Getting Off the Fence

bret

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If you haven't bought yet - the baddest tires may be Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They have videos showing people riding over piles of tacks and glass. But those are hard rolling tires.

The Schwalbe Marathon (Greenguard) roll very well and have less of an anti-puncture layer, but still have one. Just FYI.
I had Marathon + tyres on my Scorpion FX trike, and they are REALLY slow, and scream like a banshee when cornering a trike, then went to Greenspeed tyres which handled well but were very soft and got cut to shreds after only 1000 km, then went to Schwalbe Kojak tyres and excellent grip, cornering and puncture/cut resistance and tyres lasted 4,000 km.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
On my Silvio V1.0 I run Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 700 28(235 gm) with Schwalbe 700 * 28 to 47 tubes(150 gm) so I have the max tube thickness, that must be slower, but has dramatically reduced punctures!
I had TWO front BIG Pinch flat blow out in ONE day on a Cycle Canada Tour, the first when at 25 kph in a peleton and hit a brick, as no-one warned about it, and just slowed down, as I was riding in a straight line.
The second was at 40 kph on a sweeping descent, when a car was moving across the line, and pushing me off towards a rough gravel verge, and I hit a 75 mm dia rock, BIG Pinch flat blow out, started wobbling as the tyre was moving side to side, then pulled my feet out of the cleats, and used my two feet as trainer wheel stabilisers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I bought inexpensive all condition 700x28 so that I could ride during the current break in the weather. (Got two rides in.) I think that they are more appropriate for the current road and weather conditions. They fit fine, no clearance problems. Meanwhile, I have a nicer set on order. I had not considered tubeless because it seemed to be a pain to install them. So I would need to carry a tire and bottle of sealant? Will that fit in the Moose Pack? Can a tube be used inside a tubeless tire in an emergency? It looks like my rims are tubeless ready. Something I will think about.
You don't need to carry sealant if you refresh your sealant as suggested. I carried sealant because I wouldn't do this. Now I have the airshot I will happily refresh as needed. Yes a tube can be used but it is unlikely you will need it (unless you don't carry one, then you are sure to need it :p)

Rod Butler

Can somebody tell me what the BLEEP! BLEEP! happened?

I am still a little shaken - I walked the bike back the last 3 miles today.

Splat! Face plant! Road kill! Yep, you get the picture. I went down hard. I wound up lying on the right side of the lane, and the bike continued forward and left, stopping just short of the center line. It must have been a spectacular crash, as it drew a bit of a crowd. Fortunately, I had multiple layers of cloths on, so no road rash.

I was pushing up a hill. The rear wheel broke loose and slid out from under me to the right. I felt it happen, and immediately tried to correct by stearing in to the slide, but I am pretty sure I hit the ground before my arms moved much at all, if any. I estimate it took about a second from the time I felt the rear tire slide to the right and the time I hit the ground. So why would that happen? I assumed I had a blow out of the rear tire, but no, it was good. Then I went back from the crash site assuming I had hit a wet man hole cover, oil or maybe loose sand or gravel. Nothing. Then I inspected the rear of the bike again. Maybe the bearings froze or something jammed in the brakes. No, nothing. Everything was fine. Maybe a stick or some kind of debris kicked up, caught in the spokes, and jammed against the chain stays. No. Nothing at all. A total mystery. After shaking it off, I was getting back on the bike, and noticed the front wheel was flat. Not low, totally and completely dead. (There was a 1/4 inch slit in the tube, no damage at all to the tire.) So my conclusion is that a front wheel blow out caused my rear wheel to slide out to the right, almost instantaneously dumping me. But why? My more rational side attributes this to inexperience, an amateur with more bicycle than skill.

This accident has me spooked. I have had front wheel blow outs going down hill with both the Tarmac and the Actionbent. I stayed upright through all of them, moving at much higher speeds. My preferred route out of town involves multiple hills. To make up time lost going up, I blast down the back sides, typically hitting 30-45 mph, depending on the hill and how aggressive I am feeling. What is gnawing at me is the possibility that this is a quirk of the design. That it will happen any time the front wheel goes flat. I got dumped due to a front wheel blow out going relatively slowly up hill. What happens to me if I have a front wheel blow out blasting down hill? The same?

I suspect that what happened was that the blow out caused the bike to slow down, causing the rear wheel to unload. If the front wheel was not straight, this could have caused the rear wheel to break free and slide to the right side. But this does not make total sense, as going up hill caused the weight to be biased towards the rear wheel. Nor does it explain why I was able to maintain control riding the Tarmac and the Actionbent under the same situation, except faster and down hill, with the weight biased towards the front.

I did a lot of checking around before getting a Vendetta. The only negatives were relatively minor a) difficult to start from a stop (I found that to be easy) b) difficult remove/replace the front wheel (I agree!). Absolutely nothing about people crashing and burning due to front wheel blow outs. Probably it is just me. But I am still spooked, and it will probably be a long time before I will have the confidence to make use of the performance that the Vendetta offers.

More bike than skill.....I like that, sounds like me! Exactly the same thing happened to me a few weeks back but from a different cause.
Rear wheel went sideways in a nano-second after hitting the inclined edge of an icy cobble, I went down hard!
I was on a canal tow-path at the time and it was either prickly brambles on one side or an icy dip on the other, Life went into slow-mo and I slid to a bumpy stop thankfully avoiding both. Just a huge bruise on my right hip that is only just going away. I feel your pain.
Note to self: inexperienced rider on narrow tow-path in icy conditions...Mmmm, probably not a good idea.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
More bike than skill.....I like that, sounds like me! Exactly the same thing happened to me a few weeks back but from a different cause.
Rear wheel went sideways in a nano-second after hitting the inclined edge of an icy cobble, I went down hard!
I was on a canal tow-path at the time and it was either prickly brambles on one side or an icy dip on the other, Life went into slow-mo and I slid to a bumpy stop thankfully avoiding both. Just a huge bruise on my right hip that is only just going away. I feel your pain.
Note to self: inexperienced rider on narrow tow-path in icy conditions...Mmmm, probably not a good idea.
See cruztrike above

Uphill

Have a look at road UST for tubeless you can seat back on the rim at the side of the road. Certainly with mtn UST you can reseat after a puncture using a fairly small pump. So I think it'll be same for road UST if you are using 30mm or above tyres.

GetBent

Spot the Vendetta!

spot.jpg

Driver's view of the Vendetta from 150 feet on a partly overcast afternoon, showing my "Daytime Running Lights".

As a driver, I know with absolute certainty that those red bicycle tail lights are worthless during the day (except for one that cost $250.00), and marginal at night. Even at night, I typically see the cyclists before I see the light.

The lights are more noticeable in real life than the photo indicates, but gives an idea. The photo was taken with the lights on full power because it would be hard to do when in strobe mode, which I think provides better visibility.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Find the brick mailbox pillar just to the left of the center of the picture.
See the white mailbox mounted to the pillar? It's sticking out to the right.
The bright spot between the white mailbox and the pavement is the headlight.
Now you can see the handlebars, right?
The Vendetta is leaning on the brick mailbox post.

bret

I suppose that's kinda' the point.

During WWII, they used bright lights as camouflage - I've seen a demo where bright spotlights on the horizon concealed tanks, and the PBY Catalina sub-hunters used 'Ley Lights' to disguise themselves so the sub lookout wouldn't see them before they heard them.

GetBent

Whoo! Hoo!

Today, for the first time, I went down a steep hill without using the brakes. My PR on the ActionBent for this hill is 42.5 mph. I think I am getting better with my balance issue. I have been practicing riding one handed for the past three rides. I am finding that to be a good balance exercise. Yes, I am still wearing a full set of roller blade gear.

In spite of the weather, I am at about the 230 mile mark. So far, I have only two issues with the Vendetta.

1) It is difficult to clear for turns when in traffic. Any hints?

2) My face is just about German Shepherd height....

1happyreader

zen/child method
1) It is difficult to clear for turns when in traffic. Any hints?
Not sure what " clear for turns " means.
Suggest you try sitting up, and other turning experiments, in some parking lot ,
It will pay off if you learn methods for slower and tighter turning lines.

Rod Butler

Not sure what " clear for turns " means.
Suggest you try sitting up, and other turning experiments, in some parking lot ,
It will pay off if you learn methods for slower and tighter turning lines.

To get going, have one foot clipped-in (low gear) and the other 'available' for the ground.
I 'claw and hook' to start then clip the other foot in and change up gear as needed, works for me, especially on an incline.

Robert O

If "clear for turns" refers to checking back for traffic, I use a helmet mounted mirror. Not easy to crank your head around far enough to see on any recumbent.

Bill Wightman

I have only had one flat so far doing about 18 mph. That was on the back wheel. No issues. Slowed gently to a stop and replaced the tube and put two double folded dollar bills inside to cover the side-wall slash on my brand new tire. Still riding that tire. The double dollar fix is better than the store-bought patches. The rear tire on my V20 gets very little wear on the tread but has a lot of damage from a road trash slash and a couple of crashes. The front tire has no crash damage but a lot of tread wear. I will not be rotating the crash damage to the front. I have always been afraid of being 30+ miles away from home and getting tire damage that a tubeless configuration cannot recover from. My standard repair kit includes 3x tubes and 4x CO2 16g cartridges and dollar bills for patches.

Recently ground down my carbon seat, handlebar end, front cassette derailleur, rear skewer, rear wheel side wall, and my right forearm on a dry patch of 30 grit concrete road. That was less than fun. No head impacts. Was getting used to a new hand position and going too fast in a corner. The V20 dumps you onto the ground from a lower elevation which is nice. Velocity squared and all that stuff.

joy

[QUOTE="

2) My face is just about German Shepherd height....[/QUOTE]

Had a bear stick its head out of the brush next to a MUP in CT I was on while on the V20. Thought I was going to hit it with my knee. He looked as surprised as I was! Husband wanted to know where it went. I didn’t hang around to find out.

GetBent

The V20 is my replacement for my "go fast" bike, a Tarmac Pro. It has definitely solved the problems with hand, wrist, and neck pain from riding the Tarmac. The V20 is a keeper. It is so comfortable that I think I could fall asleep on it if I did not need to pedal. It is great to get out on the open road and just cruise. In city traffic, not so good.

So now I need a replacement for my commuter bike, which is a well used hybrid (not a road bike, not a mountain bike, sort of a mix of the two). I am thinking of an S40. I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic. Oh, and lets not forget about all the rain we get in the PNW. And I like to go fast (which is probably painfully slow for you all).

Or maybe I should ride the "V" for another season, and by that time maybe I will be more confident riding in traffic. I feel totally silly driving to the gym, but I am not comfortable riding the "V" in traffic, and my commuter bike is hurting my hands and wrists.

Any comments?