Different Gearing Needed for Climbing Hills any Suggestions?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I here ya with you being from Minnesota but some of the climbs weren't a cake walk for me and I wasn't alone.
Ah very respectable. Those are like the river valley I live in. Training and a 36qxl + 32 cassette should be enough on those really; it still hurts but that should do it.

The problem with road grades is you look at a video from a gun camera and go oh that's nothing, you look at ridewithgps and go oh ok it's only < 6% then you go there and see it and go shit that looks like 14%+.....

Last edited:

twhbent

Ah very respectable. Those are like the river valley I live in. Training and a 36qxl + 32 cassette should be enough on those really; it still hurts but that should do it.

The problem with road grades is you look at a video from a gun camera and go oh that's nothing, you look at ridewithgps and go oh ok it's only < 6% then you go there and see it and go shit that looks like 14%+.....

Well I'm on my way mechanically. Have ordered the Wolf 42t cog per Rick.
My next step is to switch back to the 50/34 chainring. Although I like to q-rings so I will probably go ahead and get the 36qxl per Ratz. How can u argue with the Master of mallets.
Most importantly more hill training and checking out the Zwift training program per Jason.
Isn't this fun!!!!!!!
Look out Tour de Wyoming and Ragbrai again.

Thanks CB Tribe.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well I'm on my way mechanically. Have ordered the Wolf 42t cog per Rick.
My next step is to switch back to the 50/34 chainring. Although I like to q-rings so I will probably go ahead and get the 36qxl per Ratz. How can u argue with the Master of mallets.
Most importantly more hill training and checking out the Zwift training program per Jason.
Isn't this fun!!!!!!!
Look out Tour de Wyoming and Ragbrai again.

Thanks CB Tribe.
FYI the 36 QXL small diameter is 33t. I find that climbs better than a 34t round. And as Jason note the regular Q 34 really isn't oval.