Grabbed the GoPro and...

Obviously I chose the wrong mount location. Watch your nose, I might hit it with my knee.
So where do you mount your cameras on a Cruzbike?

Little warmer for today's ride

Pikes Lane in Baton Rouge - multiple million dollar homes, old oaks, and a recently patched concrete street.

Congress Blvd. in Baton Rouge - Bike lane that isn't posted as a bike lane, but is a no parking area. Don't blink or you'll miss the down "hill" section. (It's just after the stop sign).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We should probably collect photos of front camera mounting brackets because you can waste a lot of pennies trying to fine ones that work well for feet free photos.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Gopro Camera Tubing / Handlebar Mount

I have two sizes one for the Boom dia and one for the slider dia. I will mount from boom center on down the boom close to crank. It's all a balance of getting the feet and legs from distracting the view.

modpro-600x600.jpg

If feet show up, then do a video called Flying feet:

ratz

Gopro Camera Tubing / Handlebar Mount

I avoided those for awhile because of the price (yeah no comments) and because they looked so "metal" and "heavy" yeah I give up; after trying about 10 other solutions none of which worked well and I cry uncle and am going to order those. :confused: Now I just need that new virb camera to go with them. :cool:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I avoided those for awhile because of the price (yeah no comments) and because they looked so "metal" and "heavy" yeah I give up; after trying about 10 other solutions none of which worked well and I cry uncle and am going to order those. :confused: Now I just need that new virb camera to go with them. :cool:
The price is not bad considering you are gambling that your $300-500 camera won't fall off. I've had three various plastic mounts break, luckily I had the Go Pro tethered to the bike and didn't loose it. The metal aluminum alloy is C:D:DL. However, you can order it in black which looks like plastic if you prefer :D! The weight is negligible, the image is large, which makes it look big :p! You can order different size clamps separately.

Bruce B

Here is my solution for front and rear video.

Rear Camera
IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG
Minoura 22-29mm Long Handlebar Spacegrip-3
K-Edge Handlebar bracket
Camera with Rideye GoPro adapter

I had several extra Dinotte mounting brackets (see light). I amputated the nut & bolt portion and created a a few semicircles to shim the Minoura Spacegrip to the headrest frame and the K-Edgebracket to the mounting bar of the Minoura

The K-Edge is mounted upside down in order to keep the video right side up.

So far 75 miles with the rear camera (shipping problem with one of the GoPro adapters -finally resolved). It is very stable. The 1080p video is really nice.

Front Camera:
IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0206 (1).jpg
Origin8 Eyelet Bracket
K-Edge Handlebar bracket
Camera with Rideye GoPro adapter

As you can see the eyelet bar is firmly bolted to the built in tab. I used Lock-Tite Blue and a nylon locknut as a belt & suspenders approach.

I have around 200 miles with the front camera. Of course no lower extremities interfering with the road view. The video is quite stable, subject to road conditions.

With the camera out front I know it is going to be vulnerable in a collision.

Another point is that the camera is at the end of a long pivot and might appear to be subject to wide sweeps even with small steering inputs. The wide angle view of the camera seems to minimize that possibility.

O/T The new Dinotte lights are much smaller and much, much lighter than the old 200 models. They are not quite as bright but other bikers do appreciate that fact.

ratz

Very nice explanation. I'm working on some of that sory of setup again tonight to finalize my setup. Hopefully I'll have some picture to add; as I try an get something aero together that works with my bottles and lights.

The K-Edge is mounted upside down in order to keep the video right side up.

If you upgrade to the newest firmware on the Rideye when you turn it on upside down it will recognize that and invert the video for you; I discovered that totally on accident film RAAM routes from the car. You can hang a rideye upside down from the rear view mirror stem and it takes excellent road footage.

Bruce B

If you upgrade to the newest firmware on the Rideye when you turn it on upside down it will recognize that and invert the video for you

Thanks Bob.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Did you find a clamp size that works on the Silvio 2.1?
Bob, I did not purchase a clamp for the Silvio yet...But if I did I would go with the 1.5 and use it for both the slider and boom. For the slider I would wrap tape around it to build it a up a little.

ratz

Bob, I did not purchase a clamp for the Silvio yet...But if I did I would go with the 1.5 and use it for both the slider and boom. For the slider I would wrap tape around it to build it a up a little.

That's what I settled on but put a note in asking if they make a 1.375"

SamP

Guru
I mounted my Mobius today, using a cheap handlebar mount. The Mobius supports a standard camera tripod bolt mount. The video shows my feet and knee popping up at the bottom. I might be able to angle the camera up a little to leave out the feet.

vlcsnap-2015-05-26-02h46m22s593.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-26-02h48m53s578.jpg

Some video samples from today's ride (selected to show how well it handles changing exposure conditions... decently, but not as well as GoPros do)

W&OD Trail, entering from the Douglass Community Center (lower quality YouTube)

W&OD Trail, approaching pit BBQ (lower quality YouTube)

The handlebar mount doesn't fit around the front tube on USS Yiggy (conversion kit) but it will fit on the chainstay so I could set it up right under the bottom bracket. However, the mount only allows up to about a 45 degree angle from vertical, so I might not be able to aim the camera straight forward, it could be aimed a bit downwards.

Last edited:

SamP

Guru
I mounted my Mobius on the front chainstay this afternoon, almost under the bottom bracket. As I feared, the ball joint on the mount didn't allow me to aim low enough (previous post I got the orientation wrong in my head) so the camera pointed up in the sky and you couldn't see the ground, but you did see a chainwheel and my feet and pedals on each side. I'll post some media later.

I'm not sure where to mount for a good rear view. I could put it on the rear chainstay but the rear wheel will be interfering. I'll just have to scrounge for some other mounting devices.