Cruzbike on indoor rollers.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Indeed it often cheaper to fly first class and get free bike shipment (don't tell the, its is a Bike) than it is to go coach and pay to ship the bike

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That video makes me feel SOOOOOO glad I live in Adelaide Sth Australia, where light SNOW of our really high 700m (2,100ft ) Mt Lofty, is a big news break!!!!

hoyden

1,012 miles on roller today since Nov 18. For a while I ran the bike with Panaracers on the front and rear and several times achieved an average speed over 17 mph over 20 miles. That's better than my out in the wild performance where I average about 15-16 mph over 45 miles, and my best average speed 16.2. When I got repeated flats on the rear Panaracer I replaced it with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. That dropped my average speed back to about 13.5 mph. The takeaway is that the Panaracers are really fast on rollers but for out in the wild I prefer a more durable flat resistant tire.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
1,012 miles on roller today since Nov 18. For a while I ran the bike with Panaracers on the front and rear and several times achieved an average speed over 17 mph over 20 miles. That's better than my out in the wild performance where I average about 15-16 mph over 45 miles, and my best average speed 16.2. When I got repeated flats on the rear Panaracer I replaced it with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. That dropped my average speed back to about 13.5 mph. The takeaway is that the Panaracers are really fast on rollers but for out in the wild I prefer a more durable flat resistant tire.
What about tubeless? You get fast rolling and good puncture protection.
Speed on rollers cannot be linked to speed on road, resistance on rollers is in aproximately linear relation to speed while on road it is quadratic.

hoyden

I've been following some of the tubeless posts and end up feeling not very confident I can handle tubeless. Plus, not knowing exactly what's involved. Do I need new rims? At least with tubeful I understand the topic and I have lots of practice. If someone has a pointer to a "Tubeless for Dummies" post I would give it a read.

Apart from the math that takes place between the tire and the road/roller I have compared my relative performance. The Panaracers on rollers are flat out faster and and require less calories per mile; both measures significantly better than my best in the wild numbers. When I replaced the Panaracer with the Schwalbe on the rear I noticed an immediate diminished average speed and higher heart rate. I had to work harder for less performance. The main difference I see is the Panaracer has smooth tread and inflates to 140 psi and the Schwalbe has groovy tread and inflates to 115 psi.

I would still have the Panaracer on the rear but for 4 flats in the past few weeks. I saved the tire and tube from the last flat and plan to see if I can figure out what's up. This was the same tire that gave me flats after about 700 miles when I got the bike new. The Panaracer on the front has been working just fine.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Try turning the tyre inside out, and using a strong desk light, closley inspect the tyre inside, by folding it backwards, to open up the tyre inside, and look for any thin bits of steel wire truck tyre reinforcement just sticking into the tyre inside.
If this does not work, try dabbing your finger on the tyre inside, so you could get a pin prick, not cut your finger open!

If you always locate the tyre name next to the valve stem, as the man with the BIG Rubber Mallet, and even bigger Nail Gun says, and you have located and marked the puncture location on the tube, then place the tube with the valve next to the Tyre name, and the puncture causing wire, glass chard, etc, will be located in one of two locations!

I had 20" 406 Marathon Plus tyres on my Scorpion FX trike and they were 2-3 kph+ SLOWER than Kojaks, and they howled when cornering hard and lifting the inside wheel.

The plus tyre as seen below WILL protect you from tacks ets due to the blue urethane protection, but SLOW!!!
schwalbe Marathon plus.jpg

hoyden

as the man with the BIG Rubber Mallet
The spirit of the BIG Rubber Mallet was nearby because when I took the tire off I made sure the tube came off inside the tire without disturbing the location relative to the tire. I put the mess down in the basement with the intention of getting round tuit later. I just wanted to ride again.