Bullhorn and Dropbar Options

PeteClark

Since you're obviously not averse to alternate handlebar mounting, did you consider anything like the configuration pictured below? If so, what made you decide against it? What disadvantages did you see (or do you see now)?
I had seen your setup before and admired the clean lines and multiple hand positions. While many setups have 2 specific positions, it appears that you have a more continuous range of hand positions.

My objective was to reduce my frontal area by bringing my hands and arms more inboard. I already had brifters, so started by looking for a solution that would allow me to keep them... in fact I didn't re-do the cabling during these changes, just slipped the brifters off the old bars and onto the new.

I THINK that you have better pulling power with your elbows at 90 degrees instead of straight, but I could be wrong!
Pulling power feels fine. My objective was improved aerodynamics, but I'm not sure if the narrower profile with bent arms is better than straight arms.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
A very interesting option, I think, are those bars:

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/gator-handlebar
HUGE drops (you can trim them, of course), will accept the thickest of legs.
The unique advantage is that they are 22.2 mm, hence you can attach flat bar brakes and shifters - good for mountain bikers who usually have those lying around in abundance.
Not very aero, but they should put your hands in excellent position for shifting, braking and pulling.
Anyone wants to try one? I'd volunteer to be a guinea pig, but I'm short of funds ATM (more like permanently, lately :().

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
A very interesting option, I think, are those bars:

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/gator-handlebar
HUGE drops (you can trim them, of course), will accept the thickest of legs.
The unique advantage is that they are 22.2 mm, hence you can attach flat bar brakes and shifters - good for mountain bikers who usually have those lying around in abundance.
Not very aero, but they should put your hands in excellent position for shifting, braking and pulling.
Anyone wants to try one? I'd volunteer to be a guinea pig, but I'm short of funds ATM (more like permanently, lately :().

Those are pretty much identical to the stock ones; sans the really long ends.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Cool! Except, I guess, stock Cruzbike bars are not 22.2 at the drops, too?
Correct they are road dimensions.

I'm currently working hard to get some bars in for testing that have 42,44,46 spacing, a negative 6 degree flare and in two flavors; 80mm reach and 100mm reach. These may go a long way to giving more leg clearance and the ability to have straight and powerful arms with a long arm angle. more coming on that soon.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Correct they are road dimensions.

I'm currently working hard to get some bars in for testing that have 42,44,46 spacing, a negative 6 degree flare and in two flavors; 80mm reach and 100mm reach. These may go a long way to giving more leg clearance and the ability to have straight and powerful arms with a long arm angle. more coming on that soon.
Will you be trying different crank lengths as well, to assist in reach adjustment?
For a finder's fee, I could put you in contact with someone that has an attachment that will give you 110 to 175 mm crank lengths!

BJ686

Been taking a look at this old thread as I have been looking for new handlebars which are narrower than the stock bars, but still have a bit of flare for hand comfort/leg avoidance. Ended up buying a set of "Pinarello Most Gravel Bars" off EBAY which are 44 cm hood to hood and 49 cm at the flared ends (stock are about 55 cm at flared ends, so save about 3 cm of width on each side)).

So far, really like them. Everyone is different, but these fit me pretty well and seem to be the exact balance of enough width to avoid the legs, but also as narrow as possible for aero purposes.

Also, surprisingly, I think I feel more stable and have better control than I did with wider bars. I had thought I would lose a little bit of stability with the loss of leverage, but seems to be the opposite---perhaps this is due to my arms being outstretched in a more straight manner (or maybe just placebo effect!).

Couldn't find this bar on the web, but think it may be a predecessor of the Jaguar Most Gravel Bars. See pics below:
enhance
enhance
enhance

Rod Butler

I can't see any of those pictures Ivan but I'm posting this under the more general heading of handlebars.
I have had a Rolhoff IGH on my S40 since day one but the shifter never fitted the supplied Cruzbike handlebars.
For a long (what is now clearly too long) time I had an attachment fitted that meant I had to take my hand off the grips
to change gears. Very frustrating, inefficient and at times dangerous.

...recently I purchased some Soma Gator handlebars which allow the Rolhoff shifter to slide (mostly) on
as their diameter is slightly smaller. Some fiddling and filing to get it up as far as I wanted and cutting
off 50mm excess. Eventually the set up ended up pretty much the same as before but with a shifter
now fitted 'in-line'. I did have to get rid of my TT brake levers which I preferred... but, small price.
The relief was immediate, it was like a new bike. I can't believe how I rode and camped over UK and France
with the previous configuration. Belt drive next ??
Rolhoff shifter 1.jpg Rolhoff shifter 2.jpg

Al_D

Ratz
I wound up ordering these same Profile Design bars... before I read your excellent summation.

Al_D

Rob...
What a unique S40... both a Rohloff Speedhub and the Steer Stopper... very innovative!
I have been a Rohloff fan/user for many years... Thanks for posting this.