Explaining Learning to ride a recumbent to a world class DF rider who has doubts

BikeGary

Thanks, the current plan is to give it a full 9 months. Then we'll see. I suspect that at best my commute times won't decrease more than 10% due to the nature of the route. Too many stop lights at the bottom of the hills to fully take advantage of the reduced wind resistance. While I have a long grind hill climb in the other direction (roughly 12 miles in a generally uphill direction) if I can keep it to no more than 10% increase in time I will call it good.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Diffidently not. I'm an extremely attentive driver and rider so I see things happening in front of me well before they happen so I take precautions to avoid running head first into anything, that more then I can say for 90% of all people on a bike or in car. My only worry is getting read ended by the car tailgating the car about to pass me because they can't see me till the last second.

Jason that is a shared fear. Texting cagers frighten the heck out of me.

But I think the vendetta is safer. Feet first head up feels relatively safer to me and a preferable crash position if there is such a thing. . This position allows quality mirrors in easy safe field of vision and I’ve added rear radar. Missed vehicle passes now are reduced and I’ve taken to acknowledging driver passes fifty metres plus out with a horizontal arm wave. Seems to give me increased space. Of course there are exceptions but at least I have knowledge that I’m going to be squeezed and may have options. The df position is less convivial and looking over your shoulder is a pain in the neck plus eyes off road ahead. Small difference for younger person at peak but for older guys the bent position has its advantages in terms of safety I believe.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, the current plan is to give it a full 9 months. Then we'll see. I suspect that at best my commute times won't decrease more than 10% due to the nature of the route. Too many stop lights at the bottom of the hills to fully take advantage of the reduced wind resistance. While I have a long grind hill climb in the other direction (roughly 12 miles in a generally uphill direction) if I can keep it to no more than 10% increase in time I will call it good.

Yeah increased bike weight is a factor inhibiting accelerating and climbing. There are so many benefits of the platform apart from less wind resistance and higher speeds.

You’ll unlock them soon. Enjoy the super fun learning.

But your climbing will improve for sure as the legs kick in

BikeGary

On Safety, I added a flag with a rear red light attached to the pole. It gives me more visibility for the car behind the car on my butt. I put up photos over on the thread about flags.

I also seem to get a little more room on the road than I do on my DF bike. It may be because drivers associate flags on bikes with disabled riders... or it could be that I'm not holding as straight a line as I do on my DF, but in any case I don't feel any less safe on the road from cars.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Analogy time

If you told someone who thinks all alcohol tastes like paint thinner that all they need to do is acquire the taste over time. Then tell them to focus on only drinking one type of hard liquor for 3 weeks strait then move only other alcohols little by little and eventually you'll enjoy it after awhile. Do you think this person would both drinking alcohol when water or the occasional soda taste fine right now?

Now you know why I don't drink and why I don't bother joining everyone else in doing so.[/QUOTE

Any progress with your mate trying something different Jason.? tell him a bikaholic drinks anything lol

The only people wanting to ride my bike are kids up to fourteen. They sit on it but can’t reach pedals One adult purchased an encore is my only “success “ ahem.