Gearing upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Freedom Series (T50 Complete, and T50 Kit)' started by Vicki C., Aug 10, 2017.

1. Vicki C.

Vicki C. T50 Trailblazer

I knew I might end up wanting a few more gears than the one 40T ring on front. Now that I feel I can actually ride this bike and am certainly enjoying it, I need to make sure I can negotiate climbs, especially with curves, consistently. On a few local bits, I am finding that a challenge. I suspect I could overcome some of that challenge as my T50 muscles become stronger, but I do want to continue to ride the rides I am used to.

So, I did check in with the LBS for a quote for swapping the 40T front ring for a compact double, mountain bike style, or for keeping the 40T and changing the rear cassette. I just thought I would seek suggestions from all of you power users out there before I go forward.

Option 1: I was told I could go to an 8-speed 11-36 cassette as one option and keep the 40T ring.

Option 2: A 48 or 50/34 crankset (and I was quoted for an Origin8), with the SRAM 3 twist 3 speed (for a double? or maybe that is the only option), and, of course, the clamps and whatnot.

I am used to a 46/36/24 with an 11-34 cassette on my Tour Easy. With that I can climb most of what I want as long as I can keep the bike upright. The T50, like other Cruzbikes, climbs more efficiently, and I probably don't need the very smallest gear.

Any ideas of a better setup or comments on whether this is a decent setup (remembering that I am not seeking top-end components but something in line with what is already on the bike).

super slim likes this.
  2. RojoRacing

RojoRacing Donut Powered Wise-guy

you didn't tell us what you have on the rear right now

3. Vicki C.

Vicki C. T50 Trailblazer

Sorry. I sure didn't. 11-34. Stock on T50 basic, along with the 40t ring.

4. RojoRacing

RojoRacing Donut Powered Wise-guy

11-36 would be the easiest but least effective as it's not a big change. The 50-34 up front would be the better choice for a little more money as long as you or the installer tune it up to shift cleanly. Anything else would probably cost quite a bit more so beyond that grow a little more leg power to pick up the slack.

super slim and Vicki C. like this.
  5. super slim

super slim Zen MBB Master

If you don't want to go to a triple, then I think the 11 - 34 , with Ratz's 50 QXL (53.8 - 46.3) / 36 QXL (33.3 - 38.7), on a 150 to 140 crank!

6. Vicki C.

Vicki C. T50 Trailblazer

I wouldn't mind a triple, but the mechanic said the double would be an easier upgrade, if I recall correctly. I asked about shorter cranks and he recommended against that too. Not sure of advantages.

7. tiltmaniac

tiltmaniac Guru

the 11-34 is 10sp?
    What derailleur does it have (from the photos, it looks to be a SRAM long-cage derailleur. Is it a gx?)

Depending on the chain capacity, you could put a Sunrace MX3 11-42t cassette on for ~55.

8. Vicki C.

Vicki C. T50 Trailblazer

No. 8 speed.

9. Charles.Plager

Charles.Plager Recumbent Quant

I run a 48/38/22 on my Sofrider. And I use the 22 all the time. Don't fear the triple. :)

10. Vicki C.

Vicki C. T50 Trailblazer

It looks like a 50/34 with the 8 speed 11-34 will be installed tomorrow. I will try it out Wednesday.

tiltmaniac and super slim like this.