CruzBike Recumbent Jersey Ideas

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So CruzBike already has a jersey for sale on their site and a great many of us own one but how functional do you really find it over a standard jersey. The reason I ask is I find mine to be rather useless due to the tiny non elastic pockets on the side not being big enough or secure enough to even a phone safely. I'd love to use my jersey during an actual ride but I need somewhere to store my phone, wallet and maybe a few snacks or a pair of arm warmers.

I normally use my standard 3 pocket jerseys and hold my phone in my left pocket and a few baggies of drink mix in the right. I'd like to add my wallet to the left as well as my keys and maybe a small clothing item to the right but anything beyond the phone and baggies add they get between my back and the seat. Most the time I after remounting the bike I have to do a bit of shifting to move the items out to the side so they aren't poking me.

I'm thinking we need a jersey with true large elastic side pockets. If we use the three pocket design as a base we just ditch the center pocket or better yet make it wider then normal. This will move the two side pockets out a couple of inches to clear the seat back and give us true functional pockets we fell comfortable enough with to shove valuables in.

Taking the idea of functionality a step further for the Team CruzBike racers, you would add a pocket in front to ether side of the zipper. Here you can store snakes you'd like to eat while riding. This would be hugely useful for me and others in the 12-24hr race where grabbing a snake in the pits and quickly shoving it into the front pocket to eat later on the lap without needing to spot would save us a ton of time. I already bought a small fanny pack I plan to use in the front so my team can just hand me a sandwich and bottles and I can eat it later down the long back straitaway.

The functional side pocket idea wouldn't look all that different from a normal jersey but the more race oriented front pocket idea would look a little funny while off the bike and packed full. I figure if we all that worried about not looking a little funny and fitting in we would be on recumbents in the first place.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the subject.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'd be happy with a good race fit jersey that doesn't flap in the wind. But I do have some old jersey's like you describe that all things like extra water bottles to be carried and will straddle the seat Very handy. (idea shamelessly stollen from @trplay )

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Zippers would help as well. I have a Novara jersey with hole on the side back pockets and they zip up. Never lose anything as long as I zip them.

Zippers are a nightmare on the recumbent unless your the one in a million who can ride no hands. All to often I need one hand on the zipper tab and a second hand to pull away from the tab to get a zipper to open and close. I'm very against zippers on pockets you want to access on the fly.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Ask Jim and Maria if they have any 3000 miles to a cure Jersey's for sale. They had really nice front pockets with overlapping seams.
The original Cruzbike Jerseys had side pockets with zippers and they were large enough for a 5" smartphone.
Send Robert and email and see if they have any of those left.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'd like the orange and black of the CruzBike jersey because Orange is my favorite color. I was also considering reprinting the V in my own color scheme using orange and black to with a CruzBike jersey I'd actually match and look the part. It doesn't look that hard a job to sew on a few random pockets as show here. http://seamstresserin.com/turn-soccer-jersey-bike-jersey/
Maybe I'll experiment with my current CruzBike jersey and see on some plain black pockets in a few places to test out their effectiveness.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ive got a couple of these from Vite Racing http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/Vite-Racing-2013

Two zippered pockets on front belly area. Racing fit, very good looking, and superb quality. They even say Cruzbike on the front among others.

Can you post a picture of your jersey with the front pockets? I'm not surprised I'm not the first to think of front pockets. Are you able to easily zip the pockets with one hand of does it require a second hand to keep the material from following?

My Team Diablo Mtb group used Jackroo this year and the quality seemed nice even if a bit on the pricier side. Maybe we as a forum can show enough interest to group order some better CruzBike jerseys. Maybe one of us or someone at CruzBike would be willing to design and supply a usable image to send to Jackroo for production.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have one of those Vite Jersey's too. Love the zipper. Jersey is too slack now as I have lost weight but before I could open the zip with one hand. I have the credit cards / money sandwich in one pocket (credit card between money) and the phone in the other.

I tried it again tonight... the zippers on both pockets... perfect. Must have been a fumble last time. Once I am riding... I hardly ever go to my pockets... The heart rate pulse jabra Bluetooth headphones are great when they work (5th pair).

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I have one of those Vite Jersey's too. Love the zipper. Jersey is too slack now as I have lost weight but before I could open the zip with one hand. I have the credit cards / money sandwich in one pocket (credit card between money) and the phone in the other.

Exactly, unless it's a true skin tight fit you'll usually need that second hand which we don't have on a recumbent to open it. Recumbent problems :rolleyes:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
So CruzBike already has a jersey for sale on their site {snip}

Taking the idea of functionality a step further for the Team CruzBike racers, you would add a pocket in front to ether side of the zipper. Here you can store snakes you'd like to eat while riding. This would be hugely useful for me and others in the 12-24hr race where grabbing a snake in the pits and quickly shoving it into the front pocket to eat later on the lap without needing to spot would save us a ton of time. I already bought a small fanny pack I plan to use in the front so my team can just hand me a sandwich and bottles and I can eat it later down the long back straitaway.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the subject.
I like all of this except where you're eating snakes. :eek: I mean, tastes like chicken, sure...but I had no idea they maintained a snake pit for racers to quickly dip into, etc. Frankly, this is taking Paleo way too far for me. ;)

Ok, /humor.

Mt. Borah has been providing recumbent jerseys just like you've detailed for at least 10 yrs. I've got three of their standard jerseys. They will custom print anything...no minimum order. Another site to look at is http://www.benditcycling.com/Bent-Tops_c_56.html I've got two from there. Here's another: http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/recumbent-cycling-jerseys.html I haven't purchased a Cruzbike jersey...yet. I can't fit into an XL (and the sizes run small anyway).

Zippers would be great for me. I have no trouble dealing with them...and it would keep my reading glasses from hitting the tarmac so often (provided I am smart enough to put them there).

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Exactly, unless it's a true skin tight fit you'll usually need that second hand which we don't have on a recumbent to open it. Recumbent problems :rolleyes:
Unless you Jim - He's rides no hands easily. I can in a pinch. I think Ben told me he can ride no hands well enough to text on his phone, although that does not sound safe at all!

I have also done that fanny pack thing and just let it rest on my stomach. That is not too bad, but it does defeat the aerodynamics somewhat.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Can you post a picture of your jersey with the front pockets? I'm not surprised I'm not the first to think of front pockets. Are you able to easily zip the pockets with one hand of does it require a second hand to keep the material from following?

My Team Diablo Mtb group used Jackroo this year and the quality seemed nice even if a bit on the pricier side. Maybe we as a forum can show enough interest to group order some better CruzBike jerseys. Maybe one of us or someone at CruzBike would be willing to design and supply a usable image to send to Jackroo for production.

Sure...I'm able to do one handed unzip and re-zip. The pocket takes all of the black area below zipper and from side stitch to side stitch.

1.jpg

DavidCH

The Vite racing jersey has an interesting pattern on the back. If you sit upright on the Vendetta ... You instantly become the target.
image.jpeg

DavidCH

If the temperature dips down by another degree I will be going out for an evening ride, wearing that exact Jersey.

Maria Parker

Administrator
We ordered jerseys through Vite a few years ago (like the one I'm wearing in my profile picture) that had front zip pockets. The fit is fabulous, but I personally hate the front pockets and hate the zipper. Front pockets are very unflattering (yes I am vain) and the zippers are impossible.

The jerseys we are currently selling have much better side pockets than the previous jersey we sold, they are deep and hold even my very large phone without falling out, the only thing is the cut is very loose and not great for racing. We're going to keep trying to get the sizing and pockets right. Until then, I am wearing an xs of the latest jersey and stitch up the sleeves to keep them from flapping. Robert Holler, with his immense biceps, loves the looser fit.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so correction in regards to my original post here. Apparently my CruzBike jersey is a generation or two old and its agreed the pockets were useless. The current jerseys have much bigger useful pockets so I get my hand on the newer version and post a review here. Sorry if I made it sound like the current jerseys were no go. I'm still going to pursue my perfect 24hr snack time jersey setup as well.

PB&J sandwiches are rather popular in endurance races so I'm thinking the front pocket should be able to carry one sandwich to be snacked on over 1-2hrs. Normally I hate 3/4 length zipped jerseys because you have to pull them over your head which is a PITA if the pockets are heavy with stuff. Now I'm thinking if the jersey did have 3/4 length zipper it would leave me enough room to put a nice single pocket dead center and wide enough to accommodate a sandwich or better yet a slice of pizza :lol

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The 2nd generation Jerseys where the bend-it Cycling ones; those ran (S,M,L,XL). Most likely if you ordered one in the last 6 months and you have the dark blue jersey; with a with left arm sleeve then you have one of those.

The current 3rd generation with a white right hand sleeve and the special "designed for joy" ones you see from in the retreat retreat photos are a different make, they have a club cut, but are size shifted. Example: the new extra-small is really small by normal measures.

It does my Ego good to pull on a "Small" Jersey and have it fit loosely; I think I could squeeze into an XS for race day :) Keep that in mind if you are ordering one; order a size smaller than you would normally or have the past. Men's medium t-shirt wearer would be ordering a small instead.

Since these are club fit they do look great (by bike-kit standards) when standing around off the bike . Sadly with Race-fit nobody really looks good in when they are off the bike; but that's a pretty small group that needs those.

For race day you almost have to down size; I think for the September event we are going to I'll be wearing a new "S" and pluckyblond will wear the retreat XS and we both could use/benefit from a size smaller or a race cut (event is a TT). I would need to do a lot of pushups and arm curls to get club cut to not flap in the wind; in the region between the chest and shoulder. Might be time to get out the needle and thread. (We could just get plain race jerseys but it's nice to fly the flag if we can)

For the majority of the customer base the new jersey's are the correct cut; the size labeling is just off and mildly off from expectations.

For reference here are the 4 jersey's I'm aware of with CB Branding.

IMG_5668.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
A subtle Vite jersey extra is they include a banned by UCI label inside the collar like the one below: Cruzbike should consider doing the same.

disapproved1.jpg