Cycling is transport, isn't it?

Gromit

Guru
johntolhurst wrote:
Gromit wrote: Then get a pair of back packs and put the shoulder straps over the top tube, front and back of the seat. Now are carrying a pretty big load and the weight distribution of the bike is still around 50-50.

Sylvain
You'll need to edit the nesting of the quotes in your post. ;)
John Tolhurst wrote the bit about back packs. It should look like this!

johntolhurst wrote: Then get a pair of back packs and put the shoulder straps over the top tube, front and back of the seat. Now are carrying a pretty big load and the weight distribution of the bike is still around 50-50.

Gromit

Guru
Sylvain wrote:
JonB wrote: If you buy from a Cruzbike reseller i am sure you can get the reseller to mount the extra stuff you want.
Unfortunately, I can't even try a Cruzbike... :cry:
Sylvain
Maybe there is a way! ;) :)

If you buy a Sofrider or Freerider off the Cruzbike web site then they offer a buyback scheme if you really don't get on with your new machine.
Frequently Asked Questions wrote: Buying
Q) What if I buy one and I don't like it? Can I send it back?
A) Yes. You can rely on our "29-mile smile" guarantee, if you are familiar with the bike from riding it a couple of miles about every second day for a month. In the unlikely event that it does not suit you we will take it back. Keep in mind it's better to ride a few miles per day over the course of a few weeks versus riding a bunch of miles in a couple of days before making up your mind whether the bike will be suitable for you. Once you are familiar with it, we are sure you will love your Cruzbike.

Sylvain

Gromit wrote:
If you buy a Sofrider or Freerider off the Cruzbike web site then they offer a buyback scheme if you really don't get on with your new machine.
A) Yes. You can rely on our "29-mile smile" guarantee, if you are familiar with the bike from riding it a couple of miles about every second day for a month. In the unlikely event that it does not suit you we will take it back. Keep in mind it's better to ride a few miles per day over the course of a few weeks versus riding a bunch of miles in a couple of days before making up your mind whether the bike will be suitable for you. Once you are familiar with it, we are sure you will love your Cruzbike.
Does it work outside of the US?

Gromit

Guru
Gromit wrote:
Sylvain wrote: Does it work outside of the US?
Sylvain

I think that it does. You're in Montreal, Canada, aren't you?
Maybe someone from Cruzbike could confirm whether it applies to Canada? :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
johntolhurst wrote: We provide a lot of personal support. What bike are you asking about? Thanks.

John: I have a Freerider V2. Please share which specific 3rd party racks install without needing a metal shop?

If I recall correctly the instruction manual suggested most mountain bike racks would work. That has not been my experience. I did a lot of shopping around for a rack that could move independed of the seat post and found nothing that worked on the Freerider that didn't require engineering. I used Jon's method to support the rack. It's totaly functional but looks like a cludge. I would love something that looked cleaner/professional.

I totaly agree with Sylvain's point. Cruzbike isn't just a kit. You're manufacturing a great complete bike that is unique when it comes to racks. Cycling is transport and in this regard I believe you have a great opportunity here to better serve your customers. My $.02, -d

nomad85

I'm pretty sure (I don't have a cruzbike, but the rear end looks like any other rear suspension bike) any rear suspension compatible rack would work with a cruzbike. Look for an Old Man Mountain rack, they are well regarded. http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html

If you want something cheap for lighter loads any ol seatpost rack should do.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Let me restate the options. You see, the traditional style racks don't work on a suspension bike, be it a cruzbike or some other kind, like say, a mountain bike. Therefore you have to connect the rack to the main bike structure or to the swing arm. This situation is NOT unique to the sofrider and freerider and if any bike shop person tells you so, they are having you on. Don't put up with bike shop people who bully you into their opinions.

The options are

1) ATTACH TO THE MAIN FRAME
The STANDARD mountain bike solution here is to attach to the seat post. Your sofrider or freerider has a seat post, which is a standard diameter, and is at a standard angle. The diameter and angle were chosen so that you could use the style of rear rack that has been designed to attach to the seat post of a mountain bike. Google images on 'seat post rack' and there you are: http://www.google.com/images?q=seat+post+rack

Cruzbike Inc is simply unable to compete with the range, choice, availability or price of those options. If you are surprised by this, then there is probably a lot of surprising stuff for you to appreciate in the business world. We don't reinvent the wheel here, that is for other bike companies to do. So go pick the one you like and drop us line here if you are in doubt as to its suitability. Always ready to help.

2) ATTACH TO THE SWING ARM
This is a less widely used approach, but available and Gromit above in this thread noted it: http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RackGalleries/Pages/redRockRear_gallery.htm This is a variation of the JonB approach of adapting a traditional rack.

If those approaches don't suit you and you do not have the patience and application to work something out for yourself by tapping the support and ingenuity available to you in this group, but still expect satisfaction, then you are expecting more from this small company than we are able to give at this time.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
I think there is a combination that John did not mention. I remember having seen a rear rack which was both attached to the seat post and had legs that was mounted the the frame. Naturally it could flex in some hinges, but i didnt like it, because you couldnt guarantee that it was level as the suspension was working. Besides it could not carry as much as a real solid rear rack like the Tubus Locc (40 kilo) which is my next buy, unless i build something myself to get it EXACTLY right.

Besides Tubus official homepage, there is also http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/TUBUS%20HOME/TUBUS%20HOME%20PAGE.htm where they write:
Quote: WILL A TUBUS RACK FIT MY BIKE? There are a LOT of different bike designs. Some easily accommodate bike racks, and some are a challenge to fit. If you do not already have brazed-on fittings on your rear dropouts, seatstays, fork tips, or fork blades, please contact me and I can help you determine if racks will fit your bike. I have some adapters that may help you mount racks on bikes that do not have the proper fittings. I have a toll free 800 number listed in my contact information below.

So, you can get a rack, just not exactly the easy solution you hope for. But do buy a Cruzbike none the less, it is a great bike.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at both post and swing arm racks. Do all post racks have the same angle? All I eyeballed side by side at the store seemed to have the same angle. The one I actually put on my bike 1) touched the wheel when the shock was compressed by just sitting on the bike and 2) wasn't even level in the first place. At least from my efforts at about a half dozen shops in the Seattle area it appears that mountain bike post racks are engineered for a smaller rear wheel and a slightly different post angle. I also tried to fit the Axiom Odyssee full suspention rear rack. The manufactured Cruzbike's swing arm has a much flatter ange then a mountain bike and the Odyssee support arms don't quite reach it.

What specfic models of rear racks that actually fit a Freerider v2?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: I remember having seen a rear rack which was both attached to the seat post and had legs that was mounted the the frame. Naturally it could flex in some hinges, but i didnt like it, because you couldnt guarantee that it was level as the suspension was working.
I actually found the rear rack i was talking about, another light rear rack and one more sturdy.

Light rear rack
http://www.radversand.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/details/anid/mf347b04d153cd576.86517972/cnid/3cn47acdc7f65d0b8.39706186

Another light rear rack
http://www.bikemania.biz/Pletscher_Quick_Rack_Rear_Full_Suspension_MTB_s_p/pletscher_qrack.htm

A more sturdy one, 30 kilo cargo
http://www.bike-components.de/products/language/en/info/p8447_Athlete-Quick-Rack-System-Gepaecktraeger.html

admin

Administrator
Staff member
That last one looks like it would work perfect. I'll see if I can find one local. ( in English ;-)

Sylvain

Two other questions

1) Is it possible to put a bag onto the seat? Which brands?

2) Is the bottom (front?) bracket REALLY under the seat? It doesn't look so on photographs.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Re: Two other questions

Sylvain wrote: 1) Is it possible to put a bag onto the seat? Which brands?
There has been pictures of at least 2 kinds. 1 was a not too big which had a bottom up pocket which slid over the top of the seat and stayed on with that. The other was a shoulder type bag which was hanging just under the seat with the strop going between the seatpan and the frame in front, and through the black stuff at the back of the backrest, where the seatpost is attached to the backrest.

Sylvain wrote: 2) Is the bottom (front?) bracket REALLY under the seat? It doesn't look so on photographs.
The height of the bottom bracket depends on your seat installation and the length of your legs. The seat can be mounted in the front of the horizontal frame, or further behind.
Your leg reach can be extended with buffalo shoes, but i wont recommend it.

jimlake2

Quote: While i did put on my rear rack myself, you don't have to. Just print out my instructions and then let your bicyclerepairman mount a rear rack. Or, you can easily do it yourself.

Jon is right about the rear rack. I recently purchased a Softrider and having viewed a picture of his rear rack mount, I was able to mount a Delta Mega Rack Universal Rear Rack quite easily. Total cost of additional parts was less than $5 and the only additional tools required were a hacksaw and drill. It definitely took longer than it would have to mount the rack to a conventional diamond frame bike, but I believe the rack is now equally secure and stable. I will have no trouble mounting conventional panniers or a rack bag on my Softrider when necessary.

I think once you are committed to riding a Cruzbike you must of necessity be a bit more ingenious about accessorizing. In my limited experience, you can find answers and help for almost any question or problem either on these forums or the Yahoo group - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cruzbike/. Best wishes, Sylvain.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Re: Commitment?

Sylvain wrote: But why should I commit myself to ride a Cruzbike?
Because a Cruzbike is a great value for money because the price is so cheap compared to other recumbent bikes.