Chain Skip

3WHELZ

Guru
I recently replaced my Campy 10sp chain with a Wipperman Connex 10S8 chain. However, I am now experiencing chain skip on the smallest sprocket when I applying pressure. I cannot recreate the problem while the Silvio is on the stand. My first thought was that the sprocket may have enough wear to cause the slip. The chain seems to be aligned properly (or the best that it can be to accommodate a triple). Any ideas are welcomed!

Thanks in advance, Dean

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Things I'd check (I doubt this is anything new to you):
1) Same number of links in the chain
2) Old chain was worn?
3) Sprocket worn
4) Chain is becoming slack under bumps, which can cause skips or hard efforts.
(This is why I use the clutch-versions of the derailleurs)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
In my garage this usually means the master link is not seated correctly; crank the link clean inspect and reinstall.

McWheels

Off the long run
I'd guess the derailleur isn't aligning right or that the chain has a rusty link that isn't bending quickly enough. First more likely than the second.

3WHELZ

Guru
Thank you all for your input! I was on travel, I am just now catching up. This will be one of my weekend projects.

3WHELZ

Guru
A quick update, the problem was a worn 1st position sprocket (cog). I could not find a Campy 13t-1P sprocket anywhere and settled for 12t-1P. I also replaced the 14t sprocket with a 13t, since I had not paid attention that I need a first position sprocket when first ordering -- lesson learned. I now have no chain skip an a modified cassette.