BOUGHT TODAY 2017 01 27 slightly used Silvio S30 frameset with front Suspension

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Do you want to upgrade your Silvio S30 to the Newest S30 with the Vendetta style Lighter Performance Front Triangle(LPFT)?

Do you want to lose 1 kg from your bike overnight, and have a more responsive front end?

If so, please sell me your front suspended S30 frameset, for $1750, hopefully with a 100 mm chain stay extension, and when your sparkling new S30 arrives, pack the old S30 frame into the NEW S30 Shipping box, I will pay for the shipping to Australia!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Slim, you're getting a Vendetta. We all are. Resistance is futile.
ZZZorse, this engine is OLD, HEAVY, SLOW, and UNDERPOWERED, and enjoys riding the Rockies, where there are actual mountains and not just hills, and the rivers ROAR, and don't just meander!
Because the backbone of the engine, was damaged in a trail bike accident, it needs the SOFT ride of an air suspended Silvio S30, to handle the 50 mph+ descents of the rough roads of the Rockies!

mzweili

Guru
Cy1kOXlUcAApiBN.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You need to get you order in NOW, if you want your new S30 to be flown in by some drones, so it is under the Christmas tree before the big day!

Then sell your OLD front suspended S30 to me!

Do you want to upgrade your Silvio S30 to the Newest S30 with the Vendetta style Lighter Performance Front Triangle(LPFT)?

Do you want to lose 1 kg from your bike overnight, and have a more responsive front end?

If so, please sell me your front suspended S30 frameset, for $1750, hopefully with a 100 mm chain stay extension, and when your sparkling new S30 arrives, pack the old S30 frame into the NEW S30 Shipping box, I will pay for the shipping to Australia!

Slim, I'm taking a break from roads. I've got an S30 with front suspension, 100mm chainstay extension, curved boom, bar-end shifters, front wheel with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x25 tire, disc brake front, caliper brakes rear. I'm in Clovis, California.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yes, and I have a John Tolhurst trial bike (Second one, as the Softrider frame was a trial frame as well), not just his signature on my bike!

The warmth of the jt posterior on your trial bikes fades as the signature on my bike glows gloriously on the garage wall.

Of course the story of meeting him and his family means more. And of course involved yourself.

How are you liking the s30.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The S30 28 degree seat back, is more Aero, and spreads my light weight better over the seat, and no Recum butt so far, and the disk brakes are fantastic, but I have not dialed in the headrest and the top of the standard CF one piece Cruzbike seat. I think I need extra foam in the shoulder area, as when resting on the head rest, my face is 10 degree behind vertical, and is OK for a straight smooth roads only!

I cannot use the Polish seat as it is too long to fit in the new max size suitcase I have bought, for my next trip to USA/Canada.
I will fit the S30 (minus seat) into a 26"*26"*10" cardboard box with 4 25mm conduit and flanges for support. I will use the photos of a famous road runner when packing his V2.1 for a trip to France and a gentle ride from Paris to Brest and back, as a guide for me!!

The rear suspension is too harsh for me, as I am used to my air bag rear suspension on the V1, but I have just fitted 26"*42 mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes running at 50 psi, and I will see if that helps. If it gets above 14C (57F) today, I will try it out!

The front air cylinder suspension on both, is still a dream to use and NO rotational slop, and absorbs all those nasty tree root speed bumps with ease!

The view of the road in front of me is the same, as is general viewing, so good for Bike Tours!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I think the ideal situation would be an S40 front triangle attached to an S30 frame with rear suspension. Rigid front end plus lite weight titanium leaf rear suspension.

It think 30 to 33 deg is sufficiently more aero (than S40) while avoiding recumbent butt and retaining a good front view.

I think the ideal situation would be an S40 front triangle attached to an S30 frame with rear suspension. Rigid front end plus lite weight titanium leaf rear suspension.

It think 30 to 33 deg is sufficiently more aero (than S40) while avoiding recumbent butt and retaining a good front view.
So you want the last version of the S30 but add extra seat pad to the recline and change out the front triangle? The last S30s had no front suspension and a 28 degree recline, I believe.

telephd

Guru
IIRC my unsuspended S30 had a seat angle of 33 degrees. When the head shock was removed the seat angle increased. I really miss mine.....

IIRC my unsuspended S30 had a seat angle of 33 degrees. When the head shock was removed the seat angle increased. I really miss mine.....

Thanks. There are not many around. I have the S30 but dual suspension. I love it. I like the look of the S30 better that the S40.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
So you want the last version of the S30 but add extra seat pad to the recline and change out the front triangle? The last S30s had no front suspension and a 28 degree recline, I believe.
The S40 front stays do not clamp the BB cups like the S30 did. For that reason I think the S40 front triangle is better but the S30 frame (rear suspension) is better for all round road riding.

Hence my conclusion that the last iteration of the Silvio S30 with a rigid front end and a suspended rear end(33 deg seat angle) was almost the perfect general purpose roadbike if only it did not clamp the BB cups.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
My understanding is that the S30 and V20 were approaching very similar customers. I would agree with ak-tux's analysis, if you don't quite want a race machine the final S30 with the upgraded front triangle of the current S40, Q45, V20 would give you a very responsive, aero road platform. The change to the S40 had more changes than just changing the seat angle. Other than the front triangle change mentioned, the rear triangle was triangulated unsuspended, and lengthened. Lengthened results in a little better compensation for bumps than if it was kept the same length at that angle, some have also mentioned something about the horizontal location of the ear in relation to the rear wheel axle. And something about the former suspension versions being someone else's patent and so the new versions do not include royalties to another company for the suspension design. Rear triangle allows for mounting fenders, multiple racks for touring. Have I missed anything? S40 aims solidly at touring/commuting where the S30 was aimed more at road without attachments.

dtseng

When I designed my bike, I wanted its maneuverability like a DF road bike. Therefore, I use my road bike as a reference: head tube angle 72 degree, trail 70 mm, only extended wheel base to 1040 mm. Owing to the lighter front end and relatively shorter wheel base, I can make U-turns on narrow streets. The back rest angle of 34 degrees is good for cycling on the city bike path and group ride. The upper stay is curved to be more flexible. Being a tribe member here, I avoid some of the problems: clamp the chain stay on BB shell, install correctly the front derailleur hanger. In the future, I might want to make the main frame tube that can be separated into two sections, the rear stays are bolted on (not welded) to make the bike portable. My next frame will have a back rest angle 24 degrees and wheel base 1120 mm by extending the rear stays to clear the end of the main frame tube from the rear tire. The rear stays can be made very elastic, the problem is: when I hit a pot hole on the street, the vibration is undamped. Perhaps I need an extra thick cushion on Thor seat. From technical point of view, Speedone Company's rear suspension on S30 does have a merit. It has a better side-way stiffness than the swing arm type of suspension. But swing arm suspension equipped with an air shock is very comfortable. I am testing a design in which the pivot has cartridge bearings.

Last edited: