Emmitt Smith Grand Fondo Century on 9/17/2016 - Results

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Hey Larry I don't know if you had a rear camera for this race but I know you have for others in the past. Have you ever done a PIP like this with a rear view setup like an actual rear view mirror in a car? This is one of several videos I added the rear view back when I was tracking my daily commuter. You can watch the beginning but I suggest skipping to 11 mins to watch it from where the action really starts with lots of passing. It would give a better idea of where you are in the pack as well as how some of the riders respond after you pass them. You get consumed after each corner so it'd be cool to see how the riders are attacking before the shoot around you and such.

Whoa! That was hazardous! Those racers went around corners a lot faster. We're going to have to get you out doing crit races. Working you hard up the inclines and making you ride your brakes down is what I've experienced riding behind groups. That wasn't the most efficient form for a recumbent. When the official truck and service van went around you and the group at about mile 25, I think that's when you lost the lead group. After that you were behind the chase group. Impressive how much you could still put out after cramping up, and without water. I really hope it wasn't as hazardous as the 4x video appears.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hey Larry I don't know if you had a rear camera for this race but I know you have for others in the past. Have you ever done a PIP like this with a rear view setup like an actual rear view mirror in a car? This is one of several videos I added the rear view back when I was tracking my daily commuter. You can watch the beginning but I suggest skipping to 11 mins to watch it from where the action really starts with lots of passing. It would give a better idea of where you are in the pack as well as how some of the riders respond after you pass them. You get consumed after each corner so it'd be cool to see how the riders are attacking before the shoot around you and such.

Jason what was the engine capacity of the big bikes, and what was their lap times compared to the 250 that out performed by a large margin under braking, and also cornering!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jason what was the engine capacity of the big bikes, and what was their lap times compared to the 250 that out performed by a large margin under braking, and also cornering!

Big bikes in this video range from 600-1000cc so 120-180hp vs my 25hp. I not braking later or cornering faster because I'm on a small 250 though. What you're seeing is just the difference in skill between club racers and weekend warriors vs an actual Professional racer. I was doing 1:50 lap times and with the faster riders doing around 1:46-1:52 lap times. I jumped on someone's random 600cc bike later in the day and in 5 laps did a 1:36 and called it a day. The guy in the video with mirrors that is buzzing around me the most is one of the clubs instructors having a good time riding with me and watching the spectacle. The yellow bike that eventually passes me and drops us is my old 1000cc race bike.

But let's stay on topic and not hijack Larry's thread.

I just don't recal any cycling videos using PIP front and rear view like this.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I just don't recal any cycling videos using PIP front and rear view like this.
There are a few I made but that's a better position than in the corner were I usually put it, I like the idea of using them in a crowd and then analyzing what people are doing afterwards. Definitely something I'll borrow.

Suz

Larry, this is amazing. I haven't been on the forum in awhile so just started reading this post today. My heart rate was increasing and I could hardly scroll fast enough through the posts following the progress of your race.

NICE WORK! Unfortunately lunch is over and I will have to watch the videos tonight!

LarryOz

If anyone has time, here is the entire Emmitt Smith Century in regular time: 4:16.
Nice to look at when your on a trainer and need something to watch. Enjoy.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I watched all of the speed up film. It was extremely interesting. Personally the thought of all those mediocre peloton riders scare me completely. I think my heart rate would go up to 150bpm without even starting. I can't believe seeing you Larry getting back on the bike after such a cramp. Which muscle set cramped up? Did you take anything for it there and then like a salt tablet ? Unbelievable. After 52 miles the peloton got destroyed by the fast riders. Some of them were putting down 700+ watts. Pretty difficult for the peloton to deal with that. And they worked together, I hope they shared the payout. The only way to compete with them is by playing their own tactics... Get out in front with a pace line. Bit difficult if you are the only Vendetta there. You did brilliantly. Stop signs and lights are a pain, guess the lead group had a support vehicle and just went straight across those junctions?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Stop signs and lights are a pain, guess the lead group had a support vehicle and just went straight across those junctions?

Could you imagine the complaints if you got 4-5 V20's racing and got off the front; only the lead group gets passage the traffic lights. If you got lucky and could get away; that would present a challenge to even the Semi-Pro guys... Until the next year when they made the rules fair and declared the two leading groups would get traffic control support.... :confused:

LarryOz

Could you imagine the complaints if you got 4-5 V20's racing and got off the front; only the lead group gets passage the traffic lights. If you got lucky and could get away; that would present a challenge to even the Semi-Pro guys... Until the next year when they made the rules fair and declared the two leading groups would get traffic control support.... :confused:
From what I could tell, I think they also gave support to the chase group.

Cruzbike Chris

Figured I better get this posted now for Larry. Time to get training, discount signup coming next week!

Begin forwarded message:From: Race Director <RaceDirector@ejsmithenterprises.com>
Date: November 16, 2016 at 1:01:45 PM CST
To: Race Director <RaceDirector@ejsmithenterprises.com>
Subject: 2017 Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo- Special Early Bird Pricing

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo! Through the ESGF Active App survey, you indicated that you would like to be notified about 2017 registration. We are excited to announce that registration for the 2017 Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo will open with special early bird pricing on Black Friday, November 25th!

Act fast, because early bird pricing will run from November 25th through December 9th! Please click here on November 25th to register.

The first 100 registrants will receive an Emmitt Smith bobble head!

Route
Early Bird
*Valid from 11/25-12/9

100-mile*
$50
100-mile Tandem*
$35
$45
100k Tandem
$25
45-mile
$45
45-mile Tandem
$20
22-mile
$15
22-mile Tandem
$10
Family Route
*Children must be at least 4 years old to participate
$5
Virtual Participant
$22
We hope to see you on September 30, 2017,
Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo Team

cid:image001.png@01D24009.8E4E1190

LarryOz

This really looks like a great race for our fast guys to target as a team race. How about it? You can't beat the $50 entry fee!
Yes - good plan - I'm in - I would love to get a team like Jason, Jim, Kevin, and me. We are not really limited by a team size either - maybe we can coaz Ratz down there too!
With a team like that we should be able to do sub 3:45