Hammer time

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think the Mallet is just for show and the hammer and a piece of wood are the real work horses!
I thought glue was used to bond the floating floor together instead of using a huge nail gun!!!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I think the Mallet is just for show and the hammer and a piece of wood are the real work horses!
I thought glue was used to bond the floating floor together instead of using a huge nail gun!!!

Not floating; that's the real stuff ¾ inch. Skills obtained working my way through college; swore I'd never do it again... But the wife smiles and I comply.

ratz

That is a vapor barrier and sound muffler; underneath is what we call "corn board" in these parts. I prefer plywood but we had to match the height of the pre-exisiting wood floor. But it turned out pretty good. 2 week project; mostly to let the wood acclimatize; 66 hours over two Fri-Sun efforts demolition, prep, and design weekend #1 and full install weekend #2... I'm getting too old; that's was harder on the knees than riding a trike up hill with bad gearing. I don't seem to have a picture of the wood.... But now you know why there hasn't been a winter bike build diary and this is about as much of a living room remodel diary as anyone would probably tolerate :confused:... and sadly one can't train and do that kind of labor for 20 hours a day both.

IMG_5903.jpgIMG_5904.jpgIMG_5909.jpg15420837_10154187155089021_5023121336153667059_n.jpg15349591_10154187155039021_3048610074082439379_n.jpg15400416_10154187155269021_5478754007217313188_n.jpg1928390_10154207770424021_7713182134050731866_n.jpg15826085_10154252869549021_8093253245039501167_n.jpg

ratz

Looks great. There were a lot of stockings to fill on that mantle!
LOL I forget how that looks, yes the brood is big; if we let the kids exchange gifts we'd probably have to to do the draw names from a hat thing.
Grandma makes those; when someone enters the family. Considering some of those were made 40 years apart they match amazingly well.

ratz

Bob, VERY specky, creative layout and colour scheme!!!!
Who chose it?
Sort of chose itself. The boarder was the only way to do the transition from the existing light to the dark, we ran it around the whole room to give it the visual infinity when it hit the existing trim. Didn't want to redo the trim because of the added expense and it would unbalance the rest of the house. The bad part is that boarder turn a 1.5 day project into 6 days of installation and planning so the boards would align perfectly when running perpendicular; and then every single one had to be cut perfectly to length and fitted. So some times you cut a board four times inching closer to perfect; they swear and set it aside for when you need a shorter one on the next row. Worth it in the end, now we can play off that on things like two-tone stairs and landings... But not until after Sebring for sure.

You could have borrowed the Gnomes knee pads to kneel on!
Problem is that the saw dust and dirt would scratch that pre-finished stuff. The stuff you install and sand heck yeah I'd been wearing knee pads; still have the good tools; I did this for 9 years highschool and college; you don't throw the tools out (nail gun is 20 years old) and with luck the skillz improve as you become more careful and thoughtful with age. For a straight install we saved about $900; for that boarder I'd say we saved about $4k so worth it I suppose. But it really makes it go from a room we hate to a room we enjoy; and it's the only common room we have; and it gets crowded when everyone is here; so all the better.

Is there going to be any advances on 8 stockings?
Negative :emoji_head_bandage:

Next summer we might host a riding retreat here then you have no excuse to come judge for yourself. Of course you might learn the secret of the mallet; there might be more than one.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Blimey! Handyman isn't the word. And you are right about the knees. I hate working on floors or laying paving or that sort of thing. So uncomfortable.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Sort of chose itself. The boarder was the only way to do the transition from the existing light to the dark, we ran it around the whole room to give it the visual infinity when it hit the existing trim. Didn't want to redo the trim because of the added expense and it would unbalance the rest of the house. The bad part is that boarder turn a 1.5 day project into 6 days of installation and planning so the boards would align perfectly when running perpendicular; and then every single one had to be cut perfectly to length and fitted. So some times you cut a board four times inching closer to perfect; they swear and set it aside for when you need a shorter one on the next row. Worth it in the end, now we can play off that on things like two-tone stairs and landings... But not until after Sebring for sure.

Problem is that the saw dust and dirt would scratch that pre-finished stuff. The stuff you install and sand heck yeah I'd been wearing knee pads; still have the good tools; I did this for 9 years highschool and college; you don't throw the tools out (nail gun is 20 years old) and with luck the skillz improve as you become more careful and thoughtful with age. For a straight install we saved about $900; for that boarder I'd say we saved about $4k so worth it I suppose. But it really makes it go from a room we hate to a room we enjoy; and it's the only common room we have; and it gets crowded when everyone is here; so all the better.

Negative :emoji_head_bandage:

Next summer we might host a riding retreat here then you have no excuse to come judge for yourself. Of course you might learn the secret of the mallet; there might be more than one.

Have you spoken to the boss about the number of stockings???!!

What is the power source for that heavy looking nail gun? and how heavy is it?

I think that the time spent on the border has been well worth it!!!
Will you stop at the stairs only?

If you ever sell the house, the two tone lounge treatment would raise the house value by more than $4,000!