Drill Venting Holes in the Carbon Soles of you Shoes?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
During my last 200 mile ride I was thinking of ways to furth prevent hot foot. I've taken the necessary steps with clear shims and buying a shoe stretcher to give my foot more room to swell into but hot foot can still creep up on me during hard efforts in hot weather. My Giro shoes have a single built in vent hole in the sole in the forefoot area and in cold weather I can just barely feel the pierce of the cold air from the hole. So I'm thinking half a dozen 1/4 or even smaller holes drilled into the forefoot area of the sole could further increase cooling in hot weather. You'd have to drill the holes spaced out enough and carfully enough to not compromise the strength of the carbon sole. Compromising the sole is probably less an issue for the low end shoes that don't use carbon. In cold weather you ether use shoes cover like normal which would also cover the holes or a simple piece of tape to prevent the passage of air. My upcoming 24hr race starts at 6pm so I'd start with tape or shoe covers into the cold night and remove them the next morning to give my feet some fresh air and cooling.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
It is my belief that 'hot foot" is more of a "nerve" issue than you foot actually getting hot inside the shoes.
I can verify this as I got hot foot riding at night in Sebring in 2015 (when it was 30 degrees) . My feet where actually numb from the cold, but I still got hot foot. Getting out of the shoes and walking around for a few minutes relieved it.
I think the best thing you can do if try and figure out where the pressure point is that is causing it, and relieving it. Many riders just totally loosen up the straps or laces on the top of their shoes. Doesn't help you much if you are pulling back on the pedals though, so you loose that capability.
.. my 2 cents...
Larry

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
It is my belief that 'hot foot" is more of a "nerve" issue than you foot actually getting hot inside the shoes.
I can verify this as I got hot foot riding at night in Sebring in 2015 (when it was 30 degrees) . My feet where actually numb from the cold, but I still got hot foot. Getting out of the shoes and walking around for a few minutes relieved it.
I think the best thing you can do if try and figure out where the pressure point is that is causing it, and relieving it. Many riders just totally loosen up the straps or laces on the top of their shoes. Doesn't help you much if you are pulling back on the pedals though, so you loose that capability.
.. my 2 cents...
Larry
I believe Larry is right on. Sometimes you may even have pressure up the leg on a nerve (s) in your butt, back, or hip even. It's hard to find, from your foot to your back. Massage and stretching may help too. I've heard riders pouring cold water on their feet. I rarely get it, but When I do, I do what Larry mentioned, stopping and standing up on it. Sometime I unclip and drop my leg down, shake it a little.

It may also simply be lack of circulation, and the foot starts to go numb.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The odd thing about my hot foot is it flares up when I'm not pedaling. Example would be on a long DH while coasting or at a stop light with one foot clipped in. Pouring cold water on my feet instantly relieves the heat for up to an hour.

Like I said I've taken many steps over this year to solve the nerve issues of the problem but I feel I'm still missing something. The proper solution would be a damn shoe that isn't based off something a ballerina would wear which is why I purchased the shoes stretcher. It's too bad the cycling industry hasn't caught up with the trail running industry in the comfort department.

Before a bunch of you start commenting on you favorite shoe, unless they are locally stocked or have a trial program I don't have the money to buy anymore shoes to find out 12hr later they are no better or cause issues in other areas.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Stopping and walking around isn't an option in my case. We're talking about stopping the issue before it ever starts because you don't have time for a leisurely stroll in the middle of a 24hr race. I so wish I could take the bike to a fitter and get measured.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have read somewhere , where an adidas footballer's shoe was treated with carbon fiber and the cleats then can be moved further aft. Laces might support the foot well and sticking a few holes here and there isn't going to hurt the bank. I often find crunching the toes helps with the circulation.

When I said football shoe I meant soccer shoe.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Often a metatarsal pad will help, but only if placed correctly. Not always, but often. They've been a big help to me but still have some pain after 40-45 miles non-stop, so still some work to do. (This, compared to a lot of pain before the pads at less than 10 miles)
A visit to a podiatrist who has significant interest in sports-related issues is also a good idea. Many don't have any expertise in sports medicine so find one who does. I plan to in the near future.
Like Larry says, 'hot foot' is rarely due to overheating but to nerve issues, often a Morton's neuroma. Or due to idiopathic metatarsalgia, which means, pain in the metatarsal heads (the ball of your foot). The 'idiopathic' part means 'us idiots don't yet understand the pathology causing the pain' ;)
But a metatarsal pad or the proper orthotic can help.
I recall a post by Ivan talking about this, will try to find it.
Also, don't let anyone talk you into a surgical procedure for a Morton's neuroma unless it is utterly debilitating even off the bike.
YMMV

BJ686

The odd thing about my hot foot is it flares up when I'm not pedaling. Example would be on a long DH while coasting or at a stop light with one foot clipped in.

yeah, this happens to me too. Best I can figure for me, is that pressure on the metatarsal area causes the hot foot, and this occurs even when your feet are resting on the pedals. I find that anything I can do to relieve pressure on this area helps, such as spinning without mashing, holding my foot up when coasting and wiggling toes, and walking around. As you noted though, taking breaks and just spinning the pedals without mashing may not be realistic in a race.

One idea I have heard from others (but have not tried), is to get add additional shoe sole (or even just a metatarsal foot pad) and then cut a hole around the metatarsal nerve area so that this area gets no pressure while you are pedaling (ie, all pressure goes to other, less sensitive, parts of the foot). Kind of like a person who has a "donut seat" to relieve tailbone pain when sitting.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I am going to plead computer illiteracy yet again. I found Ivan's posts on the issue but don't know how to post a link. If someone would explain to me how to do that i would be in his or her debt
Meanwhile, just type in 'metatarsalgia' in the forum search thingy and specify posted by 'Ivan'. It will come right up.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Oh yeah - one more thing Jason - If you do drill those holes - please make sure your feet are out of the shoes first! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
Sorry I just could not help myself (been sawing tile for the last hour, so I'm a bit punchy! o_O

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Matching holes drilled in the insole for direct atmospheric to foot injection. I don't get hot foot on my short lunch rides but I'll only do one shoe and ride it tomorrow for an on the bike comparison. Sadly the comparison will be on my DF bike so the holes won't be pointed straight forward like on the V. For you wet weather riders this is all obviously a bad idea for you.
0971A0AC-FBD4-4AD4-AEB6-E0D995121311_zpskb5soztk.jpg

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I agree with Larry.
This just means that I agree with Larry and does not mean that I think that anyone else is wrong.

In my experience, motorcycles with small-diameter footpegs were worse than bikes with large
diameter footpegs.
Footboards are the best for comfort and miserable for sporting use.

More to the point and more recently, rat-trap and toe-clip pedals were hurting me more the older I got.
-That's all I ride: no fancy clip-in tech. for me!-
Now I pedal on wooden platforms secured to lightweight rattraps fitted with Power Straps.
No pain or hotfoot.

My point is that spreading the load over the soles of my feet works.
How you go about doing that for modern racing pedal technology is ... your problem.
My guess is that your ultra-stiff carbon soles are not working with your feet, for whatever reason.

DavidCH

I tried SPD for a while but it was painful as the pressure is put on a small part of the foot, it was important for me to either go with Speedplay or Look as the load gets spread better.

Love the carbon soles. Wouldn't go back to the others

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
When a someone who works on a lot of ladders buys boots they look for a pair that has a steel or similarly stiff plate through the sole of the shoe to distribute the load of the narrow step over the whole foot. Ultra stiff cycling shoes are doing the same thing so with a carbon sole you don't feel like your stepping on an acorn when spelling pressure to your SPDs. When I first got back into MTBing I was using an old pair of $80 cycling shoes with SPD pedals on my SS Mtb. On a SS you have to apply a ton of force to get up the steeper climbs and I could feel the tiny pedal through the plastic soles. Once I switch to some full carbon soled shoes I couldn't feel the pedal and it felt like I was applying pressure with my whole foot.

I tend to apply more pressure via the outside of my foot due to a common tip in my forefoot but that is currently being addressed with the yellow cleat shims in the above picture.

LMT

I thought hot foot was caused by shoes that are too tight fitting? The best remedy I've experienced is sitting down, taking your shoes off and giving your feet a good massage, it will hurt but put your shoes back on slackening off how tight they are and away you go.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I was getting hot foot and found that the sole in the Specialized shoes has a hump that is supposed to spread out the metatarsals, but it just causes hot foot on long rides from the uneven pressure. Then, after changing soles, the three cleat screws in each shoe were poking my feet, so I had to put in shorter screws. Then I moved my cleats toward the heels as far as possible, which helped. Then I put a soft sole on top of the other sole for comfort. I stand up whenever I have to come to a full stop, which allows some circulation in the feet. And I like my shoes loose. All changes together: no more hot foot.

DavidCH

I dug the manual out from the internet for my shimano sh-r260. Apparently if you can find the right dealer , you can put them in the oven and then put them on your feet and with the shimano vacuum pump they mould to your feet. I kid you not. There is even a graphic here that shows how efficient the process is in having a properly fitted shoe it is supposed to dramatically improve how your foot feels in temperature and support. So now I guess I will have to go to Madrid!
image.jpeg