Bottom Bracket Suggestions?

Hi all,

I've just noticed some ticking noises coming from the bottom bracket on my Silvio 1.5 (this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-ultegra-6700-bottom-bracket/rp-prod38998 is what I have now). The noises have been getting a little worse lately, so I guess it's time to replace.

I could just replace it with what I've got now, but given that BB's are fairly inexpensive, I thought I'd upgrade. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm betting Ratz will.

Thanks,

John

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yep that's the top end one.

The distributor I recommend is Realworld Cycling they ship more complete kits with extra parts and instructions.
The Best BB is this one until someone dethrones them.
http://enduroforkseals.com/id240.html

They also have their own line that is less expensive; and very good, again angular bearings.
http://enduroforkseals.com/id198.html

But for those less expensive ones, I would only run the 440c Stainless $99 on a CB. The $79 one has chromium bearing and races, the $129 has ceramic bearings in a chromium race; but the $99 is all stainless; with the BB breaking the wind for you; humidity just likes to get in there and the $99 is going to hold up better and longer on a Cruzbike.

Chromium Races is why most cheap BB's don't hold up very long.

If have any questions email chris@realworldcycling.com and tell them you came from here you should get a+ support.

Those should be links to the Shimano ones.

Thanks guys. So, this looks really cool and I am pretty tempted, but I have to ask - what kind of difference do you think I'll notice stepping up from my Ultegra BB?

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
The 2013 friction facts bottom bracket report indicates quite a difference. Will you notice ?? I think you can adapt . lol.
Shimano Ultegra 1.48 watts (Steel, Standard Threaded)
Enduro XD-15 0.31 watts (Ceramic, Standard Threaded)
if you are not set on ceramic check out the price on hawk racing
Hawk Racing 0.32 watts (Steel, Standard Threaded)
later,,, bye

ratz

Thanks guys. So, this looks really cool and I am pretty tempted, but I have to ask - what kind of difference do you think I'll notice stepping up from my Ultegra BB?

There's a big different; I had to put a $30 SRAM BB on the V 2.0 on the trainer; it felt like mud; lasted 1 week and the $99 RWC was installed; mean while the XD-15 is on the outdoor bikes.... it's always buyers remorse then you ride it and go "ok I get it now"... Last year I parted out just a used XD-15 to a forum member at a low price; he had his bike mechanic install it. Safe to say his bike mechanic still hates me for making him aware of that part or so I was told...

End of the day all power transfer starts at the BB; and our BB's move and take a ton of forces from the triangle; the better the part the better ride.

OK, thanks Tim and Ratz. At 1.48 watts vs 0.31 watts - percentage wise, that's a big difference, but it's only 1.1 watt's difference. But I'll always wonder about it until I try, so I guess I will. Crossing my fingers for that "OK, I get it now" feeling.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
OK, thanks Tim and Ratz. At 1.48 watts vs 0.31 watts - percentage wise, that's a big difference, but it's only 1.1 watt's difference. But I'll always wonder about it until I try, so I guess I will. Crossing my fingers for that "OK, I get it now" feeling.
John,
try spinning the crank without the chain on the Shimano BB then again with the new and notice the 3 times number of revolutions before stopping!

Ratz has a video of the differences!! IF he can find it!!!!

OK, I made the purchase. Thanks for the video.

I've already got my BB off the Silvio so I can't give you a spin count, but I did happen to spin it before I took it apart. My Ultegra BB spun better than the SRAM but not as well as the XD15.

My Silvio and Vendetta have the same components (all Ultegra). I think I'll take the working BB off of the V and put it on the Silvio, so I can put the shiny new XD15 on the V. I'll do the spin test when I have everything put together.

ratz

I think I'll take the working BB off of the V and put it on the Silvio,

That's how we did it too, trickle down.

I'll do the spin test when I have everything put together.

Remember Robert's Guidance too; tighten the chain stay clamps until hand tight then back off a quarter turn; no need to crush those new XD15 cups.

I OCR'd the install instruction over here: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-v20-build-diary-2016.10189/page-5#post-122240
so you can study up while you wait.

Valokey81

Does the xd-15 road come with everything I need for Installation? Or do I have to buy additional components. Thank

ratz

Does the xd-15 road come with everything I need for Installation? Or do I have to buy additional components. Thank

If you get it from RWC you will have everything you could need. If you are unsure which part kit to get just ask here and specify which crank set you want to use and I can double check their are 4 flavors a that work depending on the crank.

Valokey81

If you get it from RWC you will have everything you could need. If you are unsure which part kit to get just ask here and specify which crank set you want to use and I can double check their are 4 flavors a that work depending on the crank.
Currently awaiting a shimano ultegra 6800 group set. Compact 11 speed. Image below

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    849.4 KB · Views: 6

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey... I just bought some ceramic pulleys to go with the RWC Ceramic BB. Summer will be a breeze for sure! I got them in yellow to go with the Vendetta.

I had a great ride today but dinged my leg going up a bridge when changing down. Guess the next big thing on my list is a Di2 upgrade.