Chain WAXing (yes it's that easy) - and other mysteries of this art!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Oh my.... now I don't even need to heat the wax! (I will though because I bought enough wax to last me years. But this stuff below looks really cool)

CeramicSpeed’s new UFO Drip chain coating is supposedly the fastest available – despite becoming solid on the chain

http://flip.it/z5veK1

.. at ".... cost £70 per 180ml.":eek: I'd rather stick to my pot of wax+Teflon ... just saying.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Ok I'm convinced all bikes going wax.

Use in equal parts paraffin candle wax paraffin oil and for suspension xylene or mineral turps for liquid room temp application out of a squirty bottle.

First two ingredients use as per entire thread crockpot melt soak chain wipe and bag

Three ingredients for a portable rewax option.

Cool thanks. No more dirty greasy man abuse from missus lol

jond

Zen MBB Master
Oh yeah kmc gold 10 Spd sil chain 1000 klm on fat bike wear limit using rock n roll gold lube every second ride. Lots of soft sand riding.

So will be interesting to see if candles can hold a match to that.

To the wife's kitchen cupboards I go before she gets home. ;)

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Oh yeah kmc gold 10 Spd sil chain 1000 klm on fat bike wear limit using rock n roll gold lube every second ride. Lots of soft sand riding.

So will be interesting to see if candles can hold a match to that.

To the wife's kitchen cupboards I go before she gets home. ;)

My experience exactly, only even less than 1000 km on XTR chain - and it hit wear limit. Sand eats chains for breakfast... if it can get inside the friction pairs, that is!
I guarantee that you'll get an order of magnitude more out of your chains in such conditions.

jond

Zen MBB Master
My experience exactly, only even less than 1000 km on XTR chain - and it hit wear limit. Sand eats chains for breakfast... if it can get inside the friction pairs, that is!
I guarantee that you'll get an order of magnitude more out of your chains in such conditions.

I hope so but the rock n roll gold is wax based and the chain is always shiney and clean. But I can feel it crunching as it were. So maybe I need to clean chain and wax more often too. Going to try a weekly schedule with two chains. I like to clean off bike so quicklink is imperative.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I hope so but the rock n roll gold is wax based and the chain is always shiney and clean. But I can feel it crunching as it were. So maybe I need to clean chain and wax more often too. Going to try a weekly schedule with two chains. I like to clean off bike so quicklink is imperative.

R&R gold contains clorinated paraffins - which are excellent EP additives but are NOT actually guaranteed to work in chain mode of operation (pressure and temperature).
And besides, what is most important is consistency - a bit tacky, but otherwise hard yet pliable. With a proper wax mixture, you chain will NOT crunch even when traversing sand dunes, and a grinding paste for a 'lubricant' is actually worse than no lubricant at all (if you were running your chain completely dry, you would likely see 2x more life from your chain, if you don't mind the noise :)).

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
GCN resebtly said Friction facts did a sound/drag test on chains and found the the quietest chains were not the fastest. So when your waxed chain breaks in after 100 miles and you can hear each roller contact the teeth that doesn't mean it's slower.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Finally took the plunge (or dip) $4.00 crock pot at thrift store and an old candle. So far so good. Only 50 miles so far but quiet and clean and shifting fine. Did this once about 20 years ago but thought it was too much trouble. I'll see how it goes this time. There seem to be alot of believers out there.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
3 years ago - I spent about $50 for 3 pounds of "molten-speed". Sound like a lot of money, but in that time I have ridden about close to 45,000 miles and have only used up 1/2 pound of the stuff. I re-dip my chains every time I hear them start chirping at me! I know, the guy who tests everything hasn't tested all the variations of wax and oils. Oh - well - It works great and my time is limited. And at a cost of only about $8 for 3 years - it is almost free. Actually the amount of chains that I would have had to purchase if I had not used it - this $8 probably saved me at least $500 in extra chain purchases in the end! Moving on ..... happily. :rolleyes:

3 years ago - I spent about $50 for 3 pounds of "molten-speed". Sound like a lot of money, but in that time I have ridden about close to 45,000 miles and have only used up 1/2 pound of the stuff. I re-dip my chains every time I hear them start chirping at me! I know, the guy who tests everything hasn't tested all the variations of wax and oils. Oh - well - It works great and my time is limited. And at a cost of only about $8 for 3 years - it is almost free. Actually the amount of chains that I would have had to purchase if I had not used it - this $8 probably saved me at least $500 in extra chain purchases in the end! Moving on ..... happily. :rolleyes:
What do you mean chirping? Could you possibly record it on a train or reverse pedalling?

I haven't redipped my titanium chain since I first did it April last year. I have checked for chain wear and their is none, it looks in pretty good condition. I don't ride as much as I used to with the twins home however my bike does tend to get a bit of dust from the dirt patch in the yard if only I good get grass to grow, bloody dogs.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I did not read all of the posts in this thread but a clean and waxed chain picks up less sand and dirt that would accelerate wear on the really expensive parts. 20 bucks for wax is nothing.

I only pony'd up for the $20 1 pound bag of Molten wax in 2014 and might be half thru it...?? I rode 39,000 miles over the 2014-2016 timeframe and my rings are fine, those expensive cassettes are good, as are the pulleys. I also use Squirt lube on really long rides or if just feeling lazy to take the chain off to clean and wax properly. I find the drivetrain is very quiet with the Squirt. I use a heat gun to melt it into the roller and pins.

Not having greasy legs stains is another waxing benefit.

Frank Costantini

Good to hear. I just want to add that cost is still of higher importance then only using an single quick link. If I can buy 3 x11sl chains for $50 and make two vendetta chains with a bunch left over for future chains then I'm not going to spend $100 on a single chain out of bulk. This really only works if it's as cost effective as our current setups because honestly two quick links isn't an issue.

Where can you buy 3 x11sl chains for $50?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Where can you buy 3 x11sl chains for $50?

You can't they are $50 each. So for $150 you get 2.7 chains vs $200 for two chains cut to length apparently. I honestly don't even recall where I got $100 cut to length chains from but I'm sure way back when I did the research.

I'm still on those original two chains and they are still maybe 20% worn at the worst. I'm still 1-2 years away from needing to replace them.

hoyden

I just bought my first X10SL. Do folks strip off the factory grease and then wax, or use it for a while and wax later? I will probably use the chain indoors riding on rollers since I suspect riding weather in MN is done for the season.

Markopolo

The wax test referred to earlier is not an indication of the superiority of wax but the shittiness of over the counter chain lubes.
Try this:

Dow Corning Molykote 40 High Temperature Chain Lubricant

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Ho Ho I did this with one of my bikes... it's pretty old. The drive chain is as quiet as a mouse until I put any power on it then the cassette slips ... The sprockets on the cassette are worn out. Slightly irritated as the plan was to sell the bike without having to update anything. So if you have an old bike... don't clean the chain so well. LOL. Terrible thing to say.