Grips slipping

MurrayF

My apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. I did do a search without success!

Could I have some advice on stopping the grips from slipping off, please.

261yw6c.jpg

I've heard hairspray's a goer... any experience?

Thanks in advance

WhiteSilvio

MurrayF wrote:
I've heard hairspray's a goer... any experience?

Thanks in advance
Hi Murray,
Yes, hairspray does work quite well. It allows the grip to slide on before it sets and then holds it in place.

Conversely, removal of the grip can be achieved by inserting a small screwdriver between the 'bar and the grip and gently working your way around to break the "glue". Then twist off.

Regards,
John.
PS Are you riding in the Mt.Coot-tha Challenge tomorrow 21/03? I elected not to. The only bit that would be a bit different from the ride I have been doing is the ride through the Clem7 tunnel.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
My grips were slipping also hairspray worked on the left one. The right still slipped so replaced it with one from Performance.Installed it with achohol and it dosent slip now. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: My grips were slipping also hairspray worked on the left one. The right still slipped so replaced it with one from Performance.Installed it with achohol and it dosent slip now. Jack

I have found that installing things with alcohol isn't alway the best idea.

Oh wait, you were talking about something else, weren't you? :shock: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i used paint tape to make it handlebar thicker, and then the grips does not slide off.

teacherbill

JonB wrote: i used paint tape to make it handlebar thicker, and then the grips does not slide off.

Duct tape sticks again..... I use it for about everything to take up unnecessary space.

buyagain

I sure am glad to see all the help around here. Hey Murray did not someone in your family use to make bikes or something?
Now about all this usen alcohol on everything. Don't get me started!!!!!
I should have warned you, Murray, to take some of this help around with a grain of salt. No....Wait a minute... we need to save that for taquila, right?

I've forgotten what the question was. I had trouble keeping my helmet on one time. I found that enough hair spay did the trick. That is until I had to take it back off again.

Don't listen to Teacher bill. He will take his grips completely off and ride around with naked handlebars.
The only thing alcohol helps me do is loose my grip.
That reminds me that Defjack has gotten to the age that "depends" is all he's got between him and disaster when he looses his grip. Wait..... that's not the topic either.

Hi Jon, aren't you one of the first to build an entire bike out of Painters tape. No......wait.... that was duct tape wasn't it. Anyway I've always been suspicious of all those duct tape claims. Especially the one about the Complete Duct taped airplane. LOL :lol:
Lets see now..... the topic was "get a grip", right?

Sorry for all this, guys, the next post will be more serious. LOL

MurrayF

LOL... ahh, thanks for all the advice. I found this picture showing use # 1000 + 1 for duct tape.

2cnadj.jpg

In the theatre business we use black gaffer (gaffa!) tape. We've even got a matt finish that doesn't reflect the light!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
MurrayF wrote: LOL... ahh, thanks for all the advice. I found this picture showing use # 1000 + 1 for duct tape.

I'm thinking that's going to hurt a little when she peels it off!

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
MurrayF wrote: LOL... ahh, thanks for all the advice. I found this picture showing use # 1000 + 1 for duct tape.

I'm thinking that's going to hurt a little when she peels it off!
I would gladly offer to help her :D