Garmin Varia Radar test

jond

Zen MBB Master
I have been taken out three times by vehicles clipping me from behind whilst hugging the edge of the road. Two caravans and a b double truck. Spat me onto verge with only rash. Lucky. One was on the vendetta with mirrors . The driver just had to squeeze by. Would the radar have saved me.
Probably no but I would have had more awareness in two of the three episodes.

By the way all three drivers drove on. Nice. Two were charged with driving offences.

A recent spate of local audax deaths and a few close calls personally had me retreat off road to reassess

Cycling is dangerous and risk must be accepted and mitigated. I love riding road so hence the radar.

To cut to the chase.

I purchased only the radar and not the hud. I pair the radar to the edge 520

the radar is genuinely useful alerting me to a missed vehicle in my frequent mirror check. The battery life 7-10 hours like the edge 520 is too short for all day rides but external battery power while in use is possible. The audible alert cannot be heard above 30 klm/hr. But the visual alert I have not missed and can gauge the pass from the display. The daylight flash from the taillight is mediocre and I use a 2w be seen flasher in addition. All my testing has been in daylight.

I feel safer with the radar on. To the extent after a month i will not by choice now ride without it. The radar is of tangible benefit for me.

Verdict expensive but am happy I purchased.

I also replaced my zefal spy mirrors with the Bausch muller glass mirrors. Much better for my fading eyesight.. another fab forum tip much appreciated thanks.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have been taken out three times by vehicles clipping me from behind whilst hugging the edge of the road. Two caravans and a b double truck. Spat me onto verge with only rash. Lucky. One was on the vendetta with mirrors . The driver just had to squeeze by. Would the radar have saved me.
Probably no but I would have had more awareness in two of the three episodes.

By the way all three drivers drove on. Nice. Two were charged with driving offences.

A recent spate of local audax deaths and a few close calls personally had me retreat off road to reassess

Cycling is dangerous and risk must be accepted and mitigated. I love riding road so hence the radar.

To cut to the chase.

I purchased only the radar and not the hud. I pair the radar to the edge 520

the radar is genuinely useful alerting me to a missed vehicle in my frequent mirror check. The battery life 7-10 hours like the edge 520 is too short for all day rides but external battery power while in use is possible. The audible alert cannot be heard above 30 klm/hr. But the visual alert I have not missed and can gauge the pass from the display. The daylight flash from the taillight is mediocre and I use a 2w be seen flasher in addition. All my testing has been in daylight.

I feel safer with the radar on. To the extent after a month i will not by choice now ride without it. The radar is of tangible benefit for me.

Verdict expensive but am happy I purchased.

I also replaced my zefal spy mirrors with the Bausch muller glass mirrors. Much better for my fading eyesight.. another fab forum tip much appreciated thanks.

Old age is catching you up, with 70 just around the corner, but with regular cycling, the 70s is the old 50s!!!!

A +2 w Tail light, as a daylight Tail light is useless!
You need a Dinnotte DAYTIME Red rear tail light 6 W 400 lumens, 4 leds 45 degree spread, and 4 leds 10 degree spread, that can ONLY be used during the day, as the led brightness can not be reduced, only the on time sequence, or something similar.
http://store.dinottelighting.com/da...-seat-stay-chain-stay-or-rack-mount-p188.aspx

Attaching a safety triangle to the rear of the seay would also improve your visibility!!!
On my first ACA tour in USA in 2011, I had to ride with this on the bike, but when seeing an ACA rider next to a normal DF rider, 400 m in front, the ACA rider was a LOT more visible!
Cruzbike Quest Rockport USA 2011 .jpg
https://www.adventurecycling.org/cy...lective/sp/jogalite-cyclists-safety-triangle/

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
I also have the Varia Radar, as I commute almost entirely on shared roads.

It works.

There a survey of two cannot be wrong.

Actually the research revealed no buyer remorse. Mostly very positive.

As an adjunct to a cycling safety protocol it works .

Plus for added safety. A reduction in the surprise close passs.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Old age is catching you up, with 70 just around the corner, but with regular cycling, the 70s is the old 50s!!!!

A +2 w Tail light, as a daylight Tail light is useless!
You need a Dinnotte DAYTIME Red rear tail light 6 W 400 lumens, 4 leds 45 degree spread, and 4 leds 10 degree spread, that can ONLY be used during the day, as the led brightness can not be reduced, only the on time sequence, or something similar.
http://store.dinottelighting.com/da...-seat-stay-chain-stay-or-rack-mount-p188.aspx

Attaching a safety triangle to the rear of the seay would also improve your visibility!!!
On my first ACA tour in USA in 2011, I had to ride with this on the bike, but when seeing an ACA rider next to a normal DF rider, 400 m in front, the ACA rider was a LOT more visible!
View attachment 5962
https://www.adventurecycling.org/cy...lective/sp/jogalite-cyclists-safety-triangle/

Oh slim you old custard tart. You are much older than I. Even if you don’t look it. That’s a compliment. First and last.

Mate I totally agree with a strong flashing light and will check out your suggestion ouch just did $340. My wife is tallying the score. Looks like zecto auto by lezyne so we keep eating wins.

I have noted repeatedly I see the high intensity flash long before the bike during the day.

I think hi vis Lycra is useful along with reflectors etc as a secondary be seen measure.

But in South Australia nothing beats good luck since they cut off the electricity it’s hard to charge a bike light. Lol

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Oh slim you old custard tart. You are much older than I. Even if you don’t look it. That’s a compliment. First and last.

Mate I totally agree with a strong flashing light and will check out your suggestion ouch just did $340. My wife is tallying the score. Looks like zecto auto by lezyne so we keep eating wins.

I have noted repeatedly I see the high intensity flash long before the bike during the day.

I think hi vis Lycra is useful along with reflectors etc as a secondary be seen measure.
Jond, why are you saying I am OLD, as I am only 46 yrs!!!

But in South Australia nothing beats good luck since they cut off the electricity it’s hard to charge a bike light. Lol
Do you mean Lycra like this?
DXyP55Me7Dd_Lyd9LZJ3UGIgKhfITc9xNfkkTD39nK_nhujifV-dNvywf_fqtxmj1T2nWw=s128

images

Or like this?

These OLD Flying Doctor pedal powered generators were sent out to the South Australians that requested them, after a FREAK windstorm blew down the main power lines near Port Augusta!!!!

dd4980bf5d71303e445b3d9d15b4f167.jpg