Bottom Bracket Suggestions?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey... I just bought some ceramic pulleys to go with the RWC Ceramic BB. Summer will be a breeze for sure! I got them in yellow to go with the Vendetta.

I had a great ride today but dinged my leg going up a bridge when changing down. Guess the next big thing on my list is a Di2 upgrade.

Wow, look at the free spin on those babies, I got to have:p

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hey... I just bought some ceramic pulleys to go with the RWC Ceramic BB. Summer will be a breeze for sure! I got them in yellow to go with the Vendetta.

I had a great ride today but dinged my leg going up a bridge when changing down. Guess the next big thing on my list is a Di2 upgrade.

Nice video but my gosh doing the install on the bike is nuts. Just remove the derailleur before you bend the hanger

Nice video but my gosh doing the install on the bike is nuts. Just remove the derailleur before you bend the hanger
Funny - I thought something similar. Why is he trying to thread the chain through as he puts it together? Put the thing together and THEN thread the chain through! Sheesh!

Well, I got the XD-15 installed on the V, and the V's old Ultegra bottom bracket moved to the Silvio. The XD-15 is very smooth and definitely spins easier than the Ultegra. I haven't taken it out for a 'real' ride yet, just a quick spin around the block to see how it felt. Felt good. Not sure if it feels $200 good, but whatever. I don't really have any regrets, I guess.

But here's the kicker - my Silvio still has the creak! I thought it was coming from the bottom bracket, but clearly I was wrong about that because I swapped that out. The cranks and pedals seem solid. I don't think it's coming from those. So I came home and put the bike on the trainer and started spinning the cranks by hand, while next to the bike. Hmm, sounds like it's coming from the headset from this angle. OK, so I took the top bolts and spacers off the headset - everything looks fine, put it back together, nice and tight. Still a little bit creaky, but not as much. I looked around and didn't see any cracks.

I keep using the word "creaky" to describe the sound - it's really something in between a creak and ticking sounds.

At this point, It doesn't seem like anything I need to be concerned about - just an annoyance. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, while I had the chain off I noticed that ONE pulley spun great and the other was slow. So I removed the slow one, took it apart, cleaned it up, put it back together (used a little Hob-E-Lub graphite in there for a dry lubricant - it's really good stuff). Got that slow spinning pulley in good shape. Not quite as good as its brother, but a definite improvement.

ratz

At this point, It doesn't seem like anything I need to be concerned about - just an annoyance. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

You have a loose spoke. Whenever you can't find a creak and it happens under power; it's always a stupid loose spoke. I have a t-shirt that proves it.

ratz

Well, I got the XD-15 installed on the V, and the V's old Ultegra bottom bracket moved to the Silvio. The XD-15 is very smooth and definitely spins easier than the Ultegra. I haven't taken it out for a 'real' ride yet, just a quick spin around the block to see how it felt. Felt good. Not sure if it feels $200 good, but whatever. I don't really have any regrets, I guess.

When it still spins like that after 3 years of hard riding it will feel $400 good. But that's the battle on that one it take time to see in not degrade after 1000's of miles. I was doing some swap outs this spring and my main XD-15 is on it's 3rd frame Silvio --> Yellow V --> V20 and it's still Day 1 perfect.

RAR

You can get a tick, tick, tick, from a creaking boom clamp (clamps to the stem). Take the bolt out and grease it. I did both the threads and outer part. Low and behold my creaking Bottom Bracket creaked no more. If that doesn't work try greasing the part of the lower boom that slides inside the upper boom.
What trplaysaid...I had the exact same thing happen!

You have a loose spoke. Whenever you can't find a creak and it happens under power; it's always a stupid loose spoke. I have a t-shirt that proves it.
Hmm, good idea, and it was something I hadn't checked yet, but they all seem tight and they all sing when I pluck them. I don't think it's a spoke.

You can get a tick, tick, tick, from a creaking boom clamp (clamps to the stem). Take the bolt out and grease it. I did both the threads and outer part. Low and behold my creaking Bottom Bracket creaked no more. If that doesn't work try greasing the part of the lower boom that slides inside the upper boom.
Oooh, that could be it! When I had it on the trainer and was spinning the pedals from the side, it did seem to be coming from that area. And it did seem to help a little when I took that off and reassembled. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I had perhaps the same sound on the V awhile ago. BB ok, greased the bolts on boom/slider clamps and re-tightened, even a light coating of grease on the inside of the clamps themselves, did the same on steerer tube clamp, checked spokes, still creaked. Finally in desperation took things apart enough to tighten down the bolt that goes to the star nut some more. Reassembled, front fork still turned freely. Rode it. Creak/ticking gone. Hope it doesn't come back.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well, BB is fitted but the LBS has over tightened it so it doesn't spin like the video or should I ride it for a bit and then try the spin test?

Last edited:

ratz

Well, BB is fitted but the LBS has over tightened it so it doesn't spin like the video or should I ride it for a bit and then try the spin test?

Four possible errors can cause no spin, check for these:
  1. Chain stay cup clamps are too tight; (Tight hand tight where a 5inch long allen wrench starts to bend; then back off ¼ turn)
  2. Crank spindle was tightened beyond the torque spec
  3. Wave washer wasn't install on the drive side; and/or plastic spacers were incorrectly added to the non drive side.
  4. MTB cup spacers where used between the BB-Shell (aka the frame) and the BB-Bearing-Cups on error.

DavidCH

Love this video, especially the part at the end when it rocks back and forth. I did notice on mine, the $129 ceramic model, it took a couple of rides to break it in before I saw that kind of free momentum.
Ok... Perhaps I will try this. How far were your couple of rides? Perhaps 200km?

My new ceramic BB spins but not anything like in the video. The thought of taking it apart is not appealing but I don't mind going for a couple of rides. I think it's just greased up and needs a bit of a vroom to get it all singing and dancing.

DavidCH

The couple of rides did something ... However crank doesn't spin like in the video... Guess either I get the tools and do it myself or it goes back to the LBS.