Good Showing at Midwest Recumbent Rally

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
2 Quest 20"
2 Quest 26"
1 Vendetta
1 Silvio 1.0

And that is just the Friday showing; we'll see how shows up tomorrow.

1happyreader

zen/child method
seeing cruzbikes

OK,,, Ratz,,,

I gotta ask , how many of those cruzbikes belong to you ??

bye ....... later

ratz

We accounted for one for the

We accounted for two of the 20" and one 26 inch. So 50%;

Taught 2 guys to ride; and saw at least 1 other lesson going on. All and all it was fun. Daughter 2 of 5 did her first 45 miler on her quest 20 and learned to clip in; so it was a good event. One more ride tomorrow morning.

ratz

If there aren't photos it didn't......

Thanks to the people that ride fast; and post to the internet we got a couple nice action shots.

Sabrina was riding her first event. She's been riding bikes for about 3 weeks; and is know as "Green Helmet" since you can see her coming for about 2 miles; that thing is really green.

mwrr-ratz1.jpg

Sam had a bit of focus going as she crested one of the big hills. We'd show you all the bikes she dropped but they are too far behind her.

mwrr-ratz4.jpg

This is the no-drop sag rider who spent most of the event riding back and forth between the kids making sure no one got lost on the routes.
mwrr-ratz3.jpg

Sabrina giving me the; "you didn't tell me, that we get to stop for coffee, I'd have ridden faster look"

mwrr-ratz8.jpg

Sabrina at the end of her 43 mile ride. She did 23, 43 and 28. Not to bad for someone that started 3 weeks ago; and had only done Qty2, 20 mile rides before this event. We had to tell her more than once; "Really this is the last hill"
devil_smile.gif

mwrr-ratz5.jpg

This would be the "Hi Dad, I'm really sorry I missed that turn and made you chase me down a 5% grade for 2 miles. But hey our pace line to get back to the group was fun.. right?"
mwrr-ratz10(1).jpg

And finally; the reason I take the slower bike and shlep bikes in and out of the hotel for 3 days. I have more calluses from hauling bikes than I do from riding them.
mwrr-ratz9.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Good fun there, the smiles on

Good fun there, the smiles on The Girls faces say it all. They will be ready shortly to start doing centuries with you Bob.

Wish we had a Mid-West recumbent Rally here on the wets coast.

Thank Bob for the fun photos. Say, were you able to catch The Girls down the hill?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great photos Bob

Thanks for sharing! What a lovely family.
"The family that 'rides' together, 'sweats' together." (or something like that)
I wish I could get even "one" of my 5 family members to ride with me! (It must be the sweating thing - none of them like to sweat like me!)

ratz

Huff and puff.

Rick,

Yes I caught her, probably would have been faster to just ride hard to catch her; the waving and yelling was pointless and just slowed me down. Then we had to run a Quest Pace Line to get back up to her sister. Funny how they never miss a turn on level ground. Figures that about 5 minutes before that I was thinking I should have let her ride the 62 by herself like she wanted to.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Fun times. I really need to

Fun times. I really need to try and make one of these some year. Good looking posse ya got there Bob.

-Eric

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Looks like a ton of fun

Ratz,
I love the picture-description-story-style.
I have two daughters, younger, that I hope to schlep bikes around for just as much as you have done this time.

Nice job Dad!
Lief

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey Lief, why don't we get to

Hey Lief, why don't we get to have west coast recumbent rallies? Even if it were called The Midwest Recumbent Rally, that should be no further east than the Rocky's
regular_smile.gif

Lief

Guru Schmuru
"We" Have one in Portland every year

Rick,
On Memorial Day weekend (I've been to 4 out of the last 5) in Portland there is a Human Powered Challenge weekend.
Not sure how big it is compared to the MidWest Recumbent rally but we have a good time racing (i.e., timing ourselves) and drinking beer and all.

Mark Mueller has driven up a couple times from No Cal.
Every other year or so the Velomobile group joins us.

It's a hoot!
This year I met Maria and Jim and Robert Holler there - more Cruzbikes than you can shake a stick at!
Previous years it was just me and my Silvio 1.0.

Although the year before I joined - a guy named Jamie Emmerson brought his Silvio. He sold it and now he just brings the beer (he's a brewmaster at Full Sail Ale.

If you can make the trip - it'd be GREAT to see you there next year!
http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/index.html
and
CRUD! for that matter - starting today OHPV is doing their 16th annual "Recumbent Retreat".
http://www.recumbentretreat.org/

I've never made it to that tho...many of the same folks are there.
Lief

Lief

Guru Schmuru
ride your Vendetta there

Rick,
If you started now, on your new V...You could just make it by Sunday.

GoogleMaps says 48 hours from Redding to Fort Stephens but we all know their bike directions don't take into account V-speed.
So - I bet you could do it in 36.

And pre-qualify for RAAM while you're at it. :)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I will need to put the

I will need to put the Memorial day HPC weekend on my calendar for next year. I read about some of that over on BROL, looks like great fun especially if Celebrities like Maria and Jim are there, LOL!!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick,
If you started now, on

Rick,
If you started now, on your new V...You could just make it by Sunday.

GoogleMaps says 48 hours from Redding to Fort Stephens but we all know their bike directions don't take into account V-speed.
So - I bet you could do it in 36.

Ha-ha-ha, maybe more like 48 days. The way my legs are feeling, I haven't been able to see what the V can do yet. I don't know what I did, but it all happened the week I did all of those miles felt great, and did the Century, then everything went to heck. Went out yesterday and tried to do a recovery ride, only 17 miles but felt like the last 5 miles of 100 mile ride. I even stopped and checked for a flat, and then checked how hard the wind was blowing, knowing it couldn't be me, but it was. Felt like mountain bike tires in mud.