Farther, Faster, Fitter, Fun - (4F - The unofficial Cruzbike training team and support group)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I set the axel heights the same but instead of an included chalk I use a home made one out of wood. The advantage is my chalk has feet wide enough to place a couple 15lb Dumbbells on ether side to keep the bike from shifting when you get on and off. I also use string to ensure my wheels are alined perfectly.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I set the axel heights the same but instead of an included chalk I use a home made one out of wood. The advantage is my chalk has feet wide enough to place a couple 15lb Dumbbells on ether side to keep the bike from shifting when you get on and off. I also use string to ensure my wheels are alined perfectly.
Color me seriously disappointed. :( I thought you would at least have a couple of pit girls to weigh it down...:D

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well, at least there is one thing that I might be able to do faster than you - get at my water bottle and put it back! :D
At about mile 170 I tried for a whole min trying to twist, pull or rotate the bottle but my grip was just so weak. Eventually after a wobbly minute of frustration I gave up on my accelerade mix and settled for plain water from my boom bottle. I continued to seethe with anger at my bottle holder for the next few miles.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hawkeye Downs 2016 Event Training Report.

The Road to Race day.

On Sept 17th-18th. PluckyBlond and I showed up at the HPRA race at Hawkeye Downs race track in Cedar Rapids Iowa. The event is a long running race hosted by Dennis Grelk. The race is part of the HPRA series; see http://recumbents.com for the current list of events.

Hawkeye downs is the sort of event that has a little something for everyone. The turnout was about 30 competitors, but around 40 riders with the Rose-Hulman group competing as a team. Simply put, attending the event for us was a bit of a last minute lark for us. We went to measure ourselves against the clock in the 1-hour race on the ½ mile oval and have some fun with the flying TT, Lap race and drag race. You can find the complete list of events here: http://midwesthpv.blogspot.com

How we got there is at least as interesting as what happened on event day. So I made this training summary to go with the race report.

So to do this summary let's back-up and look at the big fitness picture. We didn't have any plans to attend any events this year at all. Too darn busy; with 2 kids in college; and 3 more in K-12, it gets a bit busy around here more so this year than most. Last November we were forced to changed houses and as such we spent most of the winter recovering from:

(1) no riding for almost 3 straight months during the move. This is what happens to your fitness metrics when you do not ride, it fades fast over 3 months.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.30.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.30.50 PM.png

(2) Some bad experiments with on the bike fueling last summer that left us both heavier and "fuel dependent" (See the low carb ultra cycling thread in forum for the details). This fueling slip really came home to roost for me as I ballooned back up to 210lbs from living on energy drinks and sleeping 2 hours a day. Meanwhile Tanya had lost most of the fitness that she had built up the previous season when 80 miles rides finally became easier for her. This photo from about 3 years ago shows exactly the size of Jersey I was wearing when I get back on the trainer; I was still fairly strong just really big; and cardio compromised.

IMG_3352 2.jpg

In January we "got our house in order" and got the trainers setup. We set a very modest goal to be ready to do something fun at Sebring in 2017, which gave us 13 months to get back into proper shape and figure out how not to lose it gain. Understand we are fairly determined people, with a minor competitive streak; in that if we do something we need to do it right. So trying anything in 2016 seemed silly. Instead we'd set an intermediate goal get in shape to do self-support 100-150 mile rides this summer.

So plan set, we started working the trainers with TrainerRoad while the snow was flying. Tanya got started in December and I finally got back at it in January. I was focused on a weight loss routine with any modest power gains I could get. It's really hard to gain power and loose weight; knowing that and going through it are two different things.

Fitness graphs for the winter shows steady progress; we put a lot of time in but the intensity wasn’t that tough; this is general base fitness building.

Tanya did higher intensity lower volume

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.47.28 PM.png

and I did long slow miles. Easy stuff but longer duration.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.48.11 PM.png

Slowly the weight came off while I managed to get power to stay around 200 watts. Meanwhile Tanya had a goal to straight out elevate her power to something competitive. (see the 4f-training thread if you want to know how to do something similar).

By the end of spring, goal accomplished. Unfortunately for use; May is when things go crazy around here so the training came to screeching halt. Because we got the late start in the winter we had no time to do a build phase here you work to get stronger on top of your base fitness. So instead we just fit in outdoor weekend rides to hold our fitness. This means lots of fading fitness followed by a it spiking back up when going out for the infrequent but super long rides.

Test rides of 100+ miles no problem, base fitness was in place; we aren't crazy strong but, we can go nonstop. We now have a solid wide foundation to build on heading back into February.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.16.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.16.24 PM.png

When the Portland, Cruzbike retreat came up we had to solve the problem of getting the bikes a long distance across the country, which we did; and surprise now we are mobile. The trip out to Portland also confirmed we could travel for a 4 days straight and still be in ride shape when we got to the destination.

Back down to 170 by the retreat probably about 10 lbs heavy for me to be racing.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.37.14 PM.png

Yeah yeah I know get on with it what about the race?

So why Hawkeye downs? Well as August got rolling I needed to start getting our fall training program organized. That requires a reliable measure of how things have worked so far.

There is a lot of data on how to train upright riders for a specific event, but I am not convinced that it maps one to one to recumbent racing and event riding at the high end; so field testing the results to determine when we break from convention is important.

It is hard to plan without an objective measurement. Trainers are all well and fine, but the real world is still subjectively different enough. While working through this thought-line, I spotted the Hawkeye Downs on the calendar, and that would work out for our schedule with some adjustments.

Since FTP, the basis for power training, is about what you can do in the real world for 1 hour all out; puke bucket waiting for you at the finish line, this event could not have been better designed for our needs. The first stock event was a one hour; on a flat track (we have zero flat ground where we live) and there would likely be other recumbent riders, stronger than us, to push us to our limits. At the same time the field of riders would be small enough to not make our zero experience a liability and blow up the results.

Decision made, 7 weeks left until the race; we switched our indoor training, to not get stronger, but to optimize our 1 hour endurance. The long slow training we had done up to that point was not designed for track racing. Fortunately, we then got about 5 weeks of bad weather and rain; so trainer time it was.

We took the Trainer road 40k TT plan and optimized it for the time we had left and had at it.

When we left for Cedar Rapids on Friday, our FTP was in theory the same as when we went to Portland. If you look at the final graphs we didn't add any raw power in 7 weeks, instead we maintained our modest winter gains where are about ⅓ of the strength Larry built this year, and something anyone can do in the winter with a 4 ride a week plan. What we did do was optimize our heart and lungs to be able to deliver that power level for 1 hour. Notice no gain in fitness either; you do not have to continually push the fitness level up in order to optimize.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.26.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.26.21 PM.png

See the race report to see how it turned out.

Last edited:

pedlpadl

Looking at trainers, planning to get up and running in January. I think I will use an iPhone as my device. Or might look for a cheap laptop on craigslist. The KICKR comes with a BT cadence sensor. So, for HR my choices are to get a BT HR monitor, or get the ANT+ dongle and 8 pin adapter for the iPhone, or USB ANT+ key (which I already have) for the laptop. That right? Am I missing anything?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So, for HR my choices are to get a BT HR monitor, or get the ANT+ dongle

Most good HR Monitors are Dual Band BT/ANT+ get one of those and avoid the dongle.

Primary reason is that the Kickr is easier to control with BT. If you use the ANT+ dongle on an iphone your TrainerRoad setup will see the Kickr as a 1 BT Device; and 2 Seperate ANT+ devices (Trainer, and Speedometer) that can make it a hassle to keep things connected correctly during the first couple weeks of figuring it all out.

This assumes your iPhone is a 4s or newer with BT4-LE. That's probably everyone now but it worth mentioning. Never know when someone has an old phone in the drawer to turn into a dedicated trainer computer.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Looking at trainers, planning to get up and running in January. I think I will use an iPhone as my device. Or might look for a cheap laptop on craigslist. The KICKR comes with a BT cadence sensor. So, for HR my choices are to get a BT HR monitor, or get the ANT+ dongle and 8 pin adapter for the iPhone, or USB ANT+ key (which I already have) for the laptop. That right? Am I missing anything?
I'd opt for the cheap laptop or even desktop so you can pipe the display to a screen. That really helps with seeing the workout and running videos to ride by.

Dave Arnold

I'd opt for the cheap laptop or even desktop so you can pipe the display to a screen. That really helps with seeing the workout and running videos to ride by.

You don't need a laptop or desktop to pipe the display to a big screen (TV). I run TrainerRoad on my iPhone and mirror the display using AirPlay to my Apple TV. Apple TV is fairly cheap. I don't know about Android and/or Chromecast--that might be possible too.

When I want to watch a movie on the big screen when I'm doing a long TrainerRoad workout, I mount the iPhone to my handlebars with a Topeak RideCase mount.

Dave

1happyreader

zen/child method
Got any discount codes for trainer road Left ?
If yes,,, This would be a great time for me to start.
I am finally back in the saddle, yea,
later,,, bye

Dave Arnold

I have one free month coupon code. I don't know if the codes that Ratz has are different. If you want the free month code, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Would like to hear from Android app users about Trainer Road and their Ant+ install process.

I am running TR on a Samsung Galaxy S4 but had used Ant+ previously with IpBike, so no install problems for me.

The Draft of the instructions PDF reminded me of when I first heard of Ant+ sensors and how disappointed I was that my Motorola Droid would need at least a dongle. At the time there was only a few Sony models with it built-in. Ant+ device list.

later,,,, bye

Last edited: