Farther, Faster, Fitter, Fun - (4F - The unofficial Cruzbike training team and support group)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
To make it work well you need something that can run the TR app near the trainer. The latest word on the Android App is that it's due around the Sept-Oct time frame in time for the indoor training season. So if you have android and don't want to jump through a lot of hoops; you'd be a good Candidate to join in around October. It's not like we are going to close the doors and keep people out :)
Ah. October is fine with me. I would be in the group to acquire all the accouterments over time. We don't really have an 'indoor training season'...lately "winter" here means you need a light windbreaker and shoes instead of sandals. o_O:confused:

SamP

Guru
Well, I have a Windoze laptop, so I can download/run the TR software...but it is the 'house' computer (ie, not available for usage while on an indoor trainer). I guess I don't fully understand the systems involved here. If I can collect all the required data on my Android Smartphone, can I xfer it to the Windoze machine and participate with the 4F?

The primary data store is the website. The Windows app, and I assume the Mac and iPhone/iPad app upload the data to the website after the workout. There's also manual control to sync the data on the laptop from the website (probably only needed if you have multiple devices and don't use the same one every time) and to reupload a workout to the website (shouldn't be needed unless something goes rather wrong).

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Ok ... Today's ride was up some hills. Always good fun. Unless you do a Larry and carry an extra 40 lbs... Usually I carry little water but today I was quite full. I have done a couple of minor adjustments like moving the handlebars down a bit and extend the boom out another cm. I have to confess I like it. I got up the hill with HR of 145 BPM doing about 80 rpm and instead of being wrecked at the top i was fine. Still I would like to have kept my heart rate down to 134bmp but that's plain impossible unless you are on the flats.

So if training is starting in October. What shall I do now?

Perhaps try one of these training peaks training packages .... Which one ? They go for $25 to $99. Anyone here tried them?

Reactions: joy

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Perhaps try one of these training peaks training packages .... Which one ? They go for $25 to $99. Anyone here tried them?
David, you don't have to pay for any of the training packages. You just have to "be a member" of TrainerRoad (either monthly or yearly), and you get access to a whole suite of programs.
If you are going to start now, Ratz is probably going to put you on riding in your "aerobic" (180-age=HR) for awhile. Probably have you do an easy 8 or 20 minute FTP test first (There is already a program made for that - look back up the thread and I think he listed it.), then just basic aerobic riding for a block of time depending where you are at in your aerobic fitness. Seems like it would be easy, but it is not! I'm not sure if you even follow any pre-build programs for this.
All I did was "create" a simple program (with TrainerRoad's "Workout Creator" - also free). Just make one with a simple warmup and then 90-120 minutes of a constant wattage. If you hR ever goes above its range, then all you have to do is click the "down" arrow on the "%" field to bring the wattage down until your HR comes down.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
David, you don't have to pay for any of the training packages. You just have to "be a member" of TrainerRoad (either monthly or yearly), and you get access to a whole suite of programs.
If you are going to start now, Ratz is probably going to put you on riding in your "aerobic" (180-age=HR) for awhile. Probably have you do an easy 8 or 20 minute FTP test first (There is already a program made for that - look back up the thread and I think he listed it.), then just basic aerobic riding for a block of time depending where you are at in your aerobic fitness. Seems like it would be easy, but it is not! I'm not sure if you even follow any pre-build programs for this.
All I did was "create" a simple program (with TrainerRoad's "Workout Creator" - also free). Just make one with a simple warmup and then 90-120 minutes of a constant wattage. If you hR ever goes above its range, then all you have to do is click the "down" arrow on the "%" field to bring the wattage down until your HR comes down.
Ok I will look into it... Snowed under at the moment with brexit issues. Thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

Yep that's basically it; if you want to get started now and have the gear; we get you a discount code and get you signed up Trainer Road; then you take about two weeks to get the FTP test done and lay down some aerobic data so we can see how much that hurts you or not; and then start tweaking. For a lot of people it takes those first two weeks just to get the equipment dialed in and getting familiar with the process..

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm currently 2hrs into my spin session on the stationary right now. Excluding my daily spin session I'm feeling extremely couch potatoish these days. I should be ready for a century as soon as my arm heals :rolleyes:

skipB

I started the first day they put it up. this from the guy who couldn't get the bike to go straight 3 months ago . I try to ride 5 times a week 3 Long rides 20 or so miles and the 2 short mostly handling practice drills the other 2 days . will be trying to ride a little farther each week . I have a ride scheduled sometime next week that should be a little more challenging but it all comes with time .

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Glad to hear others are doing it. Seems well laid out for those of us without indoor trainer etc etc., just needed a plan!
Have started at week 6.

skipB

My reason for buying a cruzbike in the first place was to start to get back into some sort of better shape and healthier lifestyle . So the idea of working towards a century ride makes sense to me . It is certainly an attainable goal. the only thing was, I was pretty sure I was going to die before I got the hang of it . But riding the brick paved squares in my town . There are 24 of them in the historic district will certainly make you a pretty good cruzbike handler . Dodging tour buses, horse carriages, and the couple of hundred girl scouts everyday and you get pretty good at low speed handling

SamP

Guru
I started the first day they put it up. this from the guy who couldn't get the bike to go straight 3 months ago . I try to ride 5 times a week 3 Long rides 20 or so miles and the 2 short mostly handling practice drills the other 2 days . will be trying to ride a little farther each week . I have a ride scheduled sometime next week that should be a little more challenging but it all comes with time .

I remember when 20 miles was a long ride for me. Heck, it was only two years ago when one time around the neighborhood--1.5 miles-- was a long ride for me. You just have to build up!

A software company in Australia called Today's plan has come up with a simple metric for using power. It is called Performance Index and distills all of the power data into one simple to understand index. The web site is todaysplan.com.au. Thought you might be interested in this.

ratz

Status update for those following along. We are learning nicely what trips people up as they get up to speed; and where the success come from. From zero fitness we are seeing most of the testers getting a trajectory of 45 days of consistent easy aerobic training bringing them up to a fitness level capable of a century at 80% of ftp. This is very encouraging. We are also seeing, as expected that, when faced with 2.5 hours of aerobic bliss at a very low heart beat that everyone finds out like Larry and I did; that it hurts to go slow until your muscle endurance comes up to match.

Lastly I think we are narrowing in on a more reliable FTP testing protocol for recumbents, this is something I've suspected for a while; I will prepare a write up on this in the future but I need about 4-5 more test riders and a few months of data and testing before I can be sure. Beta has been a success and I think we are ready for more riders as the off season approaches.

Last edited:
Status update for those following along. We are learning nicely what trips people up as they get up to speed; and where the success come from. From zero fitness we are seeing most of the testers getting a trajectory of 45 days of consistent easy aerobic training bringing them up to a fitness level capable of a century at 80% of ftp. This is very encouraging. We are also seeing, as expected that, when phased with 2.5 hours of aerobic bliss at a very low heart beat that everyone finds out like Larry and I did; that it hurts to go slow until your muscle endurance comes up to match. Lastly I think we are narrowing in on a more reliable FTP testing protocol for recumbents, this is something I've suspected for a while; I will prepare a write up on this in the future but I need about 4-5 more test riders and a few months of data and testing before I can be sure. Beta has been a success and I think we are ready for more riders as the off season approaches.
I know it is so hard to go slow. At some point I feel great but bored and I just want to start cranking on the pedals. especially when someone on a commuter bike passes you.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I have got to figure out a way to do those longer stints on a regular basis. I just haven't got the bandwidth at the moment. 2hrs is about my limit...and then only once or twice (if I'm lucky) per week. When I get a trainer, I should be able to do longer stints more often...gonna be Fall/Winter at best though.

ratz

I have got to figure out a way to do those longer stints on a regular basis. I just haven't got the bandwidth at the moment. 2hrs is about my limit...and then only once or twice (if I'm lucky) per week. When I get a trainer, I should be able to do longer stints more often...gonna be Fall/Winter at best though.

For the endurance stuff sub 80% ftp; that's great for watching TV at least on an Erg trainer, we turned nightly couch time into trainer time; 3 hours is still a lot but that's not every session. When it comes to the really hard stuff latter; which is usually < 1-1.5 hours, that's the territory of music and the solitary pain cave. < 2 hours = TV, > 2.5 hours = Movie.