I put a car horn on my Silvio

Jeremy S

Dude
Actually, Loud Bicycle's "Loud Mini", which sounds like and is as loud as a car horn. I saw a prototype of Loud Bicycle's first horn (now sold as the "Classic") some years ago. I liked the idea: why should I be riding in traffic with cars, but unable to communicate like a car? However, the original horn was quite large and I couldn't work out how I would mount it on a Cruzbike.

Eventually the Loud Mini came out, a bit smaller and with a more flexible GoPro mount. It still took me a while to work out how to mount it on the Silvio. I ruled out any location on the boom or handlebars because of leg or sightline interference (the horn is about 6" by 4"). I also ruled out any location behind the seat, because I want the horn pointing forward and away from my head. That left the middle of the bike, under the seat. I happened to have a GoPro arm/leg strap lying around, which fits the frame tube and even has a rubber pad to cushion it against the frame. Then I snaked the cable (plus extension) up the frame to where I could reach the horn button on the handlebars.

I was worried about debris getting kicked up by the front wheel into the horn, so I stuck on a custom foam "grille". No idea how effective it is, but it was easy to rig up and gives me some piece of mind.

So far I've used the horn a few times: a brief tap at a car sitting at a green light that got the car to pull away, and a couple of honks at a truck and a bus that passed too close (buses always pass extremely close around here, for reasons that I understand but don't excuse the drivers for). More importantly, the next time some oblivious driver tries to pull over into me, instead of yelling in vain (they never seem to hear me), I can honk and I should be heard and noticed.

Not for anyone who is especially weight conscious, aero conscious, or price conscious.

IMG_4227.jpgIMG_4223.jpg
IMG_4231.jpg

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I would buy one if the could make it go "beep, beep" (Road Runner) sound instead!

Suz

That's awesome. Yelling definitely doesn't get through a closed window and a radio/phone.
The other day I wished I had blinkers.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For the trails and non motorized people I've been completely please with the Oi bell. super loud and stealthy

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Looks nice, might get one of those to stick on the other handlebar.
Should be mention it sounds awful holding the bike and standing next to it; but ring it while riding and it's a beauty; I have no idea why

super slim

Zen MBB Master
P1170033.JPG

P1170034.JPG

My option to go with compressed air as the motive power for an variable loadness "Air Zound" Air horn, from ebay.
The right side has a Ring- Ring OLD conventional bicycle bell for OLD people on a bike path so they recognize the bell sound!

The load air horn, with a hard to set variable pinch valve to vary the volume of air flow, and hence loudness, is for cars that turn left( in the GREAT Land Down Under, we drive on the correct side of the road, LEFT) across my path, OR when passing (at 20+ kph faster) slow DF riders on ANY decent, as screaming at the top of my voice, or ringing my bell loudly, is not heard until I am next to them, and they get surprised.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Zoun...d=332118441836&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

BikeGary

I've used an "Air Zound" horn on my regular commuter bike for years. I haven't decided whether to move it to my S30 or not as I'm not using it as much as I used to. Plus the whole, where to mount it issue. Great horn though. They tend to last 3 years or so with regular use and then something happens, either I fall directly on a key piece or it comes apart at a pressurized location. No surprises, it's more like a tube leak and one day it no longer works. For in city commuting it's great.

NeaL

Guru
For the trails and non motorized people I've been completely please with the Oi bell. super loud and stealthy
I ordered myself a Knog Oi bell based on this. It's supposed to be arriving today or tomorrow.

I ordered a smaller one, due to my handlebar diameter. Does anyone know if the two sizes are of significantly different pitches? I might want both and just shim it, just so I can get a little more musical with them.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
How many times do you honk on your ride? Perhaps a small pressurized bottle down the downtube attached to a press to talk actuator could be good. I am thinking of similar technology used for blowing up tubeless tires. I like my handlebars to be clean so it would be good to fit it elsewhere. If i present an idea such as this then its probability of occurring could become a certainty. So after 5 honks you have to use one of your CO2 cannisters to recharge it. Or perhaps you could have a CO2 honker that could be 300db in one blast (press harder for that one).

Frank Costantini

Jeremy, thanks for the suggestion - I got the Mini-Loud and I love it! It fits nicely on the boom of my QX100. I use it just about every time I commute to work by bike, through heavy traffic in the Bronx - for cars backing up in a bike lane, buses that may not see me, etc. It really gets their attention, and I think it could be a life-saver!

BikeGary

I ordered myself a Knog Oi bell based on this. It's supposed to be arriving today or tomorrow.

I ordered a smaller one, due to my handlebar diameter. Does anyone know if the two sizes are of significantly different pitches? I might want both and just shim it, just so I can get a little more musical with them.
I prefer not having to move my hands off the brakes to hit the bell. That's why I'm using the bell that Cruzbike sells. I have it mounted on the end of my handlebar where I can grab it with my little finger and still have two fingers on the brake handles.

NeaL

Guru
Cru
I prefer not having to move my hands off the brakes to hit the bell. That's why I'm using the bell that Cruzbike sells. I have it mounted on the end of my handlebar where I can grab it with my little finger and still have two fingers on the brake handles.

Cruzbike sells a bell???

I have since gotten both sizes of Oi bells. I neatly wrapped a section of handlebar with layers of black electrical tape to shim it until the larger Oi bell fit snugly. The striker for each bell was right at my thumbs, just beyond the shifter triggers, easy to reach. I liked being able to come up with little two-note melodies and rhythms as I rode along. And in copper, they look great with my leather 'Brooks' handlebar grips!

However... The spring-loaded strikers didn't last long on either one of them. The wire springs have gotten bent out of shape and neither bell works anymore. Unless they have improved the design or offer to replace them for free or at a reduced price, I'm not going to waste my money buying new ones. I need something much more dependable.

BikeGary

Opps, I got it from Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ELNGSVM
"Mirrycle Incredibell Adjustabell 2 Bike Bell " The spring seems to be holding up so far. I've only had it one year though. And it's only good for pedestrians and bicyclists. But I prefer not to use a horn when passing them as it causes them to "jump" and I never know which way they are going to move.

BikeGary

View attachment 5266

View attachment 5267

My option to go with compressed air as the motive power for an variable loadness "Air Zound" Air horn, from ebay.
The right side has a Ring- Ring OLD conventional bicycle bell for OLD people on a bike path so they recognize the bell sound!

The load air horn, with a hard to set variable pinch valve to vary the volume of air flow, and hence loudness, is for cars that turn left( in the GREAT Land Down Under, we drive on the correct side of the road, LEFT) across my path, OR when passing (at 20+ kph faster) slow DF riders on ANY decent, as screaming at the top of my voice, or ringing my bell loudly, is not heard until I am next to them, and they get surprised.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Zound-Rechargeable-Bike-Horn-Bicycle-Cycle-Hooter-Siren-Honking-Loud-115db/311799452704?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160908110712&meid=3569a8d6aa2a4f88a77f8df30d506e57&pid=100677&rk=4&rkt=30&mehot=pp&sd=332118441836&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

So where did you mount the compressed air bottle on your Cruz bike? The boom? or under the frame?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
fastback with air horn bottle 4 cell battery 2 spare tubes.jpg
On the boom inside a fastback bag, so the bottle does not move around too much when strapped to the boom by itself, and hit my 100 cadence legs flying past it!!!
The bag also holds a 4 battery waterproof cell, two spare tubes, and three plastic tyre levers.
The bag top had to be cut open for the battery and air bottle to fit in, then 100 MPH tap sealed the large opening!
The battery case opens up, so I can charge the 4 1865 batteries individually on a 4 cell battery charger.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have a Ring Ring bell for most people, but the horn is for cars!

I tried a Ding Ding bell, but too many OLD(70+) men would turn 180 degrees, to locate the source of the noise, and move from the left side of a bike path(Australia), onto the right, where I was trying to pass them!
I have lifted the rear wheel 2-3 ft into the air at least three times using RIM brakes on my Silvio V1.0, on a DRY day!
VERY good braking compared to a DF bike! ie 8 ft (2.3 m) from 12.5 mph (20 kph) to O kph!

Where a DF would take 16 ft (4.6 m), and a Trike 4 ft (1.2 m)

Last edited: