sell_used <= upgrade_expense.

For something like this; it just never going to be cheap because it's ⅓ - ½ of the frame: Fork + Stay and probably then you want the boom too.

ccooper

There appears to be no chainstay extension for the S30 now. With a 47.5" Xseam, it appears that I'm out of the fit range for this bike. @Robert Holler can you confirm?

mzweili

Guru
A secret Robert Holler blog post,
I don’t miss the front suspension, the bike handles so much better that it’s not even in the same league.
As a Silvio 2.1 owner I don't really appreciate this kind of comments.
It sounds like Apple's PR. Every new release devaluates the previous one.
At least there should be a possibility to upgrade previous models.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
That looks like one mother of a Q Ring on that S30... Does that give it bling or what!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Isn't technology fantastic. Bikes are getting lighter and faster and even the engines are getting lighter and stronger. So an improvisation in the Silvio ... Whatever next ????
one word: Cruzbike "low-racer" ......o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool:
ok, maybe that's 2 words......