EnLIGHTen me

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I'm contemplating at least one-way trips to work on my Sofrider while I slowly whip myself back into shape. This would necessitate lights. I have an ancient NiteRider setup that was pretty top of the line back in the day, but old school, now. I always kind of favored the helmet mount, as it let me see where I was looking.

I did a quick search on here, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I realize everything has gone to LEDs and the battery technology has improved drastically. So, what is the hot ticket these days? I'm not too concerned with blinding drivers, because I can just look away to effectively "dim" my light. I ride some pretty rough, potholed streets, so I would rather light them up.

For now, I'd like to stick to helmet mount.

Thanks for your tips.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Oh... Maybe this applies.

Is there anybody that retrofits old NiteRider housings?

Thanks again!

Mark

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Oh... Maybe this applies.

Is there anybody that retrofits old NiteRider housings?

Thanks again!

Mark

Not worth the hassle.

If your road truly have pot hole to be dodged you may what to consider mounting your light much lower than your head(line of sight). The reason is because when the light is set at your light of sight you will never see any shadows. Without those minor shadows or slight variances in shades your eyes loose their ability to register texture or depth. When we mtb at night and are hitting some of that super crazy rock stuff most people wouldn't ride during the day we beef up the handle light and drop the power of the helmet light to bring out the shadows and make the rocks and holes pop out at you. Right now this is the go to light I suggest for all riders both road and mt. https://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/bike/products/2016-gemini-duo-light-set

You can mount this way up front and down low by the crankset and then have the remote button on the handlebars to ease of use.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason, you are absolutely right about the helmet mounted light, as I tried it walking inside the very unevean lava tubes in Lassen Volcanic NP, and quickly moved it to waist height, to see the shadows, and the helmet saved my head a few times!

The bright handle bar height light, with a very oval shaped light pattern, so you don't blind car drivers, and a weaker spot light on the helmet, to see around corners, is as Jason said the best option

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jason, you are absolutely right about the helmet mounted light, as I tried it walking inside the very unevean lava tubes in Lassen Volcanic NP, and quickly moved it to waist height, to see the shadows, and the helmet saved my head a few times!

The bright handle bar height light, with a very oval shaped light pattern, so you don't blind car drivers, and a weaker spot light on the helmet, to see around corners, is as Jason said the best option

You be surprised just how few people believe me about the shadows and light position importance even in the mtb world. It like people have been brainwashed for so long that they just can't see the light(pun intended). To be fair it's still kind of tricky finding a proper wide beam light for the bars that'll shine into corners and lessen the need for a helmet light but they do exist. My gloworm XS handlebar light has so much power and width that in my last 24hr mtb race I only ran my helmet light at 10% power the whole light on only one 2 cell battery pack just for safety. I figured I wanted that safety net of light up top just in case my handlebar light died or glitched out on me I wouldn't slam into a tree at 40mph out on some backwoods single track descent. I really couldn't believe just how well I could see through the corners of a twisty mtb course with just the handlebar light.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Get them to WALK across a large root covered track, or walk down uneven steps, with a helmet light only, and after a few trips, they will quickly change!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I agree. On both my bikes my lights are close to the B bracket. Lower than the bars. Low lights are less likely to blind oncoming people. I hate it when they do that to me.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Very low position is a definite case of a "too much of a good thing", because you'll have to line them up very fine to avoid binding drivers AND have light spot of decent length.
But that mostly applies to extremes like wheel axle mounting.
Still, a light with a sharp cutoff (there are more and more of those lights avalable, includig very cheap yet decent like chinese Machfally and Meilan) mounted somewhere on the forks and leveled nearly parallel to the ground would serve nearly as well as modern car low lights.