Front suspension

Daniel Uram

My FWD bike do not have a front suspension, I can not imagine how a normal suspension fit in a Cruzebike can you explain with pictures how does it work? they have 10cm space, how to fit in a 13cm 10 speed cassette?

SamP

Guru
The CruzBike Conversion Kit is designed for a bike with a front fork with 100mm dropuot width and a rear axle with 135mm width between the locknuts. To do this, a pair of brackets connect the front fork and then bend outwards to where the former rear wheel (with cassette) is mounted. It doesn't matter whether the front fork has a suspension or not. You can see a picture of the brackets (and the front fork and former rear wheel) on my post about my Conversion Kit bike.

SamP

Guru
The Conversion Kit was discontinued last year. You might inquire if CruzBike has any brackets as spare parts but they're somewhat Conversion Kit-specific, it sounds like you have a bike from some other manufacturer or a home-built bike. If the latter, you might try to fabricate your own, and the former, it seems doubtful you could just drop it into your bike.

Again, there is no suspension kit. The front suspension, if there is one, is in the bike's fork.

Daniel Uram

To fabricate my own I need more than a picture, can you send me more pictures and a design of it or a link to the designs and pics?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
You don't need front suspension on a Cruzbike or Cruzbike conversion. I've seen many very good conversions without suspension, so work with what you've got, take pictures, and we'll go from there.

SamP

Guru
There are a lot of dirt roads near me, and I'm sure the suspension helps a lot on them, though I do tend to avoid them. But on a recent ride, it was either take the relatively flat dirt road or take a rather steep set of hills on the main road.

It's a bit hard to take pictures of the brackets, they're incorporated into the bike and I'd have to do some disassembly, and they're black. I don't have any design files, I'm just a CruzBike customer.

The basic idea is simple, it's got two bends so that the 135mm wheel axle/cassette fits in one set of holes and the bends go around the cassette so that the 100mm wide fork can be mounted in a hole. [got it reversed earlier] And there's another set of holes for the front triangle. I suspect getting the shape and arrangement and placement of holes/slots right was a lot of trial and error for John Tolhurst.

[update]

Ok, here's John Tolhurst's patent application for the CruzBike Conversion Kit, which shows details on the brackets, especially figure 6.

I don't think I have anything more to add about the brackets as I've already given you pretty much all the information on them I have.

Last edited: