Couple blogs while crossing the USA

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member

Keith and Joy Kling are riding Cruzbikes on a 4265 mile tour going from Oregon to Maine this summer. They are planning to do a lot sight-seeing and cover about 60 miles/day.

An interview on their local TV news station is here with some nice video footage of their Silvios and a trailer.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29875398

Their blog is already started here:
http://kjkjaa.blogspot.com/

What a fun trip!

Jim

Tuloose

Guru
I had the pleasure of meeting Keith & Joy at the recent Cruzbile Retreat in WA.
They came up with a unique method for attaching Ortlieb recumbent bags to the Silvio.
Joy was very impressed by her test ride on the new Vendetta so what is next for this adventurous couple?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Had a lot of fun riding with them on Friday, Joy gets a big grin when you start taking about going faster. Should be cool to see what they do next.
They were talking about getting 2 Vendetta's when I was talking with them about "going faster"! :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I had the pleasure of meeting Keith & Joy at the recent Cruzbile Retreat in WA.
They came up with a unique method for attaching Ortlieb recumbent bags to the Silvio.
Joy was very impressed by her test ride on the new Vendetta so what is next for this adventurous couple?
Any photos of the Ortlieb connection method?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Poor Slim - all picture-less in Adelaide. :)
I also didn't see their connection method - so I guess I need pics too. ;)

Tuloose

Guru
Sorry, I don't have a photo of Joy's Silvio rack setup.
Keith adapted the Thule rack to her Silvio, getting the rack level by cutting out a piece of the plastic top on the rack to allow it to move forward a few inches.
The Ortlieb recumbent panniers mount under her seat via straps that go under the seat cushion.
The very short rack is used only to hold up the tail end of the panniers.
If anyone has Keith's address maybe he could send a photo or 2?

AbramClark

I started out touring with both rack with regular Ortlib panniers and side bags, but my next trip I'm leaving the rack behind for sure. I've now figured out that you can fit pretty big side bags easily on the Quest without a rack (I tie down the rear ends of the bag tightly to the rear forks to prevent wheel interference) and this weekend figured out it even works on the Silvio too with two bits of string running from the bottom rear fork over the seat in two places (at least with my 55 liter Radical bags). This is plenty for 3 season camping, and if I strap a bundle or just sleeping bag to the back of the seat I can fit in a few luxury items even.

DSCF1023.JPG DSCF1024.JPG DSCF1025.JPG DSCF1028.JPG DSCF1030.JPG DSCF1032.JPG DSCF1034.JPG
Maria says I need to speak up, so I'm trying. I'm going to try to post some pictures of the rack and pannier setup. I hope this works.

OK. The first picture shows the top of the rack. The front of the rack deck has to be cut to allow it to fit under the frame of the bike and still be level. It just took some trial and error to get it to work. Remember you have to leave room for the frame movement because of the suspension.

2nd picture is a little closer view of the cutout. (Sorry for the dirt. Joy has been out riding).

3rd picture shows the rack fastened to the frame. The rack comes with 3 different sizes of bars. I used the middle size to get the right angle.

4th The Ortlieb recumbent bag has straps that go across the seat and are adjustable velcro straps.

5th Pic Shows the rear of the pannier and the catch sitting on the bar of the rack. There are 2 straps visible in the picture. The fatter strap is for carrying the bags once they are off the bike. The skinnier straps are for pulling the bags off of the rack. When you pull up on the straps the catch is released. Great design by Orlieb!

6th A view from the back of the bike. These bags are empty. When they are full they really stick out. They are quite big, but have straps to take up the slack if you don't fill them up.

7th A view from the side.

Any questions?

Last edited:

Tuloose

Guru
Good job on the photos Keith!
Did Joy notice any increase of front wheel slippage when the panniers were loaded?

Hi Tuloose. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I need to hang out on this forum more often, I guess. This is where my friends hang out. I set up Joy's bike to demo the setup just for the retreat. She actually hasn't used the rack and panniers. But, I have! I took two of my grandkids on a trip from Yellowstone back to our home in Utah Valley (about 400 miles). I didn't notice any slippage except on a section of road we had to travel on that is hard packed gravel and then only on a quite steep section. As far as on pavement, no slippage. Of course if you went up a really steep grade you would, but with loaded panniers I would probably be pushing it up instead of riding it.