If I can build up an S30, so can you

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Since so many here have documented their builds so professionally, this will be more of an amateur hour. :emoji_laughing:

I had been contemplating an upgrade from my Silvio 1.5 for several months. Much as I'd enjoyed it the past two years, I finally felt ready for a more laid-back, faster bike. I had planned to wait until I sold the 1.5 frameset, along with the Hase Kettwiesel delta trike my family hadn't ridden in a year, to buy the S30 frameset. But a day or two after Christmas, Facebook flashed one of its many notifications on my phone: "Recumbent Classified--Silvio S30..."

Wait, what? :eek:

Sure enough, it was Rose City Recumbents selling a demo S30 frameset, for about 20% off list. That was too good a deal to pass up. A quick consultation with my other half, a short Facebook-and-text conversation with Jonathan Garcia, a visit to PayPal...score!

The next week was consumed with ordering chains, cables, bar tape, etc., and placing for-sale posts hither and yon. Wonder of wonders, both the trike and the S1.5 frameset sold within a couple of days. So that weekend was spent disassembling and packing those, instead of starting on the S30.

Today, I was able to ride the S30 for the first time. Just in a parking lot and around the block, but I think I've made the right choice. Details to follow, with much still to do.

The requisite picture:
IMG_1132_crop_web.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
OR More Photos!!!!

What is the 33 degree seat back like compared to the 45 deg. of the V1.5, as far as low speed riding?

Last edited:

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
What is the 33 degree seat back like compared to the 45 deg. of the V1.5, as far as low speed riding?
This was mainly a "check the fit" type ride, not more than a mile or two. I sat up a bit during turns, but I don't think I'll have a problem handling the bike at the lower angle--unlike when I test-rode @ReklinedRider's V20 last summer. I could see the road right in front of the wheel almost as well as I could on the S1.5.

I was surprised by how much less weight rests on my glutes. The seat bottom is noticeably narrower front to back, almost like it's there only to keep me from sliding off the seat into the frame.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Great looking bike! Looking at the photo the only thing left to do is... ride it!
I wish! Front shifting isn't working yet, and the cable keeps popping off the pulley when I tighten it. Rear shifting mostly works, except it skips the next-to-largest cog coming down, and hangs on the third-smallest. The barrel adjuster doesn't seem to be doing squat.

Once I conquer the shifting, my new 150mm SRAM Apex crankset should be in from BikeSmith Designs. After I install it, the Q-rings will need to be oriented. Then it'll be ride and adjust time for fit and headrest.

But yeah, other than that, substantially complete. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Can you take a sideways photo of the front shifter wheel to see if the larger lip of the wheel is away from the frame (as on my ancient but comfortable 2008 Silvio V1.0).
Can the front shifter cable connection, to the shifter be on the other side of the clamp, so the cable angle is decreased?

I am a Shimano man, through and through, so one of SRAM devotes will have to help on the rear shifting problems!

I realize that the cabling is not complete, but here are two photos of Jason's very neat cabling with sifter barrel adjusters in an accessible location that does not create extra wind drag!

Jason neat cabling 1.jpg

Jason neat cabling 2 .jpg

Bruce B

"Once I conquer the shifting, my new 150mm SRAM Apex crankset should be in from BikeSmith Designs."

You will love those 150mm cranks

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
my new 150mm SRAM Apex crankset should be in from BikeSmith Designs.
Mark Stonich said in his e-mail, "Lately it seems like 1/3 of my customers are Cruzbike riders who need shorties and either want, or already have, Q-rings." Sounds like we're giving him plenty to do!

You will love those 150mm cranks
I like the 155s that came with my Q, so I figured why not? After I got the pedal and handlebar reach on the S30 more or less adjusted, I realized I wanted less knee bend than I'd had on the S1.5, since it's such a different riding position. The Rival cranks pictured are 165s.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Can you take a sideways photo of the front shifter wheel to see if the larger lip of the wheel is away from the frame
The little wheel the cable passes over to loop back to the front derailleur? That was already installed when I got the frameset. I'll check it tonight, though. The cable is coming off toward the inside.

Can the front shifter cable connection, to the shifter be on the other side of the clamp, so the cable angle is decreased?
It already is. My shifters are set up where the right hand shifts the FD. The cable run goes down both right-hand cable guides on the boom, as straight into the cable stop as it can get.

here are two photos of Jason's very neat cabling with sifter barrel adjusters in an accessible location
Very neat, indeed. I may get some of that red shift-cable housing once I have the fit dialed in and know the final housing lengths.

After sleeping on it, I've decided to rework the cable housings to change the placement of the barrel adjusters. That alone may help with the RD. If all else fails, I'll make an appointment with the SRAM expert at the LBS. I told him I wanted to learn how to build up my new bike, and he said he'd be happy to show me how to set up the derailleurs. I've watched videos, I've read instructions, I have a bunch of tabs open in my browser with threads from the forums. But there's nothing like hands-on experience.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Mark Stonich said in his e-mail, "Lately it seems like 1/3 of my customers are Cruzbike riders who need shorties and either want, or already have, Q-rings." Sounds like we're giving him plenty to do!
Ha Ha, that's interesting. Go Cruzbike Community...We learn, share, and evolve from each other. That made my day!!!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I don't know if the front derailleur pulley etc is set up like the V but if it is, let's take a look at it. Have had no problems w it.
Lovely, lovely bike!

hoyden

I've decided to rework the cable housings
Practice makes gooder. I've learned it'll never be perfect but I can usually get it good enough. I cut my cable housing using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.
the Q-rings will need to be oriented
I went through 3 adjustments before finding the sweet spot. Again, they may not be exact but the are good enough. I got confused about the index points; was the point designated where the chain is tangent to the ring or by the chosen reference bolt that identified the desired location. Ratz explained it in one of his posts as aligning the major axis relative to the pedal position providing the most leverage, which I sort of related to like top dead center in an engine piston. I put the major axis just beyond TDC, liked the way it felt, and declared victory.

hoyden

The stock Cruzbike handlebars installed upside-down along with the curved slider yields the sweetest riding position I've found so far, plus it provides a perfect mounting for mirrors. Thanks to reclined rider for this idea.