Help with seat issue Silvio 1.5

Wheelie

I own a Silvio 1.5 and I am learning to ride. I have about 75 miles on the bike so far. I could use a solution to my shoulder blade pain, I am 6'1" tall and the seat ends directly under my shoulder blades. I have some relief from an ADEM headrest that hits me high on my shoulders, and supports my back, but now that area is getting tender. What modifications do taller riders do to the seat back to relieve the discomfort? Or am I the only one?? (mostly on my right side, relieved any time I lift off the seat back). Thank you!!

Wheelie

here I am in my Easter clothes! Please let me know what you think, the seat seems to end very low on my back, I can see why it digs in causing shoulder blade pain.
WIN_20170416_14_04_43_Pro.jpg WIN_20170416_14_04_54_Pro.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The fit looks very suspect to me. Is the seat perhaps mounted too far forward? You look scrunched up not to mention the ADEM is called a neck rest (some call it a head rest) . Now I guess it is a back rest? I don't think it will hold up over time this way.

Wheelie

So...with a Silvio 1.5, is there a way to mount the seat differently? And yes, the ADEM is a standard size,I really need to go up to the xl size. I have not because I think that will still be too short.
The seatback seems to end too low.I look like a giant! Any help will be great as I am in pain when riding, and yes, that will not last. Does anyone have a side view of a properly fit bike? I have no dealers near me so the forum is my help!

The 1.5 has the seat welded to the frame, so no, it is not adjustable. You can adjust the length of the boom, and you can slide it forward and back (which will change the height of the bottom bracket and X-seam distance). You can also add a chainstay extension, if you have long legs. I am 5'8" and do not have a long legs nor a chainstay extension, and am pleased with the fit of the bike.

This is me on my bike. JJonesCT, I think you need a chainstay extension so your bottom bracket will be lower and so you can straighten your arms. It may be a personal preference, but I would be most unhappy with my arms that bent.
Silvio.jpg

Yes, I store my Silvio indoors. Vendetta too! I hang them on my wall in my office! :)

trplay

Zen MBB Master
John's fit looks much more like I would think is correct. Mr. Jones, you appear just too darn big for the bike? How about it, fit gurus chime in and help him out.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Is the seat perhaps mounted too far forward?
I don't think so. The mounting position looks the same as my 1.5 did--front of the seat ending at the "C" in Cruzbike, back of the seat in the same relative position to the stays. And like @John Dorlon said, it's welded on there.

You can also add a chainstay extension
I think he has one, from what I can see zoomed in on the photo.

the seat seems to end very low on my back
The handlebars are awfully close to you. Looks like they need to be moved away, and the reach to the pedals may also need to be lengthened. You're sitting very high in the seat. What's your x-seam?

On a side note, your front shock looks flat.

Wheelie

As shown, I already added a 100mm extension. I can get my legs out fully and correctly for my xseam, but the rest of me seems too big!
If I move the handlebars forward I hit my knees on the bars. There is just too much of me! Thanks John and Moose!
Any other comments, or suggestions are very welcome!

Wheelie

OK, I am a bigger person...6'1" 210 lbs and 45.5 xseam. Castlerobber, you had a Silvio 1.5,do I have any options here?
The boom is out correctly, about 45" from the seatback. Thanks for the shock advice!

Hm, well, there is also a 150mm extension, if you can find one. That might make you a little more comfortable in the arms (assuming they are uncomfortable), but it doesn't address your original question about the backrest. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions on that one, short of some sort of clever seat modification. Nice thing about that seat though, it's metal, so you can put holes in it and attach things to it pretty easily. I've added holes in mine for a 3rd water bottle.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I found an old Silvio 1.5 fit chart. With your height and x-seam, and that 100mm chainstay extender, the bike should fit you.

I can get my legs out fully and correctly for my xseam,
If I move the handlebars forward I hit my knees on the bars.

Your knee is already at 90 degrees with the pedals straight up and down, so it would be way bent with the other leg at full extension. Still sounds like the pedals are too close to you, and that's why your knees are hitting the handlebars at a comfortable arm reach. You should be able to slide down in the seat another couple of inches, with the neckrest somewhere near your neck, once the front is adjusted to fit you. Take a look at the fitting procedure, starting at this post, and see if it's any help:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s30-boom-adjustment.11137/#post-124135

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
At 6.1 with what looks like a very even split between you torso length and leg length, the bike would call for a 150mm chain stay which makes it roughly equivalent to a S30/V20 with the large chain stay. That is going to pivot you to a slightly more comfortable weight distribution on the seat and lesson the load on your back by get the weight of you legs farther forward; but it's still going to be fit where the headrest isn't going to do much; the idea always way that the 45 degree seat didn't need one.

The challenge with the 150mm is finding one or making ones.

TalleyHo

At 6.1 with what looks like a very even split between you torso length and leg length, the bike would call for a 150mm chain stay which makes it roughly equivalent to a S30/V20 with the large chain stay. That is going to pivot you to a slightly more comfortable weight distribution on the seat and lesson the load on your back by get the weight of you legs farther forward; but it's still going to be fit where the headrest isn't going to do much; the idea always way that the 45 degree seat didn't need one.

The challenge with the 150mm is finding one or making ones.
I actually have one that I'll part with, the very one that shows in my avatar. I have modded to a 100 mm over the winter, along with new 11 speed set up with PM crank arms, seat mod to raise recline angle, btw. So far so good. I doubt I'll want to go back to very high bb. The raised handle bars are less than ideal but can switch to curved slider to fix that if desired later.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
here I am in my Easter clothes! Please let me know what you think, the seat seems to end very low on my back, I can see why it digs in causing shoulder blade pain.
View attachment 4700 View attachment 4701

Can you take a side photo with your right leg fully extended, as it looks like the BB is too close to you!
You need to loosen the clamp at the head stem, to move the slider and boom together, so the heel on the extended leg, can just reach the pedal in its fully extended position.

If you have the standard Cruzbike seat cushions, I would replace them with a thick Ventisit pad designed for the V1.5, OR add 4 layers of 10 mm thick Ventisit pad material inside the the existing Cruzbike seat cushion outers, gluing each layer together.

Tuloose

Guru
I just installed a 100mm extension on my Silvio 1.0 which brings the bars down a bit making for a more comfortable position.
I rode it 70 miles this weekend and, while not as comfortable as my Silvio 2.0, it wasn't bad.
I had a bit of recumbutt at the 55 mile mark and I do notice the top of the seat pressing into my back some but not to the point of real discomfort.
I am 5'10" and I think my xseam is 44".
You will need to add length to your chain if you add an extension - I added 8 links.
I sized the chain by running the chain around the big ring and the big cog without going thru the rear derailleur.
Pull it snug, see where the links line up and add 1 link.
Don't forget to open the quick release on the wheel when making adjustments to the boom.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The 4th 10 mm thick Ventisit padding made a difference, for going over hundreds of Radiata Pine roots across a bike path, when going to work each day!

A 20 kg kettle weight with a 100 mm base dia, would compress 1 off 10 mm to 4 mm, even after a 3 months test. This relates to 80 kgs on a 225 mm dia or 175mm * 175mm area.
When testing the 20 kg kettle bell with 4 layers, the compression was 4 * 6 = 24 mm!

With the 20 kg kettle bell, the Cruzike old (Softrider V1.0, Quest V1.0, Silvio V1.0), open cell foam compressed from 23 mm to 2mm, so no ventilation when sitting on the bike, and the closed cell foam, went from 10 mm to 7 mm, so very little give when hitting a bump.

In Australia, where it is hotter than hades, the Ventisit style foam pad is a godsend for ventilation, ease of cleaning, AND comfort as there is give in the pad, and it does not collapse to nothing like exercise matting!

The 4 layer Ventisit style pad (ASC10 material) fixed my shoulder blade problems as at 6'1" the seat finished half way up my backP1030862.JPG
old and new open mesh seat cushion .JPG

Last edited:

Wheelie

I found an old Silvio 1.5 fit chart. With your height and x-seam, and that 100mm chainstay extender, the bike should fit you.

Your knee is already at 90 degrees with the pedals straight up and down, so it would be way bent with the other leg at full extension. Still sounds like the pedals are too close to you, and that's why your knees are hitting the handlebars at a comfortable arm reach. You should be able to slide down in the seat another couple of inches, with the neckrest somewhere near your neck, once the front is adjusted to fit you. Take a look at the fitting procedure, starting at this post, and see if it's any help:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s30-boom-adjustment.11137/#post-124135
I am going to work on the bike fit and my position. I measured my xseam using the chair and wall method you sent. 47.75" without shoes. Thanks!
I actually have one that I'll part with, the very one that shows in my avatar. I have modded to a 100 mm over the winter, along with new 11 speed set up with PM crank arms, seat mod to raise recline angle, btw. So far so good. I doubt I'll want to go back to very high bb. The raised handle bars are less than ideal buWIN_20170417_20_25_16_Pro.jpg WIN_20170417_20_26_23_Pro.jpg t can switch to curved slider to fix that if desired later.
Thanks TalleyHo!! how can I contact you concerning the 150mm extension?
For everyone else, Thanks for all the tips! I am posting new pics of my riding position. I have moved forward in the seat (and down). I added 2.5 inches to the boom. My xseam is now measured at 47.5", per the Cruzbike method. I have not taken this configuration out for a ride yet, possibly tonight. What do you think?