I did it - it's a folder

chrisblessing

My goal with this frame and conversion project was to build a recumbent that could fold small enough to lash to my motorbike for taking out of town for distance rides. I reached this goal after modifying the folding steerer tube that came with the bike so that it now works with the conversion. Removing the rack and wheels almost gets it into my Dahon Airporter Mini. Wheels and seat would have to travel separately.

alt="folded SpeedOne"
folded1_small.JPG width: 671px;

alt="folded 3"
folded3_small.JPG width: 788px;

Vargas

Which adaptations did you

Which adaptations did you have to do?
I remember a previous posting where you said a friend made a support for the seat. Whatelse was custome made?
It looks really nice!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Chris,
Can we get more

Hi Chris,

Can we get more shots of both the folding stem (both folded and unfolded) as well as how you mount the seat?

thanks!
Charles

chrisblessing

Adaptations

Hi Jose,

I made two adaptations. The first was to have a seat-to-frame mount that can be easily removed from the frame. Some of my earlier photos show the adaptor. I've modified it further so that all I need do is release the quick-release at the stem and lift the seat off. I suspect that having a square tube makes this more feasible. Secondly, I had to modify the folding steerer tube below the swivel clamp to accommodate the boom clamp.

For seriously compact packing I can unbolt the boom slider from the steerer tube, and the frame and triangle all fold neatly together. Removing the rack and wheels shortens the package.

chrisblessing

More photos - folding steerer

Here you go Charles...of the steerer tube

alt="Folding steerer tube"
folding_stem2.JPG height: 686px;

alt="Folding Steerer Tube"
folding_stem4.JPG height: 607px;

chrisblessing

...and the seat mount

Here is the seat mount. It's worth noting that I previously had a plate that bolted up to the mount with four bolts, but, as the thing is a bit overbuilt (read: heavy), I decided to try losing the plate. So far no movement of the seat at all, so I'll stay with this for now.

alt="Seat Mount"
seat1_small.JPG height: 385px;

alt="Seat Mount"
seat2_small.JPG

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Chris,
Boy, am I glad I

Hi Chris,

Boy, am I glad I asked for more pictures. :)

In general I think that John is right that folding stems won't provide enough umph for a Cruzbike because of the stresses we put on the handlebars. But your solution looks like it might be solid enough. I think you did really well for yourself here.

O.k. I want more details on the stem. Threaded/threadless? How much? Where? Enquiring minds want to know! I'll also be interested in updates as you get more experience with it.

Cheers,
Charles

chrisblessing

folding stem

Charles, the steerer tube is that which came with the bike - big, fat and thick-wall aluminium, made to fit the frame's 1 1/8" head tube, and too fat to accommodate the boom clamp. I had a local machine shop remove the portion below the hinge and re-weld a smaller diameter tube. The guy did a gorgeous welding job. I haven't taken the bike out yet, but have pushed and pulled and yanked on the handlebars a dozen different ways and I don't detect any flex. As you can see, the hinge is substantial and the knob can be cranked down really hard.

I agree with John's observations, and the Terracycle GlideFlex solution I had proposed would likely have had issues. With a ratcheting clamp below, and an adjustable headset on top, there would be too much flex and two potential points of failure. I can only hope that what I have now is strong and flex-free enough to take it. But, honestly, other than when I'm climbing and pulling myself forward, it doesn't occur to me that I'm putting that much pressure on the handlebars.

Because I wanted to keep the option of reverting the frame back to a conventional folding bike, I ordered a second steerer tube for the bike, knowing I'd be forever altering the original for this project. I'm pretty confident that I could ask the SpeedOne folks if they could make more available. I paid $28 USD plus shipping.

I'll keep you posted regarding riding and handling characteristics. The best news will be that it handles as before.

chrisblessing

Testing the modified steerer tube

I've taken the bike on a couple of rides where I've been able to stress the entire steering mechanism as much as I'm ever likely to, and have experienced no issues. I actually even gained a couple of cm of height. I do have some very slight contact with the folding hinge but it's negligible. So it appears to be a clean, strong and extremely useful modification.

albtan

Help needed from Malaysia

Hi Chris,

I hope to contact you for some advice and help to assemble a similar folding recumbent using the Cruzbike conversion kit and I am not sure how to start off. Perhaps you can help by letting me know the brand and model of your folding bike that you have successfully converted.

As I am also located in KL, is there any chance I can call you to arrange to have a look at your bike and also advice on how to get started ?

Your help will be much appreciated as I am getting alot of pain in my neck after an hour on my road bike and the recumbent seems to be the answer to extend my cycling days !

Cheers,
Albert Tan
016-2090077

Gromit

Guru
Hi Albert
Here is Chris

Hi Albert

Here is Chris Blessing's thread about building his conversion.
http://www.cruzbike.com/speedone-fs-mini-velo-suspension-folding-frame-set-20406

chrisblessing

Meet up

Hi Albert,

I'm in Mont'Kiara. If you can make a trip over I'd happily show you the bike and go over the steps I took to build it. I just got back from Thailand so it's still in it's suitcase, but it'll be back together by this weekend.

It would be fun to meet and talk. You can even try it out.

As for the frame, I suspect that SpeedOne no longer offers this frame. I'll check but I haven't seen it for some time. That said, after looking at mine you shouldn't have an issue finding a suitable one. KL is swarming with foldies.

Chris (0132226541)