Getting Off the Fence

Bill K

Guru
What is inside - two wires, no shielding.
I did the same thing a year ago (cut and spliced the DI2 cable). Works great. On the old chainstay you do have to drill holes. Tough decision, but on the new chainstay as you found out the manufacturing vent holes are just rite for a DI2 cable (but won't fit the connector).
Shimano uses the CAN bus protocol, common in the auto industry. Low frequency, twisted pair. Look it up on Wikipedia if interested.
BTW yours looks much nicer. Mine looks um... homemade.
Was it worth all the effort?
I think you will find that it was definitely worth it. Much easier to keep clean. Won't snag on bushes. Impress the CB tribe.

GetBent

Good news!

I read somewhere on the internet (probably this forum) that Mavic wheels with 9/10 speed cassettes are mounted with spacers so that they are 11 speed compatible. Guess what? Mine are. So now that I have the 11 speed cassette mounted, I have wheels for my new ride.

I finished the wiring for the Di2, and everything works. By "works", I mean that pressing a button gets a proper response. There is no chain. Since I deviated somewhat from what other people have done, here is the description and the reasoning. Mounted on the handle bar is the display/control unit. Each of the shifters is connected to that unit. The third port on the display/control unit connects to the internal "B" junction in the steering tube. Also connected to that internal "B" junction is the battery (also in the steering tube) and a cable which connects to the external "B" junction mounted on the reverse side of the FD pulley mount. (Thank you CruzeBike for providing a perfect place to mount an external "B" junction!) Both the FD and the RD connect to this junction. This is quite a bit different than what I had planned. Funny how prior planning goes to total crap once the work starts.

The reason for this madness is twofold:

1) If I need to break down the bike, only two wires need to be disconnected, one at the external "B" junction, the other at the display/control unit.
2) Likewise, if I need to break down the bike, I do not need to fish any wires.

This install is not as neat and clean as others, but it suits my needs better.

GetBent

External "B" junction. Nice of CruzBike to provide a great mounting place. They even provided a bolt.External B Junction.jpg

GetBent

More good news!

The WickWerks Fit Link works! In the full up position, I have just slightly less than 3mm clearance between the FD cage and the large chain ring, which puts the FD in spec. From this experience, I would say that if using a chain ring larger than 46T, the Fit Link will NOT work on a Vendetta V20.

IMG_0117.JPG.jpg

GetBent

Got everything adjusted and both FD and RD seem to shift smoothly. Unfortunately, when finishing up, discovered that the flange that the "B" tension bolt passes through interferes with the RD hanger. Guess I will need take everything apart and do a little grinding.

Good tire changing practice, right?

Bill K

Guru
And the taillight could mean: "one if by land and two if by sea" as you sprint through downtown at warp speed.

GetBent

Had a couple of breaks in the weather....

Session 1: "Flintstone" starts, circles in driveway (both directions) only 1 crash.

Session 2: "Real" starts, circles in driveway. Discovered that when I was about to lose it, I could stop pedaling and steer may way out.

Session 3: "Real" starts, circles in driveway. Discovered that when I was about to lose it, I could power out of it using the pedals.

Session 4: "Real" starts, circles in driveway. Better control. Managed to stay on the driveway, and completely avoided running into the grass and flower beds.

Session 5: Used toe clips for the first time, wobbled up and down the dead end street in front of the house, much to the amusement of the neighbors.

Session 6: Made it to a nearby parking lot to do figure 8s and slaloms.

Session 7: Couldn't take it any more, went for a 10 mile ride.

Since I think I have reasonable fit now, I trimmed the brake cables, taped the bars, and mounted the headrest clamp tonight.

I am surprised at how quickly I am adapting to the Vendetta. I think it is actually easier to start from a stop with the Vendetta than with the Actionbent. When riding, I seem to lose my balance more often when my head is back on the rest, so I only do that on smooth flat sections. I went up a hill that I normally go up in first gear on the Tarmac (33/27) in third on the Vendetta (30/25), so I think I got the gearing correct. So now I have a little "reserve" for steeper hills. This gearing also allows me to use the full range of gears. On the Tarmac, I rarely used the large chain ring. The Actionbent has a triple, I have never used the large chain ring. Right now, I am focusing on control, balance, and staying upright.

GetBent

Eureka! I finally got it!

When I use the head rest, I tend to lose my balance more often. It is not because my head is back, it is because the head rest constrains my head from moving side to side. When I hold my head slightly forward of the head rest, my body automatically moves my head side to side for balance. Who knew that side to side head movements were so important for balance.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Eureka! I finally got it!

When I use the head rest, I tend to lose my balance more often. It is not because my head is back, it is because the head rest constrains my head from moving side to side. When I hold my head slightly forward of the head rest, my body automatically moves my head side to side for balance. Who knew that side to side head movements were so important for balance.
You must have a HEAVY HEAD!!!!
I THINK it might be more automatic hand movements that are linked to the head movements???