Cruzbiking vendetta on kickr long term

jond

Zen MBB Master
so I moved house away from my beloved cycling track that spoilt me for scenic safe fast cruzwork
Hence my absence from forum as I delivered said house in a condition fit for and to my lovely princess wife Lynette

Enter the cave for six months on the kickr and rubbish internet. Bring on TrainerRoad and fulgaz apps.

How has it compared to the real thing. Hmmm

1. recognition of the value of trainers less time for approximately same fitness level has allowed time for cross training. Will test this in march via series of road rides. Hope I'm right. FTP now 280 v 285. 80kg

2. apps have alleviated boredom markedly but need film etc over three hours. Suddenly lord of the rings extended edition is interesting

3 skill level I noticed getting back out on the road required a little attenuation and respect of v despite 20 k logged plus. Wow was not expecting that. I think the more your individual bikes boom is more to the horizontal the harder it is to ride. Eg v2.2 was harder than v20 in large

But the skill level quickly returned.

4 lack of upper body involvement. This is likely the biggest negative and the kickr trainer just focuses legs therefore the cruzbike power pedal style is not practiced or exercised. Found just like changing bicycle platforms it takes two weeks to see similar metrics

5 fresh air. Despite air conditioning nil odour sprinkled profusely I can still smell stale tobacco from previous owners. Yup you can't beat the great outdoors for fresh air and views. Did I mention sweaty kickr mat.

6 now I realise I am blessed with Florida like climate and choose the cave mainly for safety and convenience and to experiment. The road in to my peninsula has part only sidings on a 60 mph zoning. And I know a lot of my brothers sisters have no choice but the trainer due to injury or seasonal weathers so please do not be offended. But really is the trainer good or bad for my mental health. I think the answer is both good and bad.

Good. appreciation of real ride time up. Intestinal fortitude up. Never rains in cave....well from the sky anyway

Bad. Thinking about all this.

So how have you found transitioning from trainer to road and back again. Have you or are you having a similar experience?

What do you employ to see the battle through. ?

And finally to the nutters out there what has been your longest time spent on said kickr. .?

Me 3.6 hours (lord rings return of the king).

Larry O. I reckon on double figures

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Have you given Zwift a try? I've found it has the best options. I'm hoping for some good Cruzbike/ group rides/races after Sebring

jond

Zen MBB Master
Have you given Zwift a try? I've found it has the best options. I'm hoping for some good Cruzbike/ group rides/races after Sebring
Yes tried it in my old house but you can't cache offline so require a good internet connection which sadly I don't have.

Zwift made me race. Personality disorder two bikes is a race anywhere right

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond, which pristine water port have you moved to, as it can NOT be Newcastle!!!

That riding track near your old home was VERY beautiful, from the Google earth photos, with very few road crossings, so a great outside training area!

Is there any secret outside velodromes that you could use?

Its good to see you back on the Cruzbike forum!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hi slim. Maybe a possible secret test facility in rural ring road but poor condition

Moved to port Stephens water front reserve. Lemon tree passage tidal but clean.

Learning to fish ate blue swimmer crabs for dinner last Saturday that we caught

Enjoying learning to use a surf ski too.

Changed jobs and house at same time. It is good to be in touch. A lot has been happening.

How is your riding going. Did you ever upgrade to two cruzbikes. .?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Since you are changing from a Land Lubber, to a water duck, would a recumbent inflatable catamaran, be a better option than an indoor trainer, AND you could fish from it as well!

http://www.shuttlebike.com/

http://www.chiliboats.com/en/produtos/catalogo/bikeboat-reclinado/

You would have to maintain the same BB height, handle bar location, and seat angle, so the on water training used the same muscles as you land based Vendetta riding!

After my accident in dec 2015, at only 25 kph, I smashed the bone below my right knee, so a full splint for 6 weeks, then home bound for 6 weeks, then light walking for 6 weeks, then a very wet winter!

I have just bought a Silvio V2.1 frame with S30 front and rear ends, and I am slowly building it up!
I still have my Softrider V1.0, Quest V1.0, and Silvio V1.0, but once I have the S30 operating, AND have a Silvio Boom on the Quest, I will sell the Quest.

ccooper

I have a surfski in storage that I would love to convert to a recumbent watercraft. I think it is very feasible, and will probably be faster on the water than any of the existing pedal boats that have been created.

I can't see any reason for a MBB, so I suppose I could chop up my Bacchetta frame and attach it to the carbon fiber shell of the surfski.

Chris

jond

Zen MBB Master
Chris google openwatercycling.com Or check out Pete heal facebook page Canberra Australia for some live action about a page down the timeline. Get along fast 14 klm/ hr. from memory.
And yes it is recumbent position.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond, I suggested a catamaran, as I didn't know what your balance would be like after so many hours on an indoor trainer!

Peter Heal's facebook, was interesting, and the kayak looks fast, and being very long(10 m?) would handle inlet waves well!

The Cadence kayak looks good, especially with the outrigger option!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yeah slim the balance on the v went backwards thus my original post

Surf ski involves a lot more than I thought

Would love a go at the cadence

Congratulations on your new bike. Ahhh the comfort.and speed.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I was a Surf Life Saver as a teenager, just a few years ago, and I could not balance on the old narrow surf skis, so I changed to Surf Boats instead!

The Cadence looks fantastic, but LONG!

I can't wait to ride the S30!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Get out there and ride slim. Just don't wear the budgie smugglers.

Back to original question

Does your upper body suffer loss from heavy use of the trainer. .?