Bullhorn and Dropbar Options

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok here are the rough photos of the bars on the bikes.

First up Midge

Key dimensions:

Top of brifter inside edge to edge: 17in
Base of brifter inside edge to edge: 15.5in
Width from forward bend to bend: 14in

Forward reach from centerline to front of brifter: 5.75in
Forward reach from centerline to front of drop: 4.75in

IMG_5140.jpg IMG_5141.jpg IMG_5142.jpg IMG_5143.jpg IMG_5144.jpg IMG_5145.jpg

Last edited:

ratz

Salsa Cowchipper2

Key dimensions:

Top of brifter inside edge to edge: 17in
Base of brifter inside edge to edge: 16in
Width from forward bend to bend: 15in

Forward reach from centerline to front of brifter: 3.5in
Forward reach from centerline to front of drop: 3.5in

IMG_5146.jpg IMG_5147.jpg IMG_5148.jpg IMG_5149.jpg IMG_5150.jpg IMG_5151.jpg IMG_5152.jpg

Last edited:

ratz

Salsa Woodchipper3

Key dimensions:

Top of brifter inside edge to edge: 14.5in
Base of brifter inside edge to edge: 16.5in
Width from forward bend to bend: 15.75in

Forward reach from centerline to front of brifter: 6in
Forward reach from centerline to front of drop: 4.75in

IMG_5153.jpg IMG_5155.jpg IMG_5156.jpg IMG_5157.jpg IMG_5158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz is the woodchipper actually the cowbell as the woodchipper I have has a LOT of flare on it?
Woodchipper
woodchipper .jpg

comparison woodchipper, Cowbell, midge on one

Attachments

• woodchipper cowchipper midge on one cruzbike TOP View.jpg
    woodchipper cowchipper midge on one cruzbike TOP View.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 95
  • woodchipper cowchipper midge on one cruzbike TOP View.jpg
    woodchipper cowchipper midge on one cruzbike TOP View.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

ratz

Ratz is the woodchipper actually the cowbell as the woodchipper I have has a LOT of flare on it?View attachment 2536

Nope that's that's the woodchipper same as we have; with it's distinct inward flare at the brifters and supper wide drops. They get mounted very vertically and we cut off the end of the bars so that there is only 1 hand width plus 1.5 inches of bar beyond the brifter. Then make a nice compromise for people that can take a narrower bar but need a longer reach..

Cowchipper good for thin or thick legs but a short reach.
Woodchipper works good for thin legs and longer reach
Midge good for thick legs and longer reach

The midge bar also is probably the ultimate CruzMoose bar. If you look at the low angle Hardy runs his Stock CB bars at the Midge is perfect for that, and I can tweak mine like that in seconds for really long distance riding.

Both the Cowchipper and Woodchipper had to be cut; the Midge did not.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Great pics and summary. And very nice bar taping too!

Love the bike's name: Hammer of Ratz (better English trans: Ratz's Hammer. Or Mallet??)

Were you too afraid of running out of room on the slider to go with 'Caoutchouc Marteau de Ratz'? :cool::D:p

ratz

Great pics and summary. And very nice bar taping too!

Love the bike's name: Hammer of Ratz (better English trans: Ratz's Hammer. Or Mallet??)

Were you too afraid of running out of room on the slider to go with 'Caoutchouc Marteau de Ratz'? :cool::D:p

I liked that I put "Ratz's Mallet" into translate and it round trips as "Ratz's Hammer."
Double meaning depending on who you are :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
fantastic effort ratz.

went with the 46cm cowchipper 2 on the v20. cant leverage them as much as the original bar but i like the brifters pointing straight and not too much hanging out the sides brake lever wise. good for leaning the bike against a wall.

my arms are virtually straight when i am on the top the hoods and have a relaxed bend down in the hoop.

my thighs just caress the bar occasionally using the two spacers on the steerer. no slamming here. six 1 and a bit slim build.

love em. thanks again.

joy

Just changed to Woodchipper II, 42 cm. Will give them a ride tomorrow. On a short 2 miles they feel fine, but the brifter angle is different. Not bad, just different.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    806.9 KB · Views: 78

PeteClark

This post was inspired by the picture of Jim in the wind tunnel, but I've put it here because handlebars seem to be a topic of enduring interest. I've been riding Midge On-Ones and have been very happy with them (thanks Ratz). After seeing that pic of Jim, I wanted a solution that got my hands and arms more inboard, preferably in the "aerodynamic shadow" of my feet and legs, but not as extreme as Larry's "suicide" bars. I got a handlebar that is only 36cm wide c-c, installed it upside down, far enough back so that the bar and brifters don't interfere with my legs.
front ridder.jpg
side rider.jpg
cockpit.jpg
cockpit front.jpg
The first ride was a bit wobbly... proof that I've been pulling on the bars to steer, rather than the ideal of pushing sideways. It was windy and I felt like I was taking it rather easy... but rode an average time for my normal route. So there my be some aero advantage. The ergo shape of the bars put the levers too close to the bend, and the reach put the brifters above my knees. If I pursue this solution further I'll be looking for bars with a classic "round" bend, 34-36cm wide, with a bit shorter reach.

Last edited:

PeteClark

If I pursue this solution further I'll be looking for bars with a classic "round" bend, 34-36cm wide, with a bit shorter reach.
No need for different bars. I rotated the bars back, repositioned the brifters ahead of the flat sections, and cut a few more inches off the bar ends. Now there is plenty of room between the levers and the bars, and the brifters are lower than my knees.
rotated_bars.jpg

Attachments

• rotated_bars.jpg
    rotated_bars.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 18

ratz

Who was I kidding. Apparently the n+1 rule applies to handlebars as well. My hands felt a bit cramped in the tight bend of the ergo bars, so I did find 36cm road bars with a rounder bend (BBK from kirraweecycles)... much more comfortable.

N+4 but you'll figure that out over time :)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Who was I kidding. Apparently the n+1 rule applies to handlebars as well. My hands felt a bit cramped in the tight bend of the ergo bars, so I did find 36cm road bars with a rounder bend (BBK from kirraweecycles)... much more comfortable.
View attachment 4319 View attachment 4320 View attachment 4321 View attachment 4322

Very ingenious. Keeps your wrists out of adduction, good support, looks pretty easy to get used to, good spot for mirrors, affords a couple of different hand positions. I like it. The only disadvantage I see is that it doesn't allow your arms to be very straight.

Since you're obviously not averse to alternate handlebar mounting, did you consider anything like the configuration pictured below? If so, what made you decide against it? What disadvantages did you see (or do you see now)? (In addition to pics below, see posts by @castlerobber and @hoyden)

IMG_0495.JPGIMG_0496.JPG

(Apologies for my ever messy garage/bike shop)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 4319 View attachment 4320 View attachment 4321 View attachment 4322
Very good layout as you hands are BEHIND you knees and legs, AND you have extra leverage compared to the Famous Suicide bars!

I THINK that you have better pulling power with your elbows at 90 degrees instead of straight, but I could be wrong!