Help Needed for Century & 6-Hour record attempt

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi All,
Since it has been a "slow" year for me, I scheduled a Century and 6-hour track record attempt.
I will be attempting to break the fastest UMCA time recorded (any bike, any age rider) for a century. The record currently stands at 3:46:16 by Micheal Secrest back in 2011. It was on a indoor velodrome. My attempt will be on an outdoor one. Call it my recumbent handicap. And also the most miles in 6-hour by Micthell Anderson- 154.177 back in March of this year

I need some crew help.
I know it is late notice, but the velodrome just confirmed my date not too long ago.

The event will take place at the Ed Rudolph Velodrome in Northbrook , IL (not too far from Chicago) on Sunday August 6th - from 7am-1pm. (Yeah - not too pleased about the date - but it was all they had for me)

If anyone on this forum can lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated.
Email or call for more details.
larryoslund@gmail.com
828-216-7860

CruzLike

Guru
Good luck Larry
With any luck, I plan to be completing my own event. Saturday morning at 7, I plan to see how far I can go in 24.
If something changes I will consider. Since you're up in my neck of the woods.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I still wish y'all would come down (or over, in Larry's case) for the Clarksville Sunrise Century (Sept 2, 2017) ...it was run in 3:43:41 back in 2014. Wasn't part of the UMCA and was done by a peloton of DFs. Still, it is a recumbent friendly event!

Good luck, Larry!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Best luck Larry . May you have a fine windless day. Hands across the water mate.

I'm doing the same unassisted 100 miles just carrying everything but will stop likely at four hours. Sub four hour goal only.

May you beat the record mate.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
3:43 ... that's eye watering... yep that will be a record for sure. What are you going to smash it by ... 20 seconds perhaps:rolleyes: I guess you might be limited by wind speed. Chicago is the windy city so perhaps best you have that early time even if it seems inconvenient.

Wishing you the best and no flats please
:cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:

LarryOz

3:43 ... that's eye watering... yep that will be a record for sure.
That 3:43 was a group ride that Marc mentioned.
UMCA records have to be solo attempts. That record stands at 3:46:16. - still eye watering.
I did a 3:47:46 on my local track without any support about 2 years ago "just for fun". I was stronger then I think, so I hope I can break it.
The Northbrook track is faster than my track, so I hope that will give me the little bit of extra advantage I need to break the record.
An official record attempt has to have 3 UMCA officials present. 2 people writing down every lap time, etc, etc.
I just had one of my officials drop out due to an earlier commitment they forgot about.
I still need 1 more official and a support person, or I will have to cancel the attempt and reschedule for another time. :(:eek:

Kenneth Jessett

Larry, I've ridden a few velodromes and the requirement has always been to use a fixed geared wheel, are you doing that?

"Bicycles for velodromes have no brakes. They employ a single fixed rear gear, or cog, that does not freewheel. This helps maximise speed, reduces weight, and avoids sudden braking while nevertheless allowing the rider to slow by pushing back against the pedals.

LarryOz

Larry, I've ridden a few velodromes and the requirement has always been to use a fixed geared wheel, are you doing that?
Thanks Ken - Yes many velodromes do not even allow a non-fixed bikes.
Northbrook is different as it is not a "real" velodrome in the sense of the super high bank corners, etc. It is banked but not nearly as much, which makes riding at sub-30 mph speeds much easier actually.
I was considering trying to convert my Cruzbike to a fixed gear just for the the advantage of not have to have the derailleurs, brakes, etc, but I just do not have time.
Michael Secrest rode a fixed gear bike on a indoor veledrome when he set the Century record at 3:46:16.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Wonder if anyone has tried fixed gear cruzbiking. I know I'm not ready for that.
Yes. I tried that on my Conversion. I actually bought one of those Sturmey Archer S3X "three speed fixed" hubs. I only rode it for a little while, maybe putting 50 miles on it total. It was simply too much for me to manage (pedaling all the time), but quite doable otherwise. I didn't have any serious trouble riding it.
Since then, I transferred it to my 2nd V2/k, added an external freewheel (redundantly converting it to a 'normal' 3sp) and use it when I want to just cruise the MUT. For some reason, adding the freewheel made the S3X shift much better. As a fixie, I could never get it to reliably shift into the high gear.

I chose the 3sp based on my ability to start off. I experimented with the standard shifty V2/k (11sp + triple) and played around as if it were a single speed. I found out the highest gear I could safely start with (which was quite low) but that would top me out at less than 10mph. I knew the 3sp would allow me to ride at a decent clip once started. Worked fine.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Hi Larry
Where do you stand on your trip? Did you get a crewman and an official?
Ken, it has been touch and go as I had several people drop out at the last minute.
But I do now have 3 officials and 1 support crew which is the bare minimum.
Thank-you to Tony Holloway who also volunteered to make the 4-5 hour drive up to help if needed!
I am up in Northbrook now (a 12 hour drive got me here around 6pm.)
Tomorrow morning I am doing a 19K TT with fellow recmbent racer John Burrell (who rides an M1) for a warm-up and then will head over to the track to practice a few things with my crew and test the timing devices.
After spending most of last week's spare time building, re-building, testing and riding - here is what I plan to ride:
  • Cruzbike front-end
  • Thom Ollinger's (now Cruzbike's) proto-type rear-end.
  • Boyd Wheels with covers
  • Kent Polk's railgun seat
  • Larry's stubby handlebars
  • Casco speedtime helmet
I think this is the fastest Cruzbike every for me. :)
Latest Cruzbike.jpg

view from seat: not much to this profile
Latest Cruzbike - rear view-s.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Is there a chain retention device as there is an odd issue with my setup. On my carbon set of wheels with qxl ring on setting no 5, not a problem. But if I use my aluminium wheelset with QXL ring setting number 4 the chain bounces out when cadence is high when shifting. Very irritating and why I haven't smashed my PB recently.

I haven't reverted to QXL setting no 5 as I like the feel of spinning on setting no 4.

You probably have SRAM deuralliers and cassette too so that might reduce the issue. I do know you use your QXL on settings no 5 so Godspeed with you as they say "engage!"

Kenneth Jessett

Larry, where are the water bottle cages - or are you going sans eau for the loops?

By the way, the welding on the main frame looks a little iffy. Did you do it yourself? :rolleyes:

Bill K

Guru
Looks like there is a strip of velcro on the seat pan. You're gonna need a matching piece of velcro on you shorts so you don't fly right off the bike at the speeds you will be going:)
Nice looking bike. That old 6-hour track record is in serious jeopardy.
Gook luck Larry!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Best of luck for the time trial, and I hope the welds don't break!!!!!

I think the Chromed helmet will increase your speed 2 kph, due to the smooth surface!!!

Last edited: