Check your tires after each ride

Tigerpaw

This is what my front tire looked like after I got home from a century ride on Saturday. The tire had 1200 miles on it, but Schwalbe is sending me a new one. Pretty cool!

IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1259.JPG

Tigerpaw

Apparently the so called blister is a rare occurence in tubeless tires. The only issue I've had before now is a cut that would not seal (twice), but not on this tire above. Since I started using the Orange sealant, things have seemed to be much better. I do not recommend Bontrager sealant as all it did was spray everything out.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
That's gonna hurt!

I had a cut tire once that allowed the innertube to blow out like a big chewing-gum bubble. I popped with a huge BANG!

I had to go find a place to change my shorts.

McWheels

Off the long run
I had a similar thing happen on the way to an ODI at Lords. It was Regent Street outside BBC Broadcasting House. At first the sharpness of the sound and the echoing off all the buildings made me dissociate myself from it, but when my bottom descended more than expected I reluctantly accepted it must have been me. Turned out the beading failed. Managed to find a bike shop, walk the rest of the way and got it back during the change of innings, only missing a few overs of the reply.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I had a similar thing happen on the way to an ODI at Lords. It was Regent Street outside BBC Broadcasting House. At first the sharpness of the sound and the echoing off all the buildings made me dissociate myself from it, but when my bottom descended more than expected I reluctantly accepted it must have been me. Turned out the beading failed. Managed to find a bike shop, walk the rest of the way and got it back during the change of innings, only missing a few overs of the reply.

Might have to explain cricket to our American friends. Lol

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Many years ago my back tyre exploded with a huge bang. There was a long gash. No idea why. I was going downhill fast, and then went into a traffic jam, which meant I was going slow when it blew. Had it gone slightly earlier, I would have been on a sticky wicket.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Might have to explain cricket to our American friends. Lol
Just say its like baseball, with only 2 bases, 2 batters who swap positions, and the batters keep going up to 5 days, (when you can measure how much the grass has grown!!!) until the top willow stick that balances on three sticks gets knocked off, instead of 2 hours max for baseball!

McWheels

Off the long run
Well black socks or trainers is a bit village, but if you've got some wheels then chin music could be in order provided it's not a shirt-front. Bit of love for the new conker and it'll hoop round corners, otherwise you're reduced to the corridor of uncetainty or see if there's some tweak available.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Many years ago my back tyre exploded with a huge bang. There was a long gash. No idea why. I was going downhill fast, and then went into a traffic jam, which meant I was going slow when it blew. Had it gone slightly earlier, I would have been on a sticky wicket.

This has also happened to me.
In my case, we figured out it was the rim overheating, which slowly cooked the air in the innertube, which caused it to explode (hot air expands).
The explosion happened on the order of 30s or a minute after the descent was over.

I use disc brakes now.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If you look at a cross-section of a wheel you see there is space inside. The wheel is a torus. You could put some sort of refrigeration system in there.