Falling over

when I slow down at a yield sign, I often fall over.
My falls were in the first month or so, almost always to the right side and with low speed (including the two gravel slips.) Most falls were on hill climbs when "I think I can" becomes "nope!" I try to blame a Street Troller.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm running a std. compact double (34/50?) up front and a SRAM 11sp 11-36 in the rear. Yesterday, I simply ran out of gas...I made the intermediate crest, it gets less steep after that...but I simply haven't been training long enough to sustain the wattage necessary for that last 200yds. I was panting like a dog...got off and had to unclip my helmet strap (I had forgotten my HR monitor...but I'm sure I maxed out). I walked to the crest, hopped on and made the descent on the other side. About 30mph, my helmet flew off. Once I realized what had happened, I stopped, pulled over and a green-suiter in a truck behind me shouted, "I got it!". The US Army delivered my dear departed helmet with a smile and a 'Have a nice day, Sir!"

If HR is your limiter, You should switch your little ring to a Rotor QXL-36T ring ... IF that doesn't solve you popping sooner than you like going up hill I'll buy it from you no questions asked and put it i the parts bin for RAAM next year; I'm going to need 5 of them anyways..

On a different note some of this stuff is mental. I always do better if I plan to "make it 50 yards beyond the crest" if I know the route and can visualized it. Tell my self "if my HR blows up" I'll puke 50 yards pas the crest and catch my breath. That way if I have to start negotiating with myself. I got 50 yards to concede before I don't make the crest.

Girlie men like me need a plan; I just am not a good sufferer.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah. I typically try to keep my HR to below 160 (161 is my 'calculated' limit but my cardiologist ran me up well north of that on the treadmill a few years ago...he said, "Mr. Smith, you are FAT. Your heart is not your limiting factor, your weight is." (I paid no attention to him then...) I get to see him again next year and I doubt he believes what he sees from the scales!

I do understand the mental bit...and I do use such stuff on myself. I'm just hitting my limit too early yet. I can tell when I've run out of oxygen and I'm not ready to push those boundaries just yet. Give me another 6 months or so and I'll feel much more comfy at the upper limits. 50 yrds, I could push thru...200yds is too much for now.

I'm running the standard Rotor Q-rings at the moment...and I don't feel I've even touched a 10th of what they can do (or what I can do with them?). Again, simply not enough time on them. I've got less than 200mi on the whole bike, hardly got the feel of it yet. I'm not ready to give up on the std. Q-rings...yet. Heck, for all I know I may have them clocked wrong for me and my current abilities.

Of course, now I've got a goal: Make it over that #*$&ing hill. Both directions. One day, I'll do it one way and then turn around at the bottom and do it the other...just going to take some work on my part to get there.

Oh yeah, and I'll probably be hitting that hill every Saturday I can. It is an Army base, and the hospital is just over the crest of the hill. If I blow a gasket, at least I'm not far from help! :)

ratz

I'm running the standard Rotor Q-rings at the moment...and I don't feel I've even touched a 10th of what they can do (or what I can do with them?). Again, simply not enough time on them. I've got less than 200mi on the whole bike, hardly got the feel of it yet. I'm not ready to give up on the std. Q-rings...yet. Heck, for all I know I may have them clocked wrong for me and my current abilities.

If HR is the limiter and you are strong because you are big; then yes you might have them clocked wrong. When you go high RPM you are get power less from strength and more from Cardio; aka HR goes up. So clocking to an OCP of 1 will et you pedal more on muscular endurance and less on cardio endurance. This is why when it gets really hot out lower RPM riding seems easier

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I don't like hitting a steep hill with a full bottle. Try and hit the hill with a half bottle. If you have a giro air attack helmet put the visor up before you hit the hill. I absolutely hate the boiling over feeling that a long hill can give you. I was doing a long hill climb with a heavy bike early this year. It was a steel bike. My brother likes to compare like for like. So we have the same steel heavy bike and plain pedals. And by the top of this 25km climb of mashing the pedals I was just completely out of gas and sweat was pouring off me.

A lot of my issues is associated with dehydration and heat. The more dehydrated you become the harder it is to keep the power on. So for those big hills have a game plan.

Clipless pedals are much more efficient for your legs and knees so it's good that you are using them.

The temperature outside was about 34c that day so that's another factor to consider. If it's too hot try the climb earlier in the day.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
If HR is the limiter and you are strong because you are big; then yes you might have them clocked wrong. When you go high RPM you are get power less from strength and more from Cardio; aka HR goes up. So clocking to an OCP of 1 will et you pedal more on muscular endurance and less on cardio endurance. This is why when it gets really hot out lower RPM riding seems easier
Oh crap...now I'm going to change something critical just before a major ride. :eek:

Just as well, if I didn't change anything there would be a disruption in the farce...:D

I have a 50/34 with 11/32 in the rear. I have been having trouble climbing a 10% hill since I increased my pedal distance from 42 to 43. Also I have a tough time knowing when I am in my lowest gear on a climb like that. I had it down pretty good with my Shimano shifters but SRAM is tough for me. Practise and more practise I guess that is the answer. I will try putting my pedal length back to 42. My x-seam length is 43and1/2 inches. At this length I was able to climb that 10% grade.

ratz

I have a 50/34 with 11/32 in the rear. I have been having trouble climbing a 10% hill since I increased my pedal distance from 42 to 43. Also I have a tough time knowing when I am in my lowest gear on a climb like that. I had it down pretty good with my Shimano shifters but SRAM is tough for me. Practise and more practise I guess that is the answer. I will try putting my pedal length back to 42. My x-seam length is 43and1/2 inches. At this length I was able to climb that 10% grade.

10% is a tough grade in 34x32. Alot of people would need 34x36 to climb that. If you are tipping over going up a 10% that would not make you abnormal at your current mileage. You would be a strong candidate for that qring qxl 36 which is effectively variable from 38x33... that would give you a little more HR on the top end to hang on to the finish and it would help you pedal circles which always makes it easier to clip out.

Is that 10% a rare beast or a common one in your area? are they long? If it's common and long, I'd be looking for a way to get a 11x36T working

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Go tubeless... Gives you more time to react. I haven't had a puncture since I changed
Any other advice for avoiding a crash after a flat besides "don't have a flat" I seem to be improving on the vendetta but I was shocked at how fast I lost control on straight flat road after a quick deflation

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Any other advice for avoiding a crash after a flat besides "don't have a flat" I seem to be improving on the vendetta but I was shocked at how fast I lost control on straight flat road after a quick deflation
I have a carbon clincher deep rim which isn't tubeless. It's beautifully made, I ride this with sealant in the inner tube. Even if it gives you a second or two before it deflates can be enough for a safe recovery.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/deep-rims.10917/

Observations after 5 months of riding my Silvio. I am riding better but still don't feel one with the bike. Having the x seam length at 42 inches seems to give me more power and I can definitely spin faster than at 43 inches. I noted a lower heart rate and it was easier to maintain my average speed. Things I don't like about the Silvio. Seems like I swallow a lot more bugs and other debris in the recumbent position. The wind causes my eyes to water unless I wear my fit over sunglasses. It is difficult for me to pull a water bottle out and drink. I think that may come down to technique. There are places that I have to stop completely to make sure traffic isn't coming. The headrest never seems comfortable. I do like it for speed and comfort. No more crotch pain and neck pain is improved. Things that I want to change. 1.) Add Q rings or oval rings, 2.) Possibly add an 11/36 cassette 3.) A mirror on the right side. 4.) Add a visor to my helmet 5.) New carbon aero wheels. Flo seem nice and I could just add the wheel with cassette to the front. 6)Experiment with pedals. Things that I need to improve 1) Slow speed handling 2) fetching a water bottle and drinking. I have given up on the ones behind my head and have added a boom water bottle holder. This seems easier but still challenging. 3) speed My top speed on a diamond frame still seems faster than on the Silvio.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I am riding better but still don't feel one with the bike.
That took me a while, too. It started as moments of Just Riding A Bike instead of the constant nervous commentary inside my head. Gradually those moments grew longer and more frequent. Now, the only time I think much about it is when I'm riding one-handed. Even that's becoming more natural. I remind myself that I had to get used to riding one-handed on my road bike as well.

It is difficult for me to pull a water bottle out and drink.
Putting a bottle cage on the boom helped some with that. So did riding for a couple of hours on nearby rail-trail during an off-peak time. I made a point to practice pulling the bottle and drinking several times on each long, gradual uphill. It's not completely automatic, but getting there.

1.) Add Q rings or oval rings
Very pleased with mine, once I got them adjusted.

2.) Possibly add an 11/36 cassette
I have a 12-36 10-speed cassette. Kind of wish I'd gone with 11-36.

3.) A mirror on the right side.
Never had one on my tadpole trikes. It's been more helpful on the Silvio than I would have expected.

My top speed on a diamond frame still seems faster than on the Silvio.
It took me close to 1,000 miles, I guess, to get comfortable pushing hard on the flats. I'm finally turning in times on the Silvio 1.5 that exceed my road bike speeds of 10 or 11 years ago (not that I was ever fast, mind you). And that's with a 45-degree seat angle. I'm curious to see how I'd do on the 33-degree Silvio with no front suspension.

ratz

Observations after 5 months of riding my Silvio. I am riding better but still don't feel one with the bike. Having the x seam length at 42 inches seems to give me more power and I can definitely spin faster than at 43 inches. I noted a lower heart rate and it was easier to maintain my average speed. Things I don't like about the Silvio. Seems like I swallow a lot more bugs and other debris in the recumbent position. The wind causes my eyes to water unless I wear my fit over sunglasses. It is difficult for me to pull a water bottle out and drink. I think that may come down to technique. There are places that I have to stop completely to make sure traffic isn't coming. The headrest never seems comfortable. I do like it for speed and comfort. No more crotch pain and neck pain is improved. Things that I want to change. 1.) Add Q rings or oval rings, 2.) Possibly add an 11/36 cassette 3.) A mirror on the right side. 4.) Add a visor to my helmet 5.) New carbon aero wheels. Flo seem nice and I could just add the wheel with cassette to the front. 6)Experiment with pedals. Things that I need to improve 1) Slow speed handling 2) fetching a water bottle and drinking. I have given up on the ones behind my head and have added a boom water bottle holder. This seems easier but still challenging. 3) speed My top speed on a diamond frame still seems faster than on the Silvio.

Winner of the most healthy post of the year. With your eye on the ball like that you will go far and fast just might take awhile to arrive. PluckyBlond is doing here first race this weekend and that is the end of year three everyone's curve is unique

Winner of the most healthy post of the year. With your eye on the ball like that you will go far and fast just might take awhile to arrive. PluckyBlond is doing here first race this weekend and that is the end of year three everyone's curve is unique
Thanks for the encouragement. I would like to do a 90 mile race next August on my Silvio. It is mostly flat on the first half with some climbing on the second half. One serious hill of 8 to 10%. It would be nice to do it in less than 4 hours. Preferably 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Yah. I typically try to keep my HR to below 160 (161 is my 'calculated' limit but my cardiologist ran me up well north of that on the treadmill a few years ago...he said, "Mr. Smith, you are FAT. Your heart is not your limiting factor, your weight is." (I paid no attention to him then...) I get to see him again next year and I doubt he believes what he sees from the scales!

I do understand the mental bit...and I do use such stuff on myself. I'm just hitting my limit too early yet. I can tell when I've run out of oxygen and I'm not ready to push those boundaries just yet. Give me another 6 months or so and I'll feel much more comfy at the upper limits. 50 yrds, I could push thru...200yds is too much for now.

Of course, now I've got a goal: Make it over that #*$&ing hill. Both directions. One day, I'll do it one way and then turn around at the bottom and do it the other...just going to take some work on my part to get there.

Oh yeah, and I'll probably be hitting that hill every Saturday I can. It is an Army base, and the hospital is just over the crest of the hill. If I blow a gasket, at least I'm not far from help! :)
My advice, climb to make it to the top. If it's a long hill slow up and keep your heart rate to a point so you complete the climb. If you can go all out without blowing up, by all means hit it hard and fast. Gearing down to a lower gear to keep your heart at a point to where you won't blow it. If you can't gear down any further and you aren't making to the top; train more, or get lower gearing. I'd be in a lotta trouble on many climbs if I didn't have my trusty 42 toothed get out of jail free gear. When I'm fit, I use it much less than when I'm not fit.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am limited by breathlessness. I discovered this 12 years ago on my Grasshopper. I could go really fast, but then had to really slow down. I had to learn not to go as fast as possible, but to get the speed just right, so my HR goes up just a bit but not too much. This applies to both my recumbent bikes. I do not remember noticing it on my DF steel racer-tourer.

I also seem to get hotter on a bent than on a DF. I go out of the house in January and think "Blimey it's cold, I should have worn more clothes". Five minutes later I am sweating. Are the breathlessness and the heat connected?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
My advice, climb to make it to the top. If it's a long hill slow up and keep your heart rate to a point so you complete the climb. If you can go all out without blowing up, by all means hit it hard and fast. Gearing down to a lower gear to keep your heart at a point to where you won't blow it. If you can't gear down any further and you aren't making to the top; train more, or get lower gearing. I'd be in a lotta trouble on many climbs if I didn't have my trusty 42 toothed get out of jail free gear. When I'm fit, I use it much less than when I'm not fit.
I don't think I could spin fast enough with a 42 to do the job. That's my trouble with the 36: if I spin hard enough to keep the bike upright, I run out of HR (and energy) pretty quickly. Per Sheldon Brown Gear Inch calculator, I would have to be spinning over 120rpm cadence to keep the bike upright (about 8mph for me right now) with a 42. As it is, I have to spin the 36 over 100rpm to keep her above 8mph...which is part of the reason I run out of steam pretty quickly.

I re-clocked my Q-rings per Ratz' suggestion...test riding this weekend in OCP 1 (mashing). Ultimately, my solution appears to be 'get stronger and lighter', both of which are going to simply take some time. I will do it.

Here's the elevation profile for this ride (from somebody else's RWGPS map). The hill is shown starting at mile 36. I its a tad easier from the other direction...but has a longer ramp-up. It looks short and steep from the profile but it really only shows 4.2% max (based on RideWithGPS). I suspect it is steeper than the GPS shows. I don't attempt it that late in the ride, usually at mile 10 or so.

elevation_profile.jpg

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the encouragement. I would like to do a 90 mile race next August on my Silvio. It is mostly flat on the first half with some climbing on the second half. One serious hill of 8 to 10%. It would be nice to do it in less than 4 hours. Preferably 3 hours and 15 minutes.